Author Topic: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release  (Read 262240 times)

Super Atom

• Lieutenant
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 04:15:18 PM by Super Atom »

SilverAgeFan

• Underling
Re: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 04:40:44 AM »
I feel so betrayed. I don't know which website or who on it can even be trusted anymore.

It's funny. Coming here after reading about the SCORE thing on Massively. I too feel sad and betrayed (in relative proportion considering that Notre Dame was almost/arguably fully lost today).

For years, CoH was my one game, my only game. I miss it dearly. It helped me survive a really nasty multiyear battle with illness. I've had friends I met in game pass away since the game was closed, all of us awaiting a dream of its return. I think about the game and miss it still, probably at least once a month. And man, that tease about original character and account data still existing...

I still miss my stable of several dozen, never-PL'd concept characters, dating back to the first month the game went live. I've been quietly watching the various spiritual successors and public retrofits for the game, and biting my tongue, as none of them seemed to be progressing at a rate that, in my estimation, would bring a playable game into my life prior to 2030.

So tonight, upon catching wind of this story, I'm just really sad. It's not about not being included. (I participated in a lot of end game content on Triumph back in the day, but just the same, I was never quite in the clique. Got a lot of "who dis" when joining incarnate raids, even though I actually lead them on many occasions.) It's a reopening of the sense of loss I felt over the game going away. Nothing has ever come close to what I enjoyed about CoH for the years it was up.

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 04:46:38 AM »
I feel so betrayed. I don't know which website or who on it can even be trusted anymore. To be honest, i now no longer trust anyone involved in anything. These people that never truly lost CoH could have been here lying to everyone the entire time while gleefully playing the game like nothing ever happen. Sickening.

Yeah well maybe access to this hidden server will appear soon. I always suspected something like this existed and that paragon chat was mostly to keep us busy until the real thing was available. That said I just wanna play again before I die so I really don't care as long as that happens...

You know I feel sorry for the mods here because I'm sure lots of angry posts and threads are going to be deleted/moderated over the coming days.

Surelle

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 04:52:21 AM »
For seven years this issue 24.5 CoX private server has been running now. No one is going to be inviting anyone else, or letting in anyone else, and any implications that the leakers (whom I do not know whatsoever-- I'm just reading about this on FB, Reddit and MassivelyOP like everybody else not involved is) somehow jeopardized our getting in is total bunk.

Seven years.

The dev or devs behind this didn't hand Leandro and SCORE all the code, a compiler and a distributor years after the shutdown; they all lost their jobs with the shuttering.  They handed this off before the game shut down.

Super Atom

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 04:53:56 AM »
I don't want to point fingers at anyone. At this point I'm just sad and anyone innocent doesn't deserve to be accused of anything like this.

MegaWatt

• Boss
  • No i didnt call security bots......uh oh!
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 05:23:44 AM »
its not that it was a secret that is a problem, if its nota hoax then keeping it under ground while NCSoft still has its greedy hands looking to slap down any of us having fun with somthing they killed because they couldnt make a profit or what ever is a -good- idea as it means it may still exist when Saurons eye in Pangyo turns to look at some other community they've shattered.

am i hurt that i dont get to paly it ? yep.....a lot but you know what ? i'd rather have the hope of playing it in the future then palying it for two weeks and then losing it to a Cease and Desist having fun because we want all your money and cant understand why you wont try one of our dozens of identical grind fests! orders.

but on the third hand i'm so conflicted - i dont know who to be mad at (other then NCSoft).......i want CoX back so much.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 05:29:20 AM by MegaWatt »
If we set it on fire it'll burn....but that'd leave evidence...I KNOW ! COMPLETE ATOMIZATION! WOOOO!

Super Atom

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 05:30:41 AM »
Got to be careful with what words are used, posts are being removed. What i will say is, I don't believe there is a future in what was shown. This was kept secret so there is no legal fallout and the chances of that ever changing would be NCsoft losing its copyright or selling its copyright. So basically, never.

MegaWatt

• Boss
  • No i didnt call security bots......uh oh!
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 05:36:35 AM »
A distant hope is better then no hope i guess......what a roller coaster i've been on in the last 20 minutes.....
If we set it on fire it'll burn....but that'd leave evidence...I KNOW ! COMPLETE ATOMIZATION! WOOOO!

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 05:40:11 AM »
Got to be careful with what words are used, posts are being removed. What i will say is, I don't believe there is a future in what was shown. This was kept secret so there is no legal fallout and the chances of that ever changing would be NCsoft losing its copyright or selling its copyright. So basically, never.

Relax Atom.  And yes, we do read the news.

Keep it civil like you all have so far, and everything should be fine.  But I will stand fast on anything concerning any private server talk specifically: invites, ultimatums for us or others, or links to private server content in any form will be deleted on sight.  Leandro said it straight, and none of it is here, period.  Our position has not changed.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Super Atom

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2019, 05:48:54 AM »
Would it be out of line to ask a question everyone really wants to know? I.E Have the Titan people had access to this? If not, why wouldn't you have been if Leo is directly friends with the people here.

(I mean, remove if its out of line, I'm not trying to defame or attack anyone, I just think everyone wants an answer)

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2019, 05:49:42 AM »
^^^^^ What Tahquitz said.

I get that people are probably reeling a bit, but I ask you to read what Leo said about why the server has been secret, and try to put yourself in his shoes. He's contributed a LOT to this community, from being an integral part of developing Paragon Chat, to providing various demorecord utilities and videos, to hosting the client files in a way that we just plain can't. This isn't someone who is out to screw over the community or keep to a small clique of friends something that he knows that thousands of people desperately want. I choose to believe that there was, and likely still is, a plan in the works to get this out there for the public. Too many people are instead dwelling in jealousy and misery, jumping to the worst possible conclusions about his motives.

We'll tolerate civil conversation about this issue, though to be honest, it's against my better judgment. But don't let it get out of hand, which includes posting any abusive posts or baseless accusations. Such will be met with expedient nukage with prejudice of the extreme variety.

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2019, 05:57:58 AM »
Would it be out of line to ask a question everyone really wants to know? I.E Have the Titan people had access to this? If not, why wouldn't you have been if Leo is directly friends with the people here.

(I mean, remove if its out of line, I'm not trying to defame or attack anyone, I just think everyone wants an answer)
It's a fair question, and one I've answered.

I can only speak for myself, and the answer is no, I'm not on the private server.

Having said that, I've repeatedly said that many times, and each time, there's a contingent of people who refuse to accept that answer, people who use my denial as "proof" that I must be "in on it," which is why honestly, I encourage others not to bother answering. People are going to think what they want to think regardless of the answer, so it's kinda useless to actually answer.

As for why, I dunno. It's not like Leo and I are best buds. We chat about once every month or two, and most of the time it's not even about City of Heroes-related stuff at all. In any event, I'm taking him at his word in his statement to Massively that he knows that I avoid conflicts of interests with Titan. It's one of the reason he hosts the Paragon Chat client files instead of us here, to avoid possible unwelcome legal entanglements, since the Titan Network is hosted in the United States where we're extremely vulnerable to takedowns if we step out of line. Given that, maybe he just assumed that I wouldn't want to be a part of it. He's not incorrect in that assessment, in that if I were directly involved in such a thing, I'd probably 1) be constantly bugging him to release the binaries and, if he possesses it, the source code to the server, and 2) it would post a pretty massive conflict of interest to me personally, weighing what's good for the community versus what's good for the existence and development of his private server.

So I dunno, all I can do is speculate. At any rate, it doesn't bother me. Yesterday I didn't have access to a private server, and it didn't bother me one bit. I'm not about to get mad and worked up about it now just because I know one exists. Just like I had to keep some secrets during the shutdown that could have literally jeopardized some people's livelihoods, I trust Leo to have good reasons for what he's doing. He has a proven track record of working in the community's interest, certainly more than enough credibility with me to give him the benefit of a doubt on this.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2019, 06:10:57 AM »
I understand my name and that of 435 who co-founded RPCongress with Red Djinni and Red Saviour has been linked to this "secret server."

Let me just say two things.

One, as anyone can see from my website I write between four and six books a year.  Spare time?  What's that?

Two, 435 has not been heard from by me (or AFAIK anyone else) for several years--we kept in touch for about a year after the shutdown and then nothing.  He let the RPCongress site lapse after about two years, which is why it's gone.  He was the one paying for the hosting and URL and I'm assuming he couldn't budget that anymore.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Twi

• Connoisseur of Fine Imports
  • Lieutenant
  • Defender
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2019, 06:51:03 AM »
It's pretty frustrating, given that historically, private servers are only not squashed out by popping up so much that the IP owner just throws up their hands. This isn't keeping all the eggs in one basket, it's keeping a single egg balanced on a pen.

Also, the "We were planning public events but you won't get them now" is just... so eye-roll inspiring.
I am a defender and so can you.

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2019, 06:52:03 AM »
It's a fair question, and one I've answered.

I can only speak for myself, and the answer is no, I'm not on the private server.

Having said that, I've repeatedly said that many times, and each time, there's a contingent of people who refuse to accept that answer, people who use my denial as "proof" that I must be "in on it," which is why honestly, I encourage others not to bother answering. People are going to think what they want to think regardless of the answer, so it's kinda useless to actually answer.

As for why, I dunno. It's not like Leo and I are best buds. We chat about once every month or two, and most of the time it's not even about City of Heroes-related stuff at all. In any event, I'm taking him at his word in his statement to Massively that he knows that I avoid conflicts of interests with Titan. It's one of the reason he hosts the Paragon Chat client files instead of us here, to avoid possible unwelcome legal entanglements, since the Titan Network is hosted in the United States where we're extremely vulnerable to takedowns if we step out of line. Given that, maybe he just assumed that I wouldn't want to be a part of it. He's not incorrect in that assessment, in that if I were directly involved in such a thing, I'd probably 1) be constantly bugging him to release the binaries and, if he possesses it, the source code to the server, and 2) it would post a pretty massive conflict of interest to me personally, weighing what's good for the community versus what's good for the existence and development of his private server.

So I dunno, all I can do is speculate. At any rate, it doesn't bother me. Yesterday I didn't have access to a private server, and it didn't bother me one bit. I'm not about to get mad and worked up about it now just because I know one exists. Just like I had to keep some secrets during the shutdown that could have literally jeopardized some people's livelihoods, I trust Leo to have good reasons for what he's doing. He has a proven track record of working in the community's interest, certainly more than enough credibility with me to give him the benefit of a doubt on this.

The thing that confuses me is why the server or source, whatever...  was given to anyone but the titan network. Especially after that grand speech you made before the game shutdown. During the announcement that it would sunset and how you were not going to just stand around and would fight etc to save the game. It seems to me if anyone would be given this it would be you. Or was it given to you and you gave it to them? You said you were not on it but if you wanted no part of it at all then it would make sense for you to give it to someone else. You don't really have to answer or respond; I'm annoyed by all this and the attitude that has been given to people here as far as private servers go. That and how people pretended all this time it didn't exist or talked to people like shit when they inquired about one in the works.

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2019, 07:06:25 AM »
The weird thing about hearing about an exclusive CoH private server is that it's CoH without the community.  Which makes it more of a weird video game graveyard to wander around.

I find it a bit baffling.

edit: To expand on this a bit: The City of Heroes I remember was an open and welcoming community.  Teaming with newer players and telling them about the game was part of that.  You don't get that with some weird exclusive private server club.  It's pretty much the opposite of what the community was.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 07:23:51 AM by P51mus »

spindisc

• Minion
    • Random Dice - CoH
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2019, 07:37:37 AM »
I just hope, now that SCORE is out in the public, they will heed to the open letter on reddit to actually make it spread.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Cityofheroes/comments/bdqf1w/open_letter_to_the_score_team_re_game_preservation/

jessejame

• Underling
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2019, 08:46:44 AM »
Honestly, the people in my circle have long since moved on and basically all contact with those I cared about were lost when the game shut down. Even when some day comes, the hard part won't be getting back the progress that was lost but rather the friends that were made. In light of all of this I buried the game when I lost all of my teammates that I had for years. I can understand where this bothers many of you, but I feel like it'd never be the same. i apologize to the moderators for posting the initial link I didn't realize that it was this big of an issue nor was it my intent to cause trouble. I sympathize with those who knew people who wanted to play again before they passed. My condolences to all of those.

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2019, 08:48:17 AM »
Honestly, the people in my circle have long since moved on and basically all contact with those I cared about were lost when the game shut down. Even when some day comes, the hard part won't be getting back the progress that was lost but rather the friends that were made. In light of all of this I buried the game when I lost all of my teammates that I had for years. I can understand where this bothers many of you, but I feel like it'd never be the same. i apologize to the moderators for posting the initial link I didn't realize that it was this big of an issue nor was it my intent to cause trouble. I sympathize with those who knew people who wanted to play again before they passed. My condolences to all of those.
If you didn't somebody was going to. You definitely shouldn't be sorry for that.

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2019, 08:51:47 AM »
I just hope, now that SCORE is out in the public, they will heed to the open letter on reddit to actually make it spread.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Cityofheroes/comments/bdqf1w/open_letter_to_the_score_team_re_game_preservation/
That open letter is awesome and true. What better example than Notre Dame burning down today. This game is an artifact just like that structure and the things in it. Once it is lost it is gone.