Author Topic: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release  (Read 270615 times)

Auroxis

• Boss
Re: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release
« Reply #1360 on: April 25, 2019, 08:33:59 AM »
I dont know the whole history, but Leandro must have been one of the people who got this ball rolling in the first place.
So whatever mistakes he has made or how genuine he has been to the public we should still be thankful because without him we would not have CoH as it stands today.
We all have a dog burried somwhere, no one is perfect :)

He is, he got the ball rolling 6 years ago. Problem is that he's been keeping tight control over it and has shown almost no willingness to back off and let other people take over (the first weekend he did let up a bit, we got a 2k people server). The main reason we'll have other servers in the near future is due to leaks getting out rather than just the work Leandro's done and released.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1361 on: April 25, 2019, 09:21:18 AM »
He is, he got the ball rolling 6 years ago. Problem is that he's been keeping tight control over it and has shown almost no willingness to back off and let other people take over (the first weekend he did let up a bit, we got a 2k people server). The main reason we'll have other servers in the near future is due to leaks getting out rather than just the work Leandro's done and released.

The server is up right now.  I am pretty sure Leo helped get this one up and running as well.

Auroxis

• Boss
« Reply #1362 on: April 25, 2019, 09:26:07 AM »
The server is up right now.  I am pretty sure Leo helped get this one up and running as well.

His server, yes. Once he got demoted for boosting people to 50 he went his own way instead of giving all the tools to the original group.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1363 on: April 25, 2019, 09:38:32 AM »
His server, yes. Once he got demoted for boosting people to 50 he went his own way instead of giving all the tools to the original group.

I am just happy to be playing with as many people as possible.  It doesn't really matter to me who runs the server.  I don't expect people to trust Leo, mostly because you shouldn't trust anyone you don't know.  I trust Leo exactly as much as I trusted the original group and the group to come.   Which is not at all, because I don't know any of them.  But the i25 codes are out there and according to the announcements in the Discord server, they will have their own server up soon.  On top of that, there is literally nothing else I can do to play the game.  I am not really in a position to ask anyone of anything when it comes to playing COH.

I don't expect Ironwolf or anyone here to trust Leo, and if you feel he has wronged you I don't expect anyone to forgive him.  All I know is I was able to play tonight and Leo helped make it happen.  None of the drama and the other stuff really matters to me.

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1364 on: April 25, 2019, 10:28:40 AM »
I may be the only person who wants this - A progression server.

If I went to the trouble to host a server, I'd reset the story (not the game mechanics) back to Issue 1, complete with the Calvin Scott Task Force. Then I'd operate it similarly to the way that Everquest runs its progression servers, where there's some milestone content that triggers the next phase of the progression.

The problem is that the devs deliberately chose to avoid creating any more "milestone" content like Calvin Scott after that because it was too much work, so it might involve creating a bunch of custom milestones to fill in the gaps. I should think on that a bit (because, hey, that sounds EASY, right? Right? LOL).

So, I proposed something akin to this in- game.... for your consideration: 

Timestreams.WHAT? 

Yes, timestreams. Every game eventually encounters a storyline evolution that affects the world (Matrix Online did it almost monthly, some games like Everquest released retro servers that started the world over) as did City of Heroes. 

Consider some major impacts to zones and storylines:
Timestream 1 - Launch day/Conclusion of First Rikti Invasion/Rebuilding (issue 0 - Issue 7)
Timestream 1.5 - Faultline Dam rupture (Faultline renovated) (Issue 8-9) [minor change, technically players below 14 couldn't get in]
Timestream 2 - Rikti Second Invasion (crashsite transformed into warzone) (Issue 10 - 17)
Timestream 3 - Praetorians fully introduced (players can start as praetorians with release of going rogue, praetorian players encounter primal npcs) (Issue 18 - Issue 20)
Timestream 4 - the coming storm (Galaxy city destroyed, can only visit as an Echo, major characters moved to other zones, e.g. BSB, knowledge of praetoria reflected in certain missions) (Issue 18-21.5)
Timestream 5 = The death of statesman (Statesman retconned out of most storylines, including his TF) (SSA #1.5 - SSA #2)
Timestream 5.5 - Dark Astoria revamp (Mot has been freed! Can visit an Echo of Dark Astoria) (Issue 22)

City of Heroes already incorporated time travel to visit different times (such as Cimerora) as well as Dimensional Travel to visit different places (such as the Shadow Shard), but if your character started after one of those really significant timestream events, then your character was never necessarily privy to those prior experiences.  With the implementation of phasing technologies in conjunction with the Ouroboros storyline, it would have been fantastic (imho) to be able to switch between major timestreams.

Implementation Concept Part 1:Consider this -- you roll a new toon and choose Hero, Villain or Praetorian, then a timestream.* You choose Praetorian and then have the option to begin in your earliest timestream (Timestream 3) or have the option to start in a later timestream (discretely covered with a spoiler warning or an ambiguous title so as not to possibly ruin the experience for a new player).* You choose Hero and have then have the option to start in any of the time streams.

Implementation Concept part 2:You officially transition through timestreams when you complete select mission storylines or reach certain levels.  E.g., you could enter old fautline up through level 14, but level 15 would trigger the transition to timestream 1.5.

Implementation Concept part 3:Just like with mission doors, party members synchronize to a timestream appropriate to the mission assigned by the team leader for the duration of the mission/involvement with team.  If a trigger mission occurs, player could be warned and prompted if they want to transition to new timestream.

Implementation Concept part 4:Although you could travel through time using the crystal of ice and flame, you could re-attune to an older timestream using it as well.

Edit to fix formatting
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1365 on: April 25, 2019, 10:55:13 AM »
I may be the only person who wants this - A progression server.

If I went to the trouble to host a server, I'd reset the story (not the game mechanics) back to Issue 1, complete with the Calvin Scott Task Force. Then I'd operate it similarly to the way that Everquest runs its progression servers, where there's some milestone content that triggers the next phase of the progression.

The problem is that the devs deliberately chose to avoid creating any more "milestone" content like Calvin Scott after that because it was too much work, so it might involve creating a bunch of custom milestones to fill in the gaps. I should think on that a bit (because, hey, that sounds EASY, right? Right? LOL).

You're not the only one that wants that.  I noted that happened with Everquest.

A 'progression' server.  I'd like to play the game at launch.  Then go through all the issues. 

Slickriptide has volunteered to do the 'milestone' AE arcs between server progressions. :D  Put me down for your server, Slick.

It would be cool to go from pre-i4 mechanics to E' Diversification.  To see the introduction of zones, mechanics, the market.  24 issues of 'story' in terms of narrative, zones, powersets and mechanics added over time.

Be nice to have it set up so you can 'progress' through the progressive issues just as it originally happened.  Especially for those that never got the chance.

I wasn't quite there at launch but I think I came in before issue 3 and the Kheldians.  I'd like to experience Pre-issue 4 again and issues 0,1, 2 and 3...

Good idea.  Somebody might make it happen, right Slickriptide? :D

Azrael.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1366 on: April 25, 2019, 10:59:18 AM »

So, I proposed something akin to this in- game.... for your consideration: 

Edit to fix formatting

Hmmm.  You've put a bit of thought into that.  *Provokes ideas.  No reason that somebody won't be able to to that someday.

AE missions arcs based upon your timestream transitions?  A 'TF' to go from one phase of issues to the next?

I'd certainly like a progression server so I could enjoy the game as it was released each issue and patched with new features.  It's just another way of enjoying the original game again.

Azrael.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1367 on: April 25, 2019, 11:00:15 AM »

Yes, he did.  :)

Azrael.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1368 on: April 25, 2019, 11:19:30 AM »
therain's idea sounds great to me, highly preferable to all the talk of issue locked servers and progression servers. Only problem would be balancing rewards but I'm sure a reasonable solution could be found. Well only problem apart from someone having to code all that.

slickriptide

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1369 on: April 25, 2019, 12:16:19 PM »
How do progression servers work? It sounds to me like either way they're set up, people who come in late miss the start, is that right?

Yes, pretty much. If you were willing to turn your world into a whole lot of spaghetti-content you could theoretically use the phasing technology to give every individual charactet its own progression but that approach would work poorly in a lightly populated server.

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
« Reply #1370 on: April 25, 2019, 01:34:26 PM »
Preface: I know this does not describe the majority of our community, but there sure are some dissenting elements that are so much louder than most to whom it very definitely applies.

It is nothing short of amazing how quickly we have gone from "I am so happy to be playing again, it brought a tear to my eye", to "you know, this is fine, but I want my CoH THIS way, and it would be better". 

Between that, and the continued recriminations of the past, it's truly a wonder things are still moving forward at all.  I have to give credit to the majority of the community that is doing all of this for pure love of the game, because all of this work sure as hell isn't putting dinner on the table for their families/loved ones.  They have regular jobs during the days to contend with as well.  This is a totally volunteer effort. 

So before we begin pontificating about how things could be SO much better, how about we enjoy what we have for a bit, and let the organization solidify to the point where we can relax about the present, before we insist on knowing what comes next, and how soon it will be?
What was no more, is now reborn!

bugzee

« Reply #1371 on: April 25, 2019, 01:48:59 PM »
All I know is, I am happy that the game is back and I can't wait to play with you all again. Just excited to look ahead and not be sad about the lost time.

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1372 on: April 25, 2019, 01:56:49 PM »

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1373 on: April 25, 2019, 02:28:35 PM »
I'm thrilled with what we have and will happily play i24 or 25 til the alts come home. But given that people seem to want all these options (I've marveled over the years at how many active people on these forums seem not to have played since ed), I'd rather them be centrally available rather than fragmenting what will likely be a small community too much.

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1374 on: April 25, 2019, 02:34:58 PM »
Gonna be honest, there were times on the weekend I wasn't sure things weren't going to implode.

People seem to be settling in.  Coders are sharing what they have and what they know.  I25 binaries have been released.  Moderation seems to have improved.  Communication has definitely  improved.  The SCORE server is back up and running.

I hope Ironwolf has a couple of days to mull it over and comes back.  He's going to need something to do in his retirement and by the time August comes around, there should be an improved server for him to run!

SilverAgeFan

• Underling
« Reply #1375 on: April 25, 2019, 03:00:19 PM »
Preface: I know this does not describe the majority of our community, but there sure are some dissenting elements that are so much louder than most to whom it very definitely applies.

It is nothing short of amazing how quickly we have gone from "I am so happy to be playing again, it brought a tear to my eye", to "you know, this is fine, but I want my CoH THIS way, and it would be better". 

Between that, and the continued recriminations of the past, it's truly a wonder things are still moving forward at all.  I have to give credit to the majority of the community that is doing all of this for pure love of the game, because all of this work sure as hell isn't putting dinner on the table for their families/loved ones.  They have regular jobs during the days to contend with as well.  This is a totally volunteer effort. 

So before we begin pontificating about how things could be SO much better, how about we enjoy what we have for a bit, and let the organization solidify to the point where we can relax about the present, before we insist on knowing what comes next, and how soon it will be?

I'm very happy to be playing again. I'm trying to keep reasonable with my expectations. Instead of insisting as to *exactly* what should be on my pizza, I'm being clear at least to myself, what my boundaries are.

I'll take i24, i25, progression, something with balanced post i25 development (I'd love to contribute model and animation content TBH--that's another conversation, though).

I'd LIKE to somehow have access to all the DLC powers and vet perks that I had, even if it means re-earning them via some mechanic similar to the P2W vendors.

I'd also like an environment that has more than enough players to run end game content, TFs, monster hunts, iTrials, etc. One that is supportive of casual to moderate RP. One where I can play with a few old friends hopefully and have the opportunity to meet more.

What I don't want though is a willy nilly server that throws balance and moderate paced play to the wind for insta-50 boosting, no agro cap, pre ED, or PvP prioritized balance. I don't begrudge anyone who wants that. I never quite fit in on Freedom. I understand that some of these things have significant appeal to portions of our community. They just don't appeal to me.

I also don't want a server that becomes a nonsensical playground, up to the dadaist whims of the administrators, where player models are swapped with GMs and cars and everything becomes a silly lulz-fest. It's just not what appeals to me. But again, to each their own.

I do want to give a moment to acknowledge the crazy, overwhelming enthusiasm we've seen with the test server. I have no idea how many people are trying to run or create multiple accounts. But anecdotally, in game, a large portion of the accounts logged in are one person to one account.

We had OVER 3100 people on last night at peak. SCORE logged over 10,000 accounts created in 2 hours when Torchbearer was announced. People want to play this game. Many of them will match with your play preferences. It's really cool that each of us have certainly never met a MAJORITY of the people logging in to play currently. Some are brand new to the game entirely.

So yeah, some people are being vocal about their specific desires and sounding a little bit exclusionary. And this can create an air of schism and exclusion. But the reality is there is a lot of excitement and participation happening right now within the game space of CoH. This is a good thing.

Surelle

« Reply #1376 on: April 25, 2019, 03:47:44 PM »
Silver, I agree with you.

I'm most interested in just playing CoX the way it was at the shutdown.  The current i25 test content doesn't seem *that* deviated from the former live game we know and loved, so that's fine, too.

However, the reason I never played emus before (besides the malware, security risks, poor server performance, drama and sudden shutdowns) was because they're hacked to heck and back, full of dumb changes like what you described.

There are plenty of other games with TL servers for people who want that experience, or someone can feel free to download what CoX code there now is in the wild and make their own server if they want to hack the game apart or change it.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1377 on: April 25, 2019, 04:25:19 PM »
Silver, I agree with you.

I'm most interested in just playing CoX the way it was at the shutdown.  The current i25 test content doesn't seem *that* deviated from the former live game we know and loved, so that's fine, too.

However, the reason I never played emus before (besides the malware, security risks, poor server performance, drama and sudden shutdowns) was because they're hacked to heck and back, full of dumb changes like what you described.

There are plenty of other games with TL servers for people who want that experience, or someone can feel free to download what CoX code there now is in the wild and make their own server if they want to hack the game apart or change it.

The current i25 version doesn't bother me as it appears to have everything at shut down and then some.

getting an i24 only version is fine to.

As to progression and being able to play past issues/events......perhaps there is a way.... perhaps a special portal somewhere that will take you to a special ECHO zone that time warps you back to the past to partake of said events.....

Also a question for those in the know: Super Speed.  i have yet to try it on the server but I am presuming that it is not upgraded to allow running up walls, correct?
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Auroxis

• Boss
« Reply #1378 on: April 25, 2019, 04:36:52 PM »
Apparently Leandro doesn't have an admin position in Torchbearer, he's there as a tech advisor.

This puts my mind at ease a bit.

Sources:

https://score.savecoh.com/index.php/topic,105.0.html

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1379 on: April 25, 2019, 04:44:46 PM »
Superspeed is the same. But as/cj/occasional raptor pack hit is always effective.