Author Topic: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release  (Read 270498 times)

Mister Hassenpheffer

• Boss
    • 3D printouts?!
Re: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release
« Reply #1260 on: April 24, 2019, 12:09:59 PM »
You know, I think this is my last post here.

We have now got people who have secretly had a server for 6 years keep control of said server and only share it with those they deem worthy.
The same people have lied and misdirected on Reddit and have overthrown the people at Discord. They brook no dissent and everything they do is to maintain power for themselves.

I hear "Community Run Server" bandied about - whose Community? SCoRE and their lackeys? I am happy if the game comes back but other than to donate to keep servers up I am not supporting the lies and cloak and dagger these people seem to revel in.

Please feel free to delete my account here - I am gone.

I wish you would reconsider your stance.

I don't speak for anyone but myself.

As far as that private server goes? I'll say this: I saw first hand what one troll managed to do to the public server.

One. Troll.

I don't blame them for their cloak and dagger. Not one bit.

Don't bother hating me for my opinion. It's always been unpopular.

Does being excluded like that hurt? Of course.

But look where we are now. Now is what matters.

How else could or would we have gotten to this point?

NcSoft has never listened before, but they are now?

Don't give in to that rift. Stick around.

Nightmarer

• Boss
  • We all float down here
« Reply #1261 on: April 24, 2019, 12:18:23 PM »
As much as it pains me see Ironwolf getting so fed up he wants to leave and not to hear from anyone here, I understand him. What I don't understand is why some people still hold that tight to control (now that NCSoft know everything, it can't be that) and why would anyone be so low, despicable and imbecilic to send or hint or whatever that troll exactly did, a fake C&D.

Honestly, I read over and over that a few rotten apples should not tarnish the community and I agree, but we should also acknowledge that the rotten apples we have seem to be rotten to unimaginable levels and perhaps some sort of naming and shaming would not be the worst idea, or maybe it is, I don't know, I just hate havimng that kind of people shielded inside a great community and shattering it from the inside to amuse their own tardiness.

Mister Hassenpheffer

• Boss
    • 3D printouts?!
« Reply #1262 on: April 24, 2019, 12:29:06 PM »
Some people are so miserable they only exist to watch the world burn.

Either the world or something someone or a group of people worked hard for.

They are so miserable its the only thing they have going for them, to make others either as miserable or even worse than they are.

That old say, misery loves company.

Those trolls? KOS. 

That's the only way I know how to deal with them, to stop their destruction from spreading.

Kick them, ban them, have everyone on the same table, and as much as it has been used against us in the past, a unified front should be our response to trolls or the would-be destroyers of all the hard work. It's just a joke to them, and I am not laughing.

Make an example: Destruction is NOT wanted here.

We can't let that rift win. We've come too far.

AmberOfDzu

• Boss
« Reply #1263 on: April 24, 2019, 12:30:32 PM »
I second the bunny.

If this had come into the open a few years ago, it might have met with immediate legal attack.

If I had been the one who had technically knowingly received millions' worth of stolen property, I would have been exceedingly careful with and quiet about what I did with it too, even if I believed I was on morally strong ground.

If I was using my personal business to host a private (illegal) server, I would be wary of legal threats too. Trolls can make up pretty convincing stuff. I can't say I wouldn't have panicked either.

If I had connections with the original owner, but wasn't personally involved with such an effort, I'd quietly contact them as well and see if there might be some accommodation possible.

Things change; over time, the IP value of the game has fallen. it's a year older every year, older code, older assets; eventually, the owners will abandon it. Maybe they already have, and will only give us a formal "don't use it" followed by no action at all. Even executive levels of corporations have personnel turn-over. Even if some of the names are the same, not all of them will be.

Maybe they're concerned about legal exposure from personal account information that might have been in the original data stolen. Maybe they would be willing to reach an accommodation just to get enthusiastic scrubbing/purging.

On the Discord team side, this is a crash effort run by the seat of the pants and working off passion, caffeine and volunteer effort; in large part by folks who've never had that much responsibility before in their lives. But they stepped up, like heroes. The may make mistakes, but I understand that.

There aren't any villains here; just good people, trying to do what they can, with what they have, in a trying situation with potential pitfalls the likes of which they've never had to deal with personally before.

Courage doesn't mean you're not afraid - it means you go on anyway.

navyrayne

• Minion
« Reply #1264 on: April 24, 2019, 12:36:06 PM »
Third-ed.

Things are so very much different this time around. So much brighter. So many of our brothers and sisters were able to play again and I can tell you, that being in both discords and hearing the elation and sheer joy from those that got to play again really did a number on my emotions.

We're in a much different spot now than ever before and all these people posting rumors, lies, falsehoods, misstruths, what ever we want to call them are simply far to toxic for us to work with.

Community and Media Relations Manager - Pixel Constructor LLC - Grumpy Witch
Formerly,
Community Manager - Kerbal Space Program - Squad Games
Community Manager - Legends of Aethereus - Three Gates Studio
Community and Media Relations Manager - Heliborne - JetCatGames

Mister Hassenpheffer

• Boss
    • 3D printouts?!
« Reply #1265 on: April 24, 2019, 12:49:52 PM »
I might not get another chance for this.

Ironwolf, Thank you.

Thank you for all you have done for this community.

Thank you for sticking around for as long as you have.

I wish we could talk. There is so much of my personal life I wish I could share with you.

Just to give you an inkling, that I know how frustrating it's been.

I can tell you are emotionally exhausted. I am too.

So yeah, take some time off.  Just don't leave.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1266 on: April 24, 2019, 01:06:03 PM »

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #1267 on: April 24, 2019, 01:09:42 PM »
Oh, what did it say? 

I just checked my account settings, and apparently I had "allow other members to  email me" NOT checked!  Ahhhh!

I can't even tell what email I registered under originally, and it was many years ago now.  Ugh.  I've been waiting 7 years for that email, and now this.   :P

When you post in a thread, or click "notify" at the top of one, it should show up in your notifications list, which is accessed through your profile here (um on mobile or I'd give better instructions). So you don't need your email to see what it says.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

navyrayne

• Minion
« Reply #1268 on: April 24, 2019, 01:11:19 PM »
Formerly,

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1269 on: April 24, 2019, 01:30:56 PM »
Question for you all

The bug Hunter badge. I hated that it was awarded only at the whim of the devs.

That being said, should the badge auto award to any new character that logs into a private server?

Technically all players would be likely to report flaws and bugs thus they are all bug hunters by default......or perhaps setup a story arc where players stomp a bunch of rikti monkeys and get the badge at the end?

I agree that it could stand to be a little wider awarded, maybe to people who do test and find bugs... but I also think it's a bold assumption that "all players" would report bugs.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

kiario

• Boss
  • CoH Fanboy
« Reply #1270 on: April 24, 2019, 01:35:29 PM »

We have now got people who have secretly had a server for 6 years keep control of said server and only share it with those they deem worthy.
The same people have lied and misdirected on Reddit and have overthrown the people at Discord. They brook no dissent and everything they do is to maintain power for themselves.

I hear "Community Run Server" bandied about - whose Community? SCoRE and their lackeys? I am happy if the game comes back but other than to donate to keep servers up I am not supporting the lies and cloak and dagger these people seem to revel in.

Dont delve into the past too much IW. Dont let it press you down.
People have made mistakes in this issue, still make perhaps but we are people. Everyone is different.
Money is evil and can corrupt anyone.

I dont know much about the details in this drama, but I dont care so much personally. Dont let it get to me.

All that matters is that we get a stable future proof version of CoH running.
If we think too much about what is going on behind the curtains in our lives it wont be easy.

You can buy a car or some furniture and without knowing there could be illegal or inhuman stuff going on to provide them to customers.

Kratos says to his son in GoW,
Close your heart to it...

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
« Reply #1271 on: April 24, 2019, 01:38:02 PM »
The way I see it, then was not the time.  If it had become public knowledge back then, it would have been swatted down, and I don't believe we would be where we are today.  On the verge of getting our game back on many potential fronts.  The leverage is more on the side of the players now that the code has been released, and THAT is the main thing that could make the difference with NCSoft this time around.  That, and changes in leadership there over the years to folks who are even less invested in this IP than the original ones were. 

One way or another, we are getting our game back.  It is just a matter of whether it is a private server, or a sanctioned community server, or both.  I will be watching with great interest, but I am not interested in the least in recriminations, or exacting revenge on those who were on the original SCORE server all this time.  If anything, I envy them, but I don't begrudge them something that I myself would have likely done, if I had the chance.  I think most of us would have.
What was no more, is now reborn!

navyrayne

• Minion
« Reply #1272 on: April 24, 2019, 01:39:21 PM »
No one overthrew anyone in discord Ironwolf,  kind of at a loss as to what you're talking about there.

What we need right now is understanding, and not rumor mill and hate. If they were doing everything just to "maintain power" then none of what has happened over the last week would have. Leo wouldn't have put out the code, and helped set up the server in the first place.

We can only hope this turns out good.
-LadyRayneCloud
Formerly,

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #1273 on: April 24, 2019, 01:43:20 PM »
The Discord wasn't overthrown, it self-imploded. Loath him or love him, it's been a total amateur hour over there except for Leandro, while the public server admins have been busy in-fighting, jockeying for power, mired in petty drama, bigotry, and finally went soft at the first sign of a C&D.

The most annoyed I've been this week about SCORE is when I heard Leandro got a few thousand people in before it all blew up. Wow, I would not have let that many people in, personally. NCSoft, y'all. fite me.

Forgive me for being out of the loop lately, and I like Ironwolf a lot, and I think he's leaving exactly when he's needed the most, but I don't care what people like the public server admins think about Leandro or the Titan Network or cloak and dagger or anything else for that matter, and if it can be passed into the Titan Network's capable and well-moderated hands going forward, okay, cool story bro, sounds legit, where's my game already, stop being dramatic, let's do this.

Korbian

« Reply #1274 on: April 24, 2019, 01:43:59 PM »
That, and changes in leadership there over the years to folks who are even less invested in this IP than the original ones were.

Ooooooh.  I hadn't even thought of that.  If that actually is the case that could totally work in our favor.

RGladden

• Boss
« Reply #1275 on: April 24, 2019, 01:45:29 PM »
I might not get another chance for this.

Ironwolf, Thank you.

Thank you for all you have done for this community.

Thank you for sticking around for as long as you have.

I wish we could talk. There is so much of my personal life I wish I could share with you.

Just to give you an inkling, that I know how frustrating it's been.

I can tell you are emotionally exhausted. I am too.

So yeah, take some time off.  Just don't leave.

I second that motion.  Ironwolf, I appreciate everything that you have done for the CoH community.  Please do not leave.  Step back, catch your breath, and try not to let all of this crap get to you.  This is a great community, but like all great communities it isn't perfect.  No matter what you or any of us may do, that will never change.  So don't sweat that part of it.  Thumbs up!

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1276 on: April 24, 2019, 01:47:25 PM »

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1277 on: April 24, 2019, 02:05:29 PM »

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1278 on: April 24, 2019, 02:06:17 PM »

But why leave Titan? Titan Network kept itself entirely separate from SCoRE once the initial recruitment happened. Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "overthrown the people at discord." The original discord server was not run by Leandro or SCoRE by any means, and still isn't. And the new reddit discord was made by the new, current reddit mods, who have absolutely nothing to do with SCoRE (otherwise people wouldn't trust them to mod the reddit). Their reasons for making a new server are laid out in their post, and clearly have nothing to do with SCoRE.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1279 on: April 24, 2019, 02:07:20 PM »
I second that motion.  Ironwolf, I appreciate everything that you have done for the CoH community.  Please do not leave.  Step back, catch your breath, and try not to let all of this crap get to you.  This is a great community, but like all great communities it isn't perfect.  No matter what you or any of us may do, that will never change.  So don't sweat that part of it.  Thumbs up!

Count to ten, Iron Wolf.

The community needs you, Leandro, SCORE, Discord CoH and Tony exploring all options.

It doesn't matter about 'who said what to who.'

What matters is the game is back.  (Thanks to Leandro and SCORE for safeguarding and progressing...)

But the time is now to race to get it into the hands of the many.

Azrael.