Author Topic: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release  (Read 262157 times)

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
Re: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release
« Reply #1300 on: April 24, 2019, 06:19:16 PM »
Just seems a little silly to me that this is after he gave them the I24 source they asked for, and gave them the I25 server setup they asked for, with the explicit purpose of somebody (anybody) running a server or two while the coders worked on the source. He was advertising on Twitter for somebody to run it, I don't think he was worried about it 'leaking'. And now they think they're sticking it to him by... doing what he wanted and firing up servers.

Eh, whatever. Reason seems to have gone out the window lately anyway so I'm not gonna worry about it.

Vella

• Minion
« Reply #1301 on: April 24, 2019, 06:22:16 PM »
Do I have to download the files again if I already have them from the first test server?

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1302 on: April 24, 2019, 06:34:00 PM »
Just seems a little silly to me that this is after he gave them the I24 source they asked for, and gave them the I25 server setup they asked for, with the explicit purpose of somebody (anybody) running a server or two while the coders worked on the source. He was advertising on Twitter for somebody to run it, I don't think he was worried about it 'leaking'. And now they think they're sticking it to him by... doing what he wanted and firing up servers.

Eh, whatever. Reason seems to have gone out the window lately anyway so I'm not gonna worry about it.

Let anyone believe whatever they want to as long as it drains the drama swamp.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1303 on: April 24, 2019, 06:37:26 PM »
Do I have to download the files again if I already have them from the first test server?

You may need to register your game account again at that site after that tequila should be ready and just revalidate the files
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #1304 on: April 24, 2019, 06:40:21 PM »
Let anyone believe whatever they want to as long as it drains the drama swamp.

I'm all for that. If they're busy leveling alts maybe they'll chill out for a while lol.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1305 on: April 24, 2019, 06:51:51 PM »
I'm not sure his expectations matter at this point.

"There will soon be a restructure of administration and moderation to align with current interests - that being getting this code open sourced and out for production. Our goal is to eventually end up with a server-in-a-box solution for you all, and we are dedicated to that goal."

From Discord/CoH.

I agree with those sentiments.  Getting it open sourced and ending up with a 'server-in-a-box' solution for all allows us all to run it discreetly.

I'm pleased to hear they are dedicated to that goal.

If Tony V and NC come to an agreement that allows Titan Network to be the community home for CoH?  All well and good.

However, I'm more reassured by the Discord/CoH statement that work towards democratizing CoH continues regardless.

How long that takes is another thing.  But the 'truth' is now out there.

It's frustrating being a non-coder.  We can't do much more than play test or 'cheerlead' from the sidelines.

Personally, I just like to understand what is going on aside from my wishes for a 'home brew' distro that is Homer proof.

It's a good game.  I just want it's legacy preserved for the community who loved the game so much.

Azrael.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1306 on: April 24, 2019, 06:54:03 PM »

Meh.  Human nature.  You can drive 10,000 miles to see a woman and she'll still walk out on you saying HER sanity was compromised...

(Azrael, what are you going on about...)

*Don't ask.

Azrael.

PS.  Back on topic?

1.  Dev' leaking CoH for perservation.  Hero status.
2.  SCORE guarding that legacy took guts, courage and hardwork.  Whilst presumbly holding down day jobs.
3.  Test server up and running, twice?  Well done to the CoH community for piling on and stepping up.

...and....

"There will soon be a restructure of administration and moderation to align with current interests - that being getting this code open sourced and out for production. Our goal is to eventually end up with a server-in-a-box solution for you all, and we are dedicated to that goal."

Break the ring and sent the shattered shards to the four corners so the CoH community can bear the burden.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #1307 on: April 24, 2019, 06:57:41 PM »
If Tony V and NC come to an agreement that allows Titan Network to be the community home for CoH?  All well and good.

As I've seen memed a few times lately, "Why not both?"

The genie is out of the bottle as far as third party servers, and it's not going back. That was a given the second the source code was published -- only a matter of time.

If Tony can work out a deal to get an officially blessed community server, especially if it comes with a wink-and-a-nod agreement to leave third party servers alone and free from C&D threat, that's pretty much the ideal world right there.

If the deal doesn't work out, it's a bit of a loss for having a cohesive community, but the servers will still be out there.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1308 on: April 24, 2019, 07:10:02 PM »

The genie is out of the bottle as far as third party servers, and it's not going back. That was a given the second the source code was published -- only a matter of time.

If Tony can work out a deal to get an officially blessed community server, especially if it comes with a wink-and-a-nod agreement to leave third party servers alone and free from C&D threat, that's pretty much the ideal world right there.

If the deal doesn't work out, it's a bit of a loss for having a cohesive community, but the servers will still be out there.

You know, Codewalker...when my Mum (god bless her...) offers me desert and offers me a choice?  My answer is...?

'Yes please."  :D

So yeah, why not both? :)

Totally.  Cake and eat it?  Nom, nom, nom.  *Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.  Say no more, squire! I'd be delighted if Tony can pull what you say off.  It's a win/win.  This is a chance for NC (and their new management?) to think about community relations and what they mean.  We can have an official and substantial community here at Titan and you'll have those 'unbroken' shards with 200 players clustered about here and there.

Regardless of if the talks work out or not.  The genie is out the bottle as you say.  Again, thanks to Leandro for putting the files out there for the test server and for the i24 to be worked on. 

I think you'll have clusters of communities.  It's already started.  SCORE presumably still have their own plans.  Tony is in talks to get us a home here.  And Discord/CoH are doing a fine job booting up not 1 but the 2nd 'test' server.  (Again, THANKS to Leandro's help.) 

Meanwhile, coders are racing against time to get i24 into something that we can 'all have' regardless of what NC decided to do.  The power is no longer in their hands.  They don't have the ring.  And to be honest with you?  I don't think that is such a bad thing.  Rather than 'just' one community that can be hit by a bus (see NC's shutdown of 80-100 thousand players...) we will have substantial servers and some less so.  The community can all, eventually, run servers and preserve the game against bus attacks.

Unbroken Shard i25 becomes the communities story.  They can tell it how they might.  There's the AE to create content.  Look at Matt Miller's final interview and piece together some Battallion content.  Create a zone with a Moonbase.  SCORE (I'm sure they hold their own counsel) could recruit Demonhunter to create new maps for i25 unbroken.  And use AE ot create missions for it.  Look at the Wharf that Leandro and others finished.  Beautiful...just needs a story and some mobs.

We're at the nexus.  I always believed in Tony here at Titan when there was no where else to go.  And I always believed, as night follows day, that SCORE would deliver.

We owe Tony, the dev' leak and SCORE a debt.

Azrael.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 07:17:34 PM by Azrael »

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1309 on: April 24, 2019, 07:10:15 PM »

Out the window, all over the sidewalk and into the sewer system. The conduct of much of the community is disheartening and undeserved.   And people talk about how the community healed itself miraculously over the last few days,  but I just see savagery and unquenched entitlement with an irrational dose of trollish bloodlust for Leandro and SCoRE.

"We're all heroes."  I think the SCoRE server revealed something about the community. There's no caste system in game,  but there do exist more recognizable super groups, like the Freedom Phalanx.  No one could join Statesman on the Freedom Phalanx, but I think the players saw themselves an equal.   Likewise,  the SCoRE server managed to emerge due to recognition,  but many players couldn't join it, they were excluded.  And that shattered this illusion of community and enraged many,  which maybe isn't so surprising given the genre's foundation and appeal is primarily wish fulfillment. The venom as well as the entitlement may be unfounded and irrational,  but it is there. 

Some loudly raged,  many just watched and only few condemned.  "We're all heroes".  I don't think the community gets to say that any more. That's the genie that doesn't get to be put back into the bottle.  [size=78%][/size]Maybe (hopefully) Tony  is successful, but things will never be as good as they were.
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1310 on: April 24, 2019, 07:11:27 PM »
Meh.  Human nature.  You can drive 10,000 miles to see a woman and she'll still walk out on you saying HER sanity was compromised...

(Azrael, what are you going on about...)

*Don't ask.

Azrael.

PS.  Back on topic?

1.  Dev' leaking CoH for perservation.  Hero status.
2.  SCORE guarding that legacy took guts, courage and hardwork.  Whilst presumbly holding down day jobs.
3.  Test server up and running, twice?  Well done to the CoH community for piling on and stepping up.

...and....

Break the ring and sent the shattered shards to the four corners so the CoH community can bear the burden.

How about a new badge: Anonymous Unsung Hero  badge text: Dedicated to the preserver of the Source

But as has been stated the ideal is Ncsoft to "bless us" with their consent for a community server, which they may give to save face in light of the fact that private servers shall be seeded across the internet ala sword art online
In fearful COH-less days

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1311 on: April 24, 2019, 07:22:13 PM »
How about a new badge: Anonymous Unsung Hero  badge text: Dedicated to the preserver of the Source

But as has been stated the ideal is Ncsoft to "bless us" with their consent for a community server, which they may give to save face in light of the fact that private servers shall be seeded across the internet ala sword art online

Amen to Two badges.  One for the Dev' leak.  One for Score.  Well said, Sin'.  And that's the thing.  Without both of those?  We have NOTHING.  Those raging they didn't get their entitlement can scream from the sidelines.  It's not easy to get on the cross.  As the truck driver (who did) but got spooked proved.  If I get badge creating tools in the home brew (hopefully....) then I'll create those two badges.

But the community is now with leverage.

Perhaps NC can do some face saving.  But, it's up to them.  We can do it the easy way...or the hard way.  Says the Genie.

Azrael.

AmberOfDzu

• Boss
« Reply #1312 on: April 24, 2019, 07:25:49 PM »
Amen to Two badges.  One for the Dev' leak.  One for Score.  Well said, Sin'.  And that's the thing.  Without both of those?  We have NOTHING.  Those raging they didn't get their entitlement can scream from the sidelines.  It's not easy to get on the cross.  As the truck driver (who did) but got spooked proved.  If I get badge creating tools in the home brew (hopefully....) then I'll create those two badges.

Perhaps NC can do some face saving.  But, it's up to them.  We can do it the easy way...or the hard way.  Says the Genie.

Azrael.

^ Agreed. We have some heroes. They may be imperfect in some ways, but are well worthy of our recognition and deserved of honors.

Surelle

« Reply #1313 on: April 24, 2019, 07:27:18 PM »

Agreed.

And if things fall through with NCsoft, then everybody else can feel a little less bad about running a private server or playing on one.  At that point:  Hey....we tried.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 07:34:17 PM by Surelle »

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1314 on: April 24, 2019, 07:27:49 PM »

Out the window, all over the sidewalk and into the sewer system. The conduct of much of the community is disheartening and undeserved.   And people talk about how the community healed itself miraculously over the last few days,  but I just see savagery and unquenched entitlement with an irrational dose of trollish bloodlust for Leandro and SCoRE.

Er.  Well.  What can you say?  'Savagery and unquenched entitlement' indeed.  Not pretty.  Human nature at its most ugly.

They weren't taking the risks.  They didn't do the work to preserve it.

They're lucky.  We're all lucky.

We thought game dead.  It's a beautiful thing that it isn't...dead.  It's a-live.

Worth stepping back and thinking about that.

Again, CoH is in safe hands.  Even better?  It's now in more hands.

We get to be passionate about it.  We get to believe. 

Azrael.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1315 on: April 24, 2019, 07:32:04 PM »

Azrael.

To be honest wh n word of the super secret server was confirmed last week I was angry for about five minutes as I wanted to play for years.

Then rational thought returned and I was glad word leaked as it may lead to a more or less public return of our city.

So all the whiners on the internet really need to sit back and realize that if this leaked soon after shutdo n Ncsoft would have likely crushed it

Back then wasn't the time, now it is time
In fearful COH-less days

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1316 on: April 24, 2019, 07:34:19 PM »

Azrael.

If the home brew doesn't have admin tools for those that want to tweak things and experiment, that would be disappointing. But then again if tools can be obtained later or from a polite request to leandro that is fine too
In fearful COH-less days

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1317 on: April 24, 2019, 07:35:03 PM »
^ Agreed. We have some heroes. They may be imperfect in some ways, but are well worthy of our recognition and deserved of honors.

I think so.  I know it to be true.  They're certainly my heroes.  I've been 'rooting' for them for the last 6 years.

Amber, it's hard for me, as a guy, to admit that I'm 'imperfect' (it's true folks...sorry to disappoint you all.)  All our heroes are flawed.  We have to take the 'tree' out of our own eyes.  Not issue death threats to the guy that gave us the code we never dared dream of.

That's what makes them interesting.  That makes this last week interesting.  This is the story of the CoH community.  Issue 25 will be ours to write.

But I wouldn't trade Tony, Leandro, Codewalker and SCORE for anything.  They did what they had to do, 'Is our action not just?'  You'd have to be hard faced to grudge dying people a chance to play on CoH...the testing and time it took to get things going again.

We got Icon, Paragon Chat and a safe guarded legacy (and who knows what else SCORE have planned...)

What more do we want?  (Well, apart from that 'homer home brew CoH solo/Lan/server....)

Azrael.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1318 on: April 24, 2019, 07:42:44 PM »
If the home brew doesn't have admin tools for those that want to tweak things and experiment, that would be disappointing. But then again if tools can be obtained later or from a polite request to leandro that is fine too

Yeah.  I think we'll get a stable i24 first.

Zone, map and mission creators beyond the bounds of AE?  Who knows.  Those will come in time.  We've already seen the excellent work of Leandro (and others) to finish the Wharf map.  Truly excellent.  And a Statesman statue no less.  The re-modelled Warzone?

Who knows what SCORE have planned.  And that's part of the fun.  Secrets can be fun.  They're called surprised.  But I'm not going to death threat Santa for keeping my presents secret...yeesh...

Demonhunter probably has loads of other maps on the go.  Any reason why SCORE can't issue an 'alt-world' issue 25 release?  I remember Leandro doing an excellent post on how he'd yank the incarnate stuff and raise the level cap and make the progression via Brickstown etc more in line with the original game.  Why not?  That's the thing.  i24 'stable' is just going to be a starting point.

When(?) the mod tools come for the zones, missions, maps, mobs etc...each community will compete to create their own issue 25.

As somebody once said, 'It's only code.'

Azrael.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1319 on: April 24, 2019, 07:58:11 PM »
Yeah.  I think we'll get a stable i24 first.

Zone, map and mission creators beyond the bounds of AE?  Who knows.  Those will come in time.  We've already seen the excellent work of Leandro (and others) to finish the Wharf map.  Truly excellent.  And a Statesman statue no less.  The re-modelled Warzone?

Who knows what SCORE have planned.  And that's part of the fun.  Secrets can be fun.  They're called surprised.  But I'm not going to death threat Santa for keeping my presents secret...yeesh...

Demonhunter probably has loads of other maps on the go.  Any reason why SCORE can't issue an 'alt-world' issue 25 release?  I remember Leandro doing an excellent post on how he'd yank the incarnate stuff and raise the level cap and make the progression via Brickstown etc more in line with the original game.  Why not?  That's the thing.  i24 'stable' is just going to be a starting point.

When(?) the mod tools come for the zones, missions, maps, mobs etc...each community will compete to create their own issue 25.

As somebody once said, 'It's only code.'

Azrael.

Well for new content we have the AE for people to get creative with

Remove the incarnate powers? I kinda liked them but perhaps instead, at least on the server that i envision running, activate the 4 incarnate powers we didn't get. We have their names and while to my knowledge there is no lore data for them, there names are kind of easy to guess at what they could be.

After that...perhaps have the level cap move up and make stronger trials and missions?

The beautiful thing of multiple private servers could be the variety that springs up
In fearful COH-less days