Author Topic: Wondering Lately  (Read 3324 times)

Styng

• Underling
Wondering Lately
« on: April 09, 2019, 04:42:05 PM »
I have been wondering lately why NCSoft hasn't done anything about Paragon Chat or SEGs that I'm aware off, is there a reason or are they just not that bothered about these versions of CoH while it's not fully playable?

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
Re: Wondering Lately
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 12:51:22 PM »
People were running a fully-functioning EverQuest emulation for 6 years before Sony/Daybreak did something. And what did Daybreak do? They officially endorsed them. :o :D 8)

Unless you're making bank from your thing and not using any of their code, they're not likely to care much. Paragon Chat is just an XMPP chat program that interfaces with the CoX client. It's not really violating anything. It's my understanding that SEGS is being built from the ground up to just connect with the existing CoH client. No NCSoft server code is being used -- they don't have it.
aka Majadi | Sugar Cane | Absinthe | Killer Antz | Bogatyra | ...
Best Video Game of 2016 -- Paragon Chat!!!
Codewalker for Mayor of Paragon!

Styng

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 04:58:00 PM »
People were running a fully-functioning EverQuest emulation for 6 years before Sony/Daybreak did something. And what did Daybreak do? They officially endorsed them. :o :D 8)

Unless you're making bank from your thing and not using any of their code, they're not likely to care much. Paragon Chat is just an XMPP chat program that interfaces with the CoX client. It's not really violating anything. It's my understanding that SEGS is being built from the ground up to just connect with the existing CoH client. No NCSoft server code is being used -- they don't have it.

Thanks for the reply, so as long as you don't make an money from said emulations everything is okay, with regards to SEGs they won't then be able to use any of the story lines or missions, but have to make there own?

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 12:54:15 PM »
I don't know what their plan is, but I'm sure the storylines and missions will be the same (or as close as possible).

The EverQuest emu that I was talking about (Project 1999), for instance, prides itself on getting their game as near as possible to the classic EQ experience (the only major significance is the timeline, which has affected the world economy).
aka Majadi | Sugar Cane | Absinthe | Killer Antz | Bogatyra | ...
Best Video Game of 2016 -- Paragon Chat!!!
Codewalker for Mayor of Paragon!

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 01:06:03 PM »
I don't know what their plan is, but I'm sure the storylines and missions will be the same (or as close as possible).

No they're going out of their way not to have the same stories and missions. Doing everything they can to avoid even a sniff of copyright violation. Should check out their YouTube page, the are some explanatory vids. Of course there's always the possibility that people will create thinly veiled tribute missions on their own servers.

Styng

• Underling
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 03:14:46 PM »
Thanks for the replies folks, looking forward as guessing the rest of you are for the success of SEGs, City of Titans and Ship of Heroes.

Cyanpill

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 03:41:14 PM »
Keep in mind that when blizzard shut down emulators, they only targeted server and not the code. SEGS is the code, its up to the community to make their own servers.
SEGS! Discuss at https://discord.gg/3fZebB

mattwo

• Underling
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2019, 01:16:38 AM »

They've always been far more lax about server emulators than most MMO companies though. Just look at all the SWG emulators, starting with SWGEmu. Course I imagine that the game has been in Legal Limbo since Disney bought Lucasarts though that said, it still uses other IPs currently owned by Disney such as character copyrights and all the trademarks (granted, Trademarks only need to be enforced if there's a risk of genericide and even then most cases of genericide save for Escalator (apparently it's generally a bad idea to use a trademark to describe your trademarked brand in such a context as "escalator products") have been for reasons unrelated to the concept of genericide itself ("Asprin" was confiscated due to Bayer colluding with the Germans in WWI meanwhile trademarks such as Jell-O, Band-Aid and Kleenex are not legally considered genericized)) so it's a bit of a surprise that Disney hasn't cracked down on them yet, given their own reputation.

There's also Phantasy Star Online but again, Sega supports romhacks and homebrew fangames (like the terrible smash bros style Master System game) on their Sega Genesis/Mega Drive and Master System emulator on Steam with the workshop and they generally turn a blind eye to fangames.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 01:24:26 AM by mattwo »

Styng

• Underling
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2019, 07:17:02 AM »
They've always been far more lax about server emulators than most MMO companies though. Just look at all the SWG emulators, starting with SWGEmu. Course I imagine that the game has been in Legal Limbo since Disney bought Lucasarts though that said, it still uses other IPs currently owned by Disney such as character copyrights and all the trademarks (granted, Trademarks only need to be enforced if there's a risk of genericide and even then most cases of genericide save for Escalator (apparently it's generally a bad idea to use a trademark to describe your trademarked brand in such a context as "escalator products") have been for reasons unrelated to the concept of genericide itself ("Asprin" was confiscated due to Bayer colluding with the Germans in WWI meanwhile trademarks such as Jell-O, Band-Aid and Kleenex are not legally considered genericized)) so it's a bit of a surprise that Disney hasn't cracked down on them yet, given their own reputation.

There's also Phantasy Star Online but again, Sega supports romhacks and homebrew fangames (like the terrible smash bros style Master System game) on their Sega Genesis/Mega Drive and Master System emulator on Steam with the workshop and they generally turn a blind eye to fangames.

I just can't see NCSoft endorsing an emulator for CoH, even though it's been over 6 years since the game shut down, they wouldn't sell the IP (reasons unknown to most of us) even though there were teams who wanted to buy. They used some characters in another game that wasn't a success and didn't last that long, then again Korean business thinking is different from Western way of thinking from what I've read on various posts on the forum.

Who thinks with the success of MCU they have missed out on some big opportunities for CoH if it had still been running, I always thought they could of done more to advertise to encourage new players to try CoH.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2019, 08:52:03 AM »
Not to mention that right this moment, there is a brand new market that is expanding.

Aging gamers.

Us old farts don't have the twitch reflexes to successfully play, say, Overwatch.  We loves us some superheroes.  And with the kids grown and if not gone, at least no longer needing adult supervision and carting to soccer games, we have free time again.

Look how many "retro" versions of games are back.

The fact that they didn't see this coming just shows how narrow and restricted their focus is.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

mattwo

• Underling
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2019, 09:34:35 AM »
They used some characters in another game that wasn't a success and didn't last that long, then again Korean business thinking is different from Western way of thinking from what I've read on various posts on the forum.

Clearly not if they made the same mistake Blizzard made with Heroes of the Storm. Trying to capitalize on the MOBA craze way too freaking late... Only difference is that Blizzard at least TRIES to care about their fans, even if their higher ups at ActiBlizz are the absolute worst and that's why Heroes of the Storm is still alive and people are still playing it.

By constrast, no one who knew anything about NCSoft played MxM and if they did, they didn't stay long because it was garbage anyway and as such, no one wanted it to outstay its welcome.

Brand loyalty can be a powerful tool but brand disloyalty can be a dangerous and even more powerful mistake.

Styng

• Underling
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2019, 08:26:30 AM »
The fact that they didn't see this coming just shows how narrow and restricted their focus is.

By constrast, no one who knew anything about NCSoft played MxM and if they did, they didn't stay long because it was garbage anyway and as such, no one wanted it to outstay its welcome.

I don't believe NCSoft cater for the Western audience if they were honest, they rather focus to much towards the Asian market which can be understood as they are an Asian company, but this is to short sighted, when it comes to business opportunities.

CoH was actually making money if what we have been told is true, as I previously mentioned if they had kept the game going and looked at better marketing they would of had a bigger and wider audience. Especially with the MCU beginning to gather speed and growing into the Juggernaut it is today, which again they didn't see coming or anticipate, short sighted or wrong people in positions making the wrong decisions?

mattwo

• Underling
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2019, 12:14:41 PM »
I don't believe NCSoft cater for the Western audience if they were honest, they rather focus to much towards the Asian market which can be understood as they are an Asian company

And what exactly makes you think it's just the western market that's salty about their favorite NCSoft games being shut down? I mean ignoring the fact that Asian players most likely played on American west coast servers for the ones not released in Asia (they even gave the Korean CoH beta testers free CoH accounts for the American servers when the Korean version failed to launch), there's also ones like Exteel and PangYa.

If the Korean market's consumers weren't mad at NCSoft then why did the game simply die instead of going into maintenance mode like HotS did? NCSoft probably has the budget to make it work and it'd basically allow them to continue profiting for even less cost than they put in to begin with.

Styng

• Underling
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2019, 07:12:47 AM »
And what exactly makes you think it's just the western market that's salty about their favorite NCSoft games being shut down?

Good point, I don't! Maybe what I should of said was that NCSoft don't really understand there customers, I wonder if any of the board members at NCSoft are gamers?

NCSoft probably has the budget to make it work and it'd basically allow them to continue profiting for even less cost than they put in to begin with.

Still can't quite understand if a game was making money why shut it down?

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2019, 02:05:22 PM »
Not to mention that right this moment, there is a brand new market that is expanding.

Aging gamers.

Us old farts don't have the twitch reflexes to successfully play, say, Overwatch.  We loves us some superheroes.  And with the kids grown and if not gone, at least no longer needing adult supervision and carting to soccer games, we have free time again.

Look how many "retro" versions of games are back.

You are spot on. After City of Heroes shut down I wasn't interested in playing these new games they have now.  I'm only interested in superheroes. I only watch superhero tv shows and movies. I don't like fantasy genre games, movies, and tv shows. That's just me.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2019, 03:52:55 AM »
I'm still enjoying Secret World Legends but only because I've fallen in with a good group of people.   Otherwise, the lack of content would have driven me away a long time ago.