Author Topic: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release  (Read 270038 times)

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
Re: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release
« Reply #880 on: April 20, 2019, 01:53:29 AM »
Doubtful.  I think Sentinel is keyed in to NCSoft's former servers.  It would need to be revised.
Sentinel had to be recompiled with each live release.  It was designed to sniff for data in specific memory addresses in the client while it was running.  Those addresses changed every time the client was recompiled, so Sentinel had to be updated each time.

For Sentinel to work on a private server, it would have to be compiled to work specifically with the current client files compatible with that server.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #881 on: April 20, 2019, 01:58:28 AM »
I'm still three pages behind, so this may have already been mentioned (and I'll come back to this and edit it when I get caught up).

Sentinel had to be recompiled with each live release.  It was designed to sniff for data in specific memory addresses in the client while it was running.  Those addresses changed every time the client was recompiled, so Sentinel had to be updated each time.

For Sentinel to work on a private server, it would have to be compiled to work specifically with the current client files compatible with that server.

I was about to wince and ask how tough that would be.

Then I remembered that we essentially have a 24-7 Coding Party fueled by incredible amounts of enthusiasm and Mountain Dew. Practically a "Million Monkeys on a Million Typewriters producing Shakespeare." :D

Toss it into the screaming furball and less than 24 hours later the finished product will come sailing out ready to go I bet. :D

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #882 on: April 20, 2019, 01:59:45 AM »
I was about to wince and ask how tough that would be.

Then I remembered that we essentially have a 24-7 Coding Party fueled by incredible amounts of enthusiasm and Mountain Dew. Practically a "Million Monkeys on a Million Typewriters producing Shakespeare." :D

Toss it into the screaming furball and less than 24 hours later the finished product will come sailing out ready to go I bet. :D
You're going to have to arm wrestle GuyPerfect for that one.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #883 on: April 20, 2019, 02:06:27 AM »
ok wow. I wasn't expecting insane power proliferation (spine broots! fire stalker!) or the post i24 power sets. but the one that really got me was the no redraw option on weapons.

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #885 on: April 20, 2019, 03:30:46 AM »
I want to read that.

I might need to think on the next Waddle adventure, then.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #886 on: April 20, 2019, 09:06:01 AM »
I did read and greatly enjoy your book series that was based (loosely) on the City of Heroes group of characters. But I for one don't intend to use any of them. Nevertheless, just for clarity, since you mentioned it, could you give a quick list of the ones that you don't mind people using versus the ones the that are NOT yours that you can't speak for? Or is that already outlined in the books or online somewhere?

This is major characters off the top of my head that are NOT mine
Red Saviour, Untermensch, Chug, Soviet Bear, Mojiotok, Ramona Ferrarri (aka Steel Maiden), Jack, Spin Doctor, People's Blade, Handsome Devil, The Mountain, Bulwark, Red Djinni, John Murdock, Penny, Harmony, Dominic Verdigris III, Dixie Belle, Yankee Doodle, Yankee Pride, Eisenfaust, Barron, Scope, Acrobat, Panacea, Gilead, Mel, Valkyria, Mercurye, Kid Zero, Kid One, Leader of the Pack, Paperback Rider, the-other-guy-that-died-heroically-blowing-up-the-train, Alex Tesla, Marconi and Tesla the ghosts-in-the-machine, Arthur Chang, Khanjar, Soviette, Speed Freak, Rebel Yell, Bad Bowie, Ubermensch, The Black Baron, Worker's Champion, and of course, Doppelgaenger.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 11:05:34 AM by Victoria Victrix »
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #887 on: April 20, 2019, 11:22:45 AM »
Yes, people are entering the server - but it is not stable yet.

The download is slow as well. I am waiting for a while until things get smoothed out.
You can use your existing copy of i24 files / Icon / Paragon Chat. That accounts for bulk of what has to be downloaded.

However, they have to prove loss related to a FREE TO PLAY closed game that isn't being monetized and is running at zero cost to them.
They have to prove it in the USA.
NCSoft still holds one City Of Heroes trademark that hasn't lapsed, valid apparently until 2023.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #888 on: April 20, 2019, 12:44:22 PM »
Wow!  Just Wow is all I have to say.  It has been an amazing and exciting 24 hours.  I am not sure how much we are supposed to talk about here but I suggest everyone join the Discord and see that amazing work going on!  If someone 2 weeks ago told me I would have experienced what I did tonight I would have called them a liar with extreme prejudice.

Ultimate15

• Boss
« Reply #889 on: April 20, 2019, 12:51:49 PM »
Wow!  Just Wow is all I have to say.  It has been an amazing and exciting 24 hours.  I am not sure how much we are supposed to talk about here but I suggest everyone join the Discord and see that amazing work going on!  If someone 2 weeks ago told me I would have experienced what I did tonight I would have called them a liar with extreme prejudice.

How do we join the Discord?
Viva la Virtue!

Artillerie

• Lieutenant
« Reply #890 on: April 20, 2019, 01:06:30 PM »
And then it all went quiet again. I wonder why that could be :P

therain93

• Elite Boss
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

kiario

• Boss
  • CoH Fanboy
« Reply #892 on: April 20, 2019, 02:49:51 PM »
Just had a 2 hour flawless gameplay in Atlas city. Listening to the zones Music. Street sweeping.

Please dont Wake me up from this Dream :)

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #893 on: April 20, 2019, 02:55:14 PM »
I got my Sonic/Ice blaster Ironwolf up to 5 and then logged to cut some brush up - living on a farm it doesn't stop until dark.

Adam Infinity

• Underling
« Reply #894 on: April 20, 2019, 03:14:10 PM »
I'm playing as Adam Atomic if you guys see me in game (between servers restarting). Thank you to everyone making this happen and being a part of this.

kiario

• Boss
  • CoH Fanboy
« Reply #895 on: April 20, 2019, 03:35:41 PM »
I got my Sonic/Ice blaster Ironwolf up to 5 and then logged to cut some brush up - living on a farm it doesn't stop until dark.

Did all this happen quicker than you could have imagined IW?

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #896 on: April 20, 2019, 04:19:29 PM »
Well yes and no - this is only test code.

A lot of work needs to be done for the future - I am getting a web host for a site and will start building a server site. Once the code is fixed and tweaked - I will rent a server according to specs and off we go.

I think right about when I retire is how long it will take, so end of August. I don't want the earliest server just the most stable one. Once that happens another server will open!

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #897 on: April 20, 2019, 04:28:40 PM »
Well yes and no - this is only test code.

A lot of work needs to be done for the future - I am getting a web host for a site and will start building a server site. Once the code is fixed and tweaked - I will rent a server according to specs and off we go.

I think right about when I retire is how long it will take, so end of August. I don't want the earliest server just the most stable one. Once that happens another server will open!

End of August.  That sounds good to me. 

Hard to believe you were leading the efforts to get the talks going all those years ago.

And now?  Mere months away from setting up an 'Ironwolf Server.'

For the cause.

The stuff of dreams.

Azrael.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #898 on: April 20, 2019, 04:32:31 PM »

Sound!  :)

Azrael.

Harq76

• Underling
« Reply #899 on: April 20, 2019, 05:35:29 PM »
I am totally fine with getting my bearings until august for the most stable one.

Until then, I'm gonna have fun and test out alts so I can hit the ground running then.

An alting I will go,,,,