Author Topic: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release  (Read 262201 times)

battlebooze

• Underling
  • Played COH on Freedom and Champions servers
Re: The Shot Heard Around Paragon City - SCORE Public Release
« Reply #1320 on: April 24, 2019, 08:30:14 PM »
It's been six years since I've posted.  :gonk: I can't believe the news that I  just read.  I don't even know what to say, I had given up totally, as I'm sure many had.

I still have episode 24 installed on my PC. I just didn't have the heart to remove it.

I'm just posting because I'm in shock.

Personally I'd be happy with a ep 24 re-release or a 25 upgrade, I don't really care either way. The idea of anything is a miracle in my eyes. I'm not even mad that a server has been up for so long in secret.

Seethe

• Underling
« Reply #1321 on: April 24, 2019, 08:38:20 PM »
As I've seen memed a few times lately, "Why not both?"

Exactly.

I'm rooting for both as options.  If Titan hosted a community server, that fits the need for all the folks who like doing content like Hamidon Raids, unscheduled TFs, or even just random PUGs.  I'm sure there's a bunch of folks who work odd hours or have small kids that planning a group to hop on and doing something scheduled at 8 PM sharp on a Friday just doesn't work.

On the other hand, I'm sure there are a number of groups of players that have 25-50 players that are excited taking on all the content together in a private environment as well.  Or even small groups of 5-8 players who just like to play every day together.

Oh, and hi Codewalker! 

MegaWatt

• Boss
  • No i didnt call security bots......uh oh!
« Reply #1322 on: April 24, 2019, 08:45:32 PM »
i desperately want to keepi25....the base editor is amazeing - i have CARS in a base garage and before i managed to break my base i was working on a hanger for aPraetorian fighter jet
If we set it on fire it'll burn....but that'd leave evidence...I KNOW ! COMPLETE ATOMIZATION! WOOOO!

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1323 on: April 24, 2019, 09:01:50 PM »
i desperately want to keepi25....the base editor is amazeing - i have CARS in a base garage and before i managed to break my base i was working on a hanger for aPraetorian fighter jet

I have yet to test that base editor but judging by your post, no prestige needed to build a base?

But you still need to unlock base badges?
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

AlphaFerret

• Boss
« Reply #1324 on: April 24, 2019, 09:20:32 PM »
I was out of town over the weekend, so i was unable to participate in the test server mayhem.  This is the most exciting news in years.  Even better if NCsoft isn't lurking around every corner to shut down efforts.  It took a while, but it looks live Paragon lives!

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1325 on: April 24, 2019, 09:28:50 PM »
I'm starting to see some character and SG names that appear to be for the purpose of.... colorfully expressing player feelings about Ncsoft.....

It may be wise to not poke that hornet's nest.   Just play the game everyone, that is the best way to thumb our noses at ncsoft

Note that to self for future private server...adjust name block list to include Ncsoft fo character and groups
In fearful COH-less days

slickriptide

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1326 on: April 24, 2019, 09:33:42 PM »
Just to whet y'alls appetites - This screenie is from one of the coders who has been making the most progress, logged into her(?) own home server.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1327 on: April 24, 2019, 09:41:16 PM »
Delightful
In fearful COH-less days

Zombie Man

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1328 on: April 24, 2019, 09:53:32 PM »

You had one day to play CoH, and you spent it base building?

I'm not being judgmental. I'm sure if it wasn't for the offline character builder, there would have been people spending all day making character costumes.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1329 on: April 24, 2019, 10:22:46 PM »
Just to whet y'alls appetites - This screenie is from one of the coders who has been making the most progress, logged into her(?) own home server.

Ty, Slickriptide!

WHOOO-HOOOOOOO!  Sound!

Here we go...?????  Home brew....?

Home server coming up.......????!?!??!

*slightly excited.  *Teased am I.

Azrael.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1330 on: April 24, 2019, 10:27:55 PM »
Exactly.

I'm rooting for both as options.  If Titan hosted a community server, that fits the need for all the folks who like doing content like Hamidon Raids, unscheduled TFs, or even just random PUGs.  I'm sure there's a bunch of folks who work odd hours or have small kids that planning a group to hop on and doing something scheduled at 8 PM sharp on a Friday just doesn't work.

On the other hand, I'm sure there are a number of groups of players that have 25-50 players that are excited taking on all the content together in a private environment as well.  Or even small groups of 5-8 players who just like to play every day together.

Oh, and hi Codewalker!

Aye.  We can have teh cake and eat it?  Small, medium and large slices of cake.

Alt-Worlds, alt-universes.  Shards.  Clusters.  Parallel CoH universes.

Teams of 8.  25-50 on a server.  3000+.

'Both.'

Azrael.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1331 on: April 24, 2019, 10:33:14 PM »
Well for new content we have the AE for people to get creative with

Remove the incarnate powers? I kinda liked them but perhaps instead, at least on the server that i envision running, activate the 4 incarnate powers we didn't get. We have their names and while to my knowledge there is no lore data for them, there names are kind of easy to guess at what they could be.

After that...perhaps have the level cap move up and make stronger trials and missions?

The beautiful thing of multiple private servers could be the variety that springs up

Can the four inc' powers be activated.  Intriguing.

Level cap.  The reason I wanted to it to go to L60 (But no higher....) was that I felt we never had the chance to play our epics enough before bumping into L50.

If the Incarnate stuff came at L60 fair enough.  But I'd have still rather it have come using the standard interface.  Not so much that it's incarnate powers and all....but I just didn't get the 'grind interface' micro management windows.  They could have just had a standard interface with the powers having slots....

Ie.  Above Epics.  With the option of 6 slotting.  It was the interface more than anything else.  The concpet of being uber was fine.  And the content seemed good.

Yeah.  I guess my gripe was the interface.  I'd have just liked Incarnate to be like Super-Epic with a ten level cap raising of missions to take you to L60.

Azrael.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1332 on: April 24, 2019, 10:40:08 PM »
Can the four inc' powers be activated.  Intriguing.

Level cap.  The reason I wanted to it to go to L60 (But no higher....) was that I felt we never had the chance to play our epics enough before bumping into L50.

If the Incarnate stuff came at L60 fair enough.  But I'd have still rather it have come using the standard interface.  Not so much that it's incarnate powers and all....but I just didn't get the 'grind interface' micro management windows.  They could have just had a standard interface with the powers having slots....

Ie.  Above Epics.  With the option of 6 slotting.  It was the interface more than anything else.  The concpet of being uber was fine.  And the content seemed good.

Yeah.  I guess my gripe was the interface.  I'd have just liked Incarnate to be like Super-Epic with a ten level cap raising of missions to take you to L60.

Azrael.

Hmm activate the 4 lost incarnate powers, obtain them, slot all incarnate powers with tier 3 or 4.....eight level power shift.....hmmmmm
In fearful COH-less days

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1333 on: April 24, 2019, 10:46:31 PM »
Hmm activate the 4 lost incarnate powers, obtain them, slot all incarnate powers with tier 3 or 4.....eight level power shift.....hmmmmm

Well, it's all up for grabs now.

It will be interesting to see how different parts of the CoH universe(S) develop the game.

Some may want vanilla.  Some might want an i25 written by the community elders according to cannon lore.  Some people will create their alt-world content.

The Holy Grail is the democratisation to have the tools to do so in all our hands. 

Some people might want to kick back and just enjoy a large community here at titan.  Some may want a more 'stealthy' under the radar approach with a few mates on 8 man teams on some private server.

I never really got into the AE.  It might be cool to create some content...  I only ever 'played' with it.  I never quite got the hand of it.

But it would be nice to have an AE+ that could put contacts, story and mission arcs into the the game itself.  One day...?

Zone creators, map creators....new archetypes, new power sets. 

I think when the community really gets ahold of this we'll see just how far this can go. 

Azrael.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1334 on: April 24, 2019, 10:58:08 PM »
Agreed. Different server, different flavor.

I have many ideas in mind for tuning up some powers and archetypes and some ideas for new epics as well as the four lost incarnate powers
In fearful COH-less days

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #1335 on: April 24, 2019, 11:00:59 PM »

"We're all heroes".  I don't think the community gets to say that any more.

Time and loss allowed us to romanticize the community... but there were ALWAYS toxic entitled jerks in "the CoH Community" just like in every game "community".  The difference was the NUMBER of toxic entitled jerks compared to helpful considerate devoted players who wanted to help others.  The absolute number of toxic entitlement is always large, but ignoring them generally neuters them.  Embrace those who help and ignore those who wallow in butthurt and drama.
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

slickriptide

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1336 on: April 24, 2019, 11:07:16 PM »
I may be the only person who wants this - A progression server.

If I went to the trouble to host a server, I'd reset the story (not the game mechanics) back to Issue 1, complete with the Calvin Scott Task Force. Then I'd operate it similarly to the way that Everquest runs its progression servers, where there's some milestone content that triggers the next phase of the progression.

The problem is that the devs deliberately chose to avoid creating any more "milestone" content like Calvin Scott after that because it was too much work, so it might involve creating a bunch of custom milestones to fill in the gaps. I should think on that a bit (because, hey, that sounds EASY, right? Right? LOL).

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #1337 on: April 24, 2019, 11:19:48 PM »
Time and loss allowed us to romanticize the community... but there were ALWAYS toxic entitled jerks in "the CoH Community" just like in every game "community".  The difference was the NUMBER of toxic entitled jerks compared to helpful considerate devoted players who wanted to help others.  The absolute number of toxic entitlement is always large, but ignoring them generally neuters them.  Embrace those who help and ignore those who wallow in butthurt and drama.

Yeah, and there were also toxic people unrelated to the CoH community joining in and stoking the fires.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1338 on: April 24, 2019, 11:22:15 PM »
I may be the only person who wants this - A progression server.

If I went to the trouble to host a server, I'd reset the story (not the game mechanics) back to Issue 1, complete with the Calvin Scott Task Force. Then I'd operate it similarly to the way that Everquest runs its progression servers, where there's some milestone content that triggers the next phase of the progression.

The problem is that the devs deliberately chose to avoid creating any more "milestone" content like Calvin Scott after that because it was too much work, so it might involve creating a bunch of custom milestones to fill in the gaps. I should think on that a bit (because, hey, that sounds EASY, right? Right? LOL).

The problem with rolling back that far is you risk the removal of enhancement diversification......though some may enjoy that....

Rolling pvp back to pre issue 13.....tempting.....but may just make sure the arena doesn't have the diminishing returns....

Convert bloody bay and siren to hazard zones and leave pvp fo Warburg, rv and arena?......hmmmm

The AE is the easy way to generate new content
In fearful COH-less days

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #1339 on: April 24, 2019, 11:26:44 PM »
He's not talking about rolling back the mechanics, just the story-related content. Wouldn't be my thing personally but progression servers are popular with other MMOs.