Author Topic: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release  (Read 269278 times)

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
Re: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release
« Reply #1340 on: April 24, 2019, 11:27:38 PM »
Yeah, and there were also toxic people unrelated to the CoH community joining in and stoking the fires.

Reminds me of what Kay said in Men in Black

A person is smart, people are dumb, panicky danderous animals and you know it. 1500 years ago everybody knew the earth was th center of the universe, 500years ago everybody knew the earth was flat, and 15 minutes ago you knew that humans were alone on this planet.

Well given how th CoH community reacted over the past week.....it is hard to argue against his opinion of people as large groups.

Ive lost track of all the movies, concerts or protests I have been too that started out well and one or two jerks screw it up for all
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1341 on: April 24, 2019, 11:28:22 PM »
He's not talking about rolling back the mechanics, just the story-related content. Wouldn't be my thing personally but progression servers are popular with other MMOs.

Ah, my error I misread
In fearful COH-less days

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #1342 on: April 24, 2019, 11:37:55 PM »
There's been rapid progress with i25 binaries - seems there's a server-in-a-box virtual machine out there now.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #1343 on: April 24, 2019, 11:46:55 PM »
Mechanics-wise, I can already tell you what the big deal is going to be once people get their fill of i24 and i25 servers and want something more exotic: a server setup balanced completely around PvP.

PvP never worked out for CoH and the reason was simple: the game was designed around overpowered, superhero wish fulfillment -- and that worked out just fine for PvE, because mobs don't complain on game forums about overpowered heroes and villains kicking their butts.

And PvErs didn't have much of a problem with some power sets being more powerful than others for the same reason that comic book readers don't write angry letters complaining that Superman is more powerful than Green Arrow. City of Heroes -- and comic book inspired games in general -- exist in a special niche that gets away with imbalance in a way that no other game could, because that type of comic book universe directly translates into imbalance.

PvPers can't thrive in any of that, to be realistic. The needs of PvE in a super hero game pretty much mean that you'd have to overlay a completely alternate set of mechanics onto the PvP zones and enhancements, and when resources get tight, all of that is gonna start to break. Hats off to them for trying, but that plan was doomed from the start.

A server that's balanced around PvP from the ground up neatly solves those problems, with the one expense being that it breaks the super hero theme (any world with superpowers will be a noticeably imbalanced world, thus you have your Supermen and your Green Arrows). Which is not an expense I'd expect those PvPers to mourn over very much.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1344 on: April 24, 2019, 11:56:39 PM »
Mechanics-wise, I can already tell you what the big deal is going to be once people get their fill of i24 and i25 servers and want something more exotic: a server setup balanced completely around PvP.

PvP never worked out for CoH and the reason was simple: the game was designed around overpowered, superhero wish fulfillment -- and that worked out just fine for PvE, because mobs don't complain on game forums about overpowered heroes and villains kicking their butts.

And PvErs didn't have much of a problem with some power sets being more powerful than others for the same reason that comic book readers don't write angry letters complaining that Superman is more powerful than Green Arrow. City of Heroes -- and comic book inspired games in general -- exist in a special niche that gets away with imbalance in a way that no other game could, because that type of comic book universe directly translates into imbalance.

PvPers can't thrive in any of that, to be realistic. The needs of PvE in a super hero game pretty much mean that you'd have to overlay a completely alternate set of mechanics onto the PvP zones and enhancements, and when resources get tight, all of that is gonna start to break. Hats off to them for trying, but that plan was doomed from the start.

A server that's balanced around PvP from the ground up neatly solves those problems, with the one expense being that it breaks the super hero theme (any world with superpowers will be a noticeably imbalanced world, thus you have your Supermen and your Green Arrows). Which is not an expense I'd expect those PvPers to mourn over very much.

Hmm perhaps a redesigned arena system
In fearful COH-less days

Alteran

• Underling
« Reply #1345 on: April 25, 2019, 12:46:45 AM »
I may be the only person who wants this - A progression server.

If I went to the trouble to host a server, I'd reset the story (not the game mechanics) back to Issue 1, complete with the Calvin Scott Task Force. Then I'd operate it similarly to the way that Everquest runs its progression servers, where there's some milestone content that triggers the next phase of the progression.

The problem is that the devs deliberately chose to avoid creating any more "milestone" content like Calvin Scott after that because it was too much work, so it might involve creating a bunch of custom milestones to fill in the gaps. I should think on that a bit (because, hey, that sounds EASY, right? Right? LOL).

I would absolutely love this. My wife was not into PC gaming while the game was live and my daughter was too young.  It would be amazing to go through the history with them the same way I did.

Surelle

« Reply #1346 on: April 25, 2019, 01:17:28 AM »
Exactly.

I'm rooting for both as options.  If Titan hosted a community server, that fits the need for all the folks who like doing content like Hamidon Raids, unscheduled TFs, or even just random PUGs.  I'm sure there's a bunch of folks who work odd hours or have small kids that planning a group to hop on and doing something scheduled at 8 PM sharp on a Friday just doesn't work.

On the other hand, I'm sure there are a number of groups of players that have 25-50 players that are excited taking on all the content together in a private environment as well.  Or even small groups of 5-8 players who just like to play every day together.

Oh, and hi Codewalker!

I would trust the security of the server and website much more from CoH Titan (there wouldn't be malware and key loggers injected into the code, and there would be safe, secure payment methods for donations to keep the server running) than I would from outsiders.

Surelle

« Reply #1347 on: April 25, 2019, 01:28:25 AM »
Just to whet y'alls appetites - This screenie is from one of the coders who has been making the most progress, logged into her(?) own home server.

I wonder if it's Arcana?    ;)

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1348 on: April 25, 2019, 01:54:28 AM »
I may be the only person who wants this - A progression server.

If I went to the trouble to host a server, I'd reset the story (not the game mechanics) back to Issue 1, complete with the Calvin Scott Task Force. Then I'd operate it similarly to the way that Everquest runs its progression servers, where there's some milestone content that triggers the next phase of the progression.

The problem is that the devs deliberately chose to avoid creating any more "milestone" content like Calvin Scott after that because it was too much work, so it might involve creating a bunch of custom milestones to fill in the gaps. I should think on that a bit (because, hey, that sounds EASY, right? Right? LOL).

These days the EQ TLP's just unlock content every 12 weeks.  I think they found it was a better way to go about it then milestone releases.  That way everyone kind of knows how long they can enjoy the current expansion.  I think the voting and milestone ones ended up being rushed through so fast the more casual players couldn't enjoy it.  So you could always go the same route with X amount of weeks.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #1349 on: April 25, 2019, 01:58:06 AM »
Can some please tell what happened today? Because I am at a compete loss. I read Iron Wolf is/did leave/ going to leave. Then I read something about drama. Like I have wrote I am at a complete loss. sorry all :(
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1350 on: April 25, 2019, 02:18:36 AM »
Can some please tell what happened today? Because I am at a compete loss. I read Iron Wolf is/did leave/ going to leave. Then I read something about drama. Like I have wrote I am at a complete loss. sorry all :(

Oh, I am not sure about any of that.  I know there was a ton of Drama yesterday in the CoH Discord because people were upset they couldn't play and the day before that caused Reddit to split off and make their own discord.  But as for Iron Wolf leaving or such I am not sure about that, was that on this forum?

EDIT: Just read the post.  I am also sad to see Iron Wolf go - he did a lot for the community.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 02:33:44 AM by Taceus Jiwede »

wufenstein

• Underling
« Reply #1351 on: April 25, 2019, 02:22:09 AM »
We finally got the thing we've all been dreaming of for the last 6 years and it's tearing the community apart. :(

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1352 on: April 25, 2019, 03:28:50 AM »
Oh, I am not sure about any of that.  I know there was a ton of Drama yesterday in the CoH Discord because people were upset they couldn't play and the day before that caused Reddit to split off and make their own discord.  But as for Iron Wolf leaving or such I am not sure about that, was that on this forum?

EDIT: Just read the post.  I am also sad to see Iron Wolf go - he did a lot for the community.
What on earth happened? What post? Where?

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1353 on: April 25, 2019, 03:44:20 AM »
It will boil down eventually. I'm not worrying about all of this either. When stuff like this happens we do get very emotional because we're still passionate to the game that we all love. Do you guys remember when NCsoft used the City of Heroes IP on Master X Master and how emotional we got? That's why I said all of this will eventually boil down some day. It will take some time. To be honest, for the people who were/are threatning Leandro. I would like for them to come out and have a sincere apology, taking responsibility, and own up to their actions. If they do that I'm willing to forgive them believe it or not because life is too short. Like Tony V said: "you just can't kill this community." If they continue to be jerks so be it! Move on! That's my 2 cents. Thank you. 
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 03:55:34 AM by Dev7on »

bugzee

« Reply #1354 on: April 25, 2019, 04:15:15 AM »
It sure is lonely all by myself... I'm rooting for a Titan Network server so that we can get lots of players. But still, I'm happy  ;D

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1355 on: April 25, 2019, 04:32:25 AM »
What on earth happened? What post? Where?

He just left a post a few pages back saying he likely won't be returning here.  And aside from possibly donating to help a future legit server that he is more or less lost too much of his trust in the community.  He didn't elaborate beyond that.

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #1356 on: April 25, 2019, 05:00:22 AM »
It sounded to me like he was listening to too many conspiracy theories.

Auroxis

• Boss
« Reply #1357 on: April 25, 2019, 05:36:03 AM »
Can't blame Ironwolf for distrusting Leandro after the past few days. I too would prefer playing on a different server than Leandro's but time will tell if that's a viable option.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #1358 on: April 25, 2019, 06:27:27 AM »
How do progression servers work? It sounds to me like either way they're set up, people who come in late miss the start, is that right?
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

kiario

• Boss
  • CoH Fanboy
« Reply #1359 on: April 25, 2019, 06:50:29 AM »
Can't blame Ironwolf for distrusting Leandro after the past few days. I too would prefer playing on a different server than Leandro's but time will tell if that's a viable option.

I dont know the whole history, but Leandro must have been one of the people who got this ball rolling in the first place.
So whatever mistakes he has made or how genuine he has been to the public we should still be thankful because without him we would not have CoH as it stands today.
We all have a dog burried somwhere, no one is perfect :)