Author Topic: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release  (Read 270387 times)

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
Re: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release
« Reply #1280 on: April 24, 2019, 02:08:52 PM »
IF Score went public right after the shut down or during the first few years especially when sales talks seemed to be moving along, things would have imploded.

NCsoft very likely would have shut ScoRe down and ceased all talks and we'd be left in the cold.

That being said, it is a shame that they had to be private for so long and discourage rumors about their server, but as the Discord has shown, it only takes ONE TROLL to cause panic, and dare I say....discord.  That is what happened this past week and now they are picking up the pieces.

If NCSoft gets their head out of their corporate assets and sanctions a community with Titan overseeing it, that would be great. However if Score still sticks to their plan to create private server packages even if NCsoft sanctions a community then that is even better.

NCsoft could turn around and shut down a sanctioned community for all we know and we'd be all left in the cold again. 

Also private servers will exist even if a sanctioned community does happen.  I am quite confident that once a "private server for dummies" package is available to download I shall work to get my own server up and running, it may not be overnight, and I would still want to use the sanctioned community but I will still have a private server of my own.

NCSoft is losing this fight at long last and as some have mentioned it is possible that different people are running the show over there and we might get a more reasonable response.

As to the person that swiped the i24 code and player database so that Score could get running and now we all have a chance to return to our city.......

.......THANK YOU.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 02:15:24 PM by Sinistar »
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1281 on: April 24, 2019, 02:08:59 PM »
But why leave Titan? Titan Network kept itself entirely separate from SCoRE once the initial recruitment happened. Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "overthrown the people at discord." The original discord server was not run by Leandro or SCoRE by any means, and still isn't. And the new reddit discord was made by the new, current reddit mods, who have absolutely nothing to do with SCoRE (otherwise people wouldn't trust them to mod the reddit). Their reasons for making a new server are laid out in their post, and clearly have nothing to do with SCoRE.

Aye.

Azrael.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1282 on: April 24, 2019, 02:11:15 PM »
IF Score went public right after the shut down or during the first few years especially when sales talks seemed to be moving along, things would have imploded.

NCsoft very likely would have shut ScoRe down and ceased all talks and we'd be left in the cold.

That being said, it is a shame that they had to be private for so long and discourage rumors about their server, but as the Discord has shown, it only takes ONE TROLL to cause panic, and dare I say....discord.  That is what happened this past week and now they are picking up the pieces.

If NCSoft gets their head out of their corporate assets and sanctions a community with Titan overseeing it, that would be great. However if Score still sticks to their plan to create private server packages even if NCsoft sanctions a community then that is even better.

NCsoft could turn around and shut down a sanctioned community for all we know and we'd be all left in the cold again. 

Also private servers will exist even if a sanctioned community does happen.

NCSoft is losing this fight at long last and as some have mentioned it is possible that different people are running the show over there and we might get a more reasonable response.

As to the person that swiped the i24 code and player database so that Score could get running and now we all have a chance to return to our city.......

.......THANK YOU.

Good post.

Azrael.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1283 on: April 24, 2019, 02:12:22 PM »
I might not get another chance for this.

Ironwolf, Thank you.

Thank you for all you have done for this community.

Thank you for sticking around for as long as you have.

I wish we could talk. There is so much of my personal life I wish I could share with you.

Just to give you an inkling, that I know how frustrating it's been.

I can tell you are emotionally exhausted. I am too.

So yeah, take some time off.  Just don't leave.

Yes.

Stick around, Ironwolf.  The community needs you more than ever.

All of us.

We need to stick together on this one.

Azrael.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1284 on: April 24, 2019, 02:15:43 PM »
It is time to stop litigating the past.

Weve got enough new drama to fill our time.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1285 on: April 24, 2019, 02:16:47 PM »
I second the bunny.

If this had come into the open a few years ago, it might have met with immediate legal attack.

If I had been the one who had technically knowingly received millions' worth of stolen property, I would have been exceedingly careful with and quiet about what I did with it too, even if I believed I was on morally strong ground.

If I was using my personal business to host a private (illegal) server, I would be wary of legal threats too. Trolls can make up pretty convincing stuff. I can't say I wouldn't have panicked either.

If I had connections with the original owner, but wasn't personally involved with such an effort, I'd quietly contact them as well and see if there might be some accommodation possible.

Things change; over time, the IP value of the game has fallen. it's a year older every year, older code, older assets; eventually, the owners will abandon it. Maybe they already have, and will only give us a formal "don't use it" followed by no action at all. Even executive levels of corporations have personnel turn-over. Even if some of the names are the same, not all of them will be.

Maybe they're concerned about legal exposure from personal account information that might have been in the original data stolen. Maybe they would be willing to reach an accommodation just to get enthusiastic scrubbing/purging.

On the Discord team side, this is a crash effort run by the seat of the pants and working off passion, caffeine and volunteer effort; in large part by folks who've never had that much responsibility before in their lives. But they stepped up, like heroes. The may make mistakes, but I understand that.

There aren't any villains here; just good people, trying to do what they can, with what they have, in a trying situation with potential pitfalls the likes of which they've never had to deal with personally before.

Courage doesn't mean you're not afraid - it means you go on anyway.

You know what, folks?  Read this.

Amber, that is the must beautiful summing up of the situation.

Poetry.

It's a little bigger than a Haiku...

...but it has all of it's eloquence.

*approves.

Azrael.

bugzee

« Reply #1286 on: April 24, 2019, 02:16:58 PM »
Feeling good with all the progress I have seen  :) People are really working around the clock on this. Coming here to the forums for 7 years, and I finally see something happening. Its unreal... Here is hoping for a legalized public server /em Beer

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1287 on: April 24, 2019, 02:24:54 PM »
Feeling good with all the progress I have seen  :) People are really working around the clock on this. Coming here to the forums for 7 years, and I finally see something happening. Its unreal... Here is hoping for a legalized public server /em Beer

A CoH server is going to happen.

And lots of them.

As the saying goes, 'We can do this the easy way...or the hard way.'

Azrael.

Zombie Man

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1288 on: April 24, 2019, 02:27:51 PM »
And a new i25 server is up and running.

The problem with community led projects is that many (not all) of those most enthusiastic are also those who are absolutely the wrong people to be in the leadership positions that they put themselves in. No experience in organization, leadership, PR. And no common sense, or very little, which gets overrun by emotion. That's why I left one of the "spiritual successors." So dysfunctional.

That's why I have faith in TonyV and Titan Network. Proven leaderships and level headedness.

I will say this for the Discord group: their coders are amazing.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1289 on: April 24, 2019, 02:32:45 PM »

They really are.  I've been nothing but impressed with that part of the COH Discord.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1290 on: April 24, 2019, 02:42:37 PM »
They really are.  I've been nothing but impressed with that part of the COH Discord.

Yes.  Indeed.

'That part of Discord COH' has been most impressive.

Azrael.

PS.  They are getting absolutely hammered at the moment.  Can't register in the forums and therefore create a game account. :D
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 03:12:02 PM by Azrael »

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1291 on: April 24, 2019, 03:15:38 PM »

The problem with community led projects is that many (not all) of those most enthusiastic are also those who are absolutely the wrong people to be in the leadership positions that they put themselves in. No experience in organization, leadership, PR. And no common sense, or very little, which gets overrun by emotion. That's why I left one of the "spiritual successors." So dysfunctional.

That's why I have faith in TonyV and Titan Network. Proven leaderships and level headedness.

Their coders have been amazing.  Doing some great stuff patching i25 on the fly.  It was like the 'live' server before the 'take down.'

Tony V.  Aye.  Calm head.  Proven leadership.

And again, with i25 'temp' up again.  Thanks be to Leandro for coming through.  AGAIN!

Azrael.

RGladden

• Boss
« Reply #1292 on: April 24, 2019, 03:32:06 PM »

Yep.  Makes one wonder if they've done this sort of thing before... :)

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1293 on: April 24, 2019, 03:37:49 PM »
Yep.  Makes one wonder if they've done this sort of thing before... :)

*smiles.

Azrael.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1294 on: April 24, 2019, 05:14:48 PM »
may want to check discords latest updates
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

bugzee

« Reply #1295 on: April 24, 2019, 05:26:59 PM »
Yep, apparently, full i25 binaries have been leaked "just made available for download".
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 06:05:36 PM by bugzee »

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #1296 on: April 24, 2019, 05:51:48 PM »
What do you mean "leaked", weren't they already out? Leandro wouldn't have dumped them on some discord rando's server if he didn't expect them to make copies.

bugzee

« Reply #1297 on: April 24, 2019, 06:03:35 PM »
What do you mean "leaked", weren't they already out? Leandro wouldn't have dumped them on some discord rando's server if he didn't expect them to make copies.

Yes sir, you are correct.

slickriptide

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1298 on: April 24, 2019, 06:14:07 PM »

The situation prior to this was that we had the full I-24 source files and an assortment of data files of varying vintage. We also had ***** and an anonymous-but-clearly-knowledgable-person helping sort out some issues that occurred due to the code and the production client being out of sync vintage-wise.

"I-25" was not supposed to be disseminated to the general public. It was put into the hands of people who needed to have it in order to get working server online but otherwise it was (last we heard) intended to be limited in availability. And, truthfully, most everyone doing coding work doesn't want it anyway since they want to get the I-24 code working.

Judging by a note that was included in the leaked archive of "I-25" binaries, whoever leaked it felt he was being Mr. Destroyer Stroyer all over again and saving the world from the evil conspiracy between TonyV and NCSoft to control the server code.

I suppose the one good thing about it is that it's distracted all of the non-coders in the code discussion channel into going somewhere else to shoot the breeze and let the coding discussion be about, well, coding.

Moderator Note:  I don't know if that individual's involvement is widespread public knowledge, and that sort of thing can be looked upon quite unfavorably in the gaming industry, so I removed the name as a precaution for their protection.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 11:19:43 PM by eabrace »

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1299 on: April 24, 2019, 06:14:32 PM »

I'm not sure his expectations matter at this point.