Author Topic: What happened to Virtueverse?  (Read 3713 times)

mattwo

• Underling
What happened to Virtueverse?
« on: April 07, 2019, 09:50:44 PM »
It seems to have vanished off the face of the internet.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
Re: What happened to Virtueverse?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 08:14:03 PM »
Virtueverse has been offline since Fall 2018.

I've emailed the owner of the site three times to no avail.  I don't know if or when it is coming back.  :-[
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 10:19:25 PM »
Tahquitz forgot to indicate out of character in the emails :P

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 03:30:18 PM »
Where's the Gmail plugin?  AutoOOC?

mattwo

• Underling
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 01:08:57 AM »
So it just vanished without a trace? I hate it when that happens to websites and people on the internet.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 05:51:24 AM »
I wonder if Tony would be willing to host the virtueverse data (if the owner can ever be reached).

Also IIRC virtueverse also sub-hosted a big roleplaying wiki for one of the EU servers.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2019, 08:54:40 AM »
Guys, the data is gone.  It left when the site went down.  The site owner didn't back it up.

We had a similar problem before shutdown with RPCongress on Pinnacle, except that we got hacked.  The site owner said flatly that he did not have the time, the resources, or the knowledge to keep it backed up, and if there were things we wanted saved, we'd better save them to our own computers.

I'll bet anything that Virtueverse was operated under the same conditions.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2019, 07:59:14 PM »
So it just vanished without a trace? I hate it when that happens to websites and people on the internet.

Wayback Machine.  Search in the Virtueverse won't work, you have to navigate the labyrinthine links and find out what got archived and when.  So it's a narrow chance, but it's a chance.

But maybe... a glimmer of hope?  The domain isn't giving us fake search results or selling us real estate yet. 
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 08:07:59 PM by Tahquitz »

mattwo

• Underling
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2019, 09:32:57 PM »
Wayback Machine.  Search in the Virtueverse won't work, you have to navigate the labyrinthine links and find out what got archived and when.  So it's a narrow chance, but it's a chance.

My userpage is gone and I can't find any of my old characters' pages, doesn't help that most of the category pages don't go past the first page and that's just for the ones that work at all.

Edit: NVM I found one https://web.archive.org/web/20160418112720/http://virtueverse.net/wiki/Doctor_Tigress

Boy was I bad at writing... I mean I kind of still am but this is just embarrassing.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 09:38:44 PM by mattwo »

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2019, 06:53:46 AM »
I cringe reading my first RP story too.  https://ouroportal.com/wiki/Tahquitz_(Triumph)/RP  This wasn't on Ouro Portal before the shutdown, I pulled that from the Wayback Machine a year ago from before GuildPortal and it's demise.  (My sin remains: I don't know where to edit. :P )

mattwo

• Underling
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2019, 11:55:07 AM »
Actually this was a far cry from my first attempt at roleplay. My username actually comes from an old Pokemon roleplay back when I went by pigebird (a misspelling of pidgeybird) on Compuserve. I think... I forget honestly. I think I came up with it when I was 18 when I wrote a dumb crossover fanfic but I know for a fact I roleplayed on AOL and/or Compuserve in the 90s.

ransim

• Underling
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2019, 07:05:55 PM »
I'm a bit amused by people talking for me here or making some broad assumptions.

Yes, I'm basically hard to reach nowadays, but twitter remains the most reliable way to reach me, same handle I've used since forever, @ransim. The site and the data weren't lost, I just haven't had time to finish fixing it after migrating it to a new server.

It also hasn't been offline since the Fall, the old server went down in February.

Don't believe me? http://virtueverse.net/vv/index.php?title=Main_Page

When I have time to fix it, clean up the install, and fix all of the URL rewrites it'll be up again. If someone has time to volunteer to doing this I'm open to volunteers.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2019, 07:11:50 PM »
This is something I'm glad to be wrong about!

emperorsteele

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2019, 03:05:23 AM »
Haha, neat... oh and hey, my character's page is still there!

...not linking because it's cringy as hell.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2019, 04:27:29 AM »
FYI, someone started a forum for CoH roleplayers today, and it uses "Virtue-Verse" in the title: https://paragonroleplayers.enjin.com/
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

ransim

• Underling
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2019, 06:09:44 PM »
Thanks to help from krellen and tipsy its back

http://www.virtueverse.net

Old links should now work as expected. It's still being worked on, so things might break here and there. If you have questions or want an account join the discord https://discord.gg/sheFXcV.

We're also still looking for volunteers with mediawiki and php experience, going to have a pretty big lift upgrading the site.

AmberOfDzu

• Boss
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2019, 08:35:47 PM »
I cannot finds the words to thank you properly. <3

Megajoule

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2019, 06:28:00 AM »
Thanks again for everything, ransim.

navyrayne

• Minion
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2019, 12:37:02 PM »
Never did get in to virtue verse like I wanted and now I kinda feel a lot of regret. I hope it comes back, :(
Community and Media Relations Manager - Pixel Constructor LLC - Grumpy Witch
Formerly,
Community Manager - Kerbal Space Program - Squad Games
Community Manager - Legends of Aethereus - Three Gates Studio
Community and Media Relations Manager - Heliborne - JetCatGames

ransim

• Underling
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2019, 05:19:28 PM »
Gladly, I just wish every time the site had a issue people didn't accuse me of being irresponsible and not managing it properly.

I've keep it going over 10 years now with relatively few hiccups. Dang high maintenance Virtue players.  :roll: