More Titan Projects > ParagonWiki

Private Servers?

(1/5) > >>

Felderburg:
Copied from my original post here because I don't want to put effort into writing a new post, and the point is the same - (how) should Paragon Wiki cover private servers?: https://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13290.msg231569#msg231569

Paragon Wiki may have some thinking to do...

1. *Should* private servers be covered?

I say yes: Paragon Chat and Icon already are.

2. *How* should they be covered?

Unknown, until things get settled.

The first consideration is how much detail to go into, to cover Titan Network legally / internal policy wise.

Then there's the issue of what happens when people create their own, and there's a dozen different versions of CoH around. I would say some pages to describe them generally, and an overview of options out there, is probably good. Better than trying to track down every version and describe what makes it unique - individual servers can do that themselves.

Also, just make a category, and put it all under that single category. Boom, done.

eabrace:
There's some internal discussion going on about the general direction we want to take with all of the Titan services and applications.  Paragon Wiki is included in that discussion.

For now, assume we're going to record information and game content that was current up to (and prior to) shutdown.

As far as private servers, it will probably be permissible to mention that they exist and touch on the general concept (perfectly legal to say things like that).  But we won't directly reference any specific information on how to reach specific servers, contact the people that run those servers, or set up your own client.

* In the event that some corporate overlord should decide to go hunting down private servers, we don't want to end up in their crosshairs for aiding in the activity they're trying to stop, nor do we want to give them a directory of where to go looking.
* There may be servers that don't want to be found.
* The Titan Network should be neutral ground for everyone in the community, whether they're playing on Public Server A, Private Server B, Secret Server C, or not playing on any servers at all.

PhiloticKnight:
So.... if say we wanted to update badge information for the new SCORE-related servers... that's a no-no right now? How about on Talk pages?

Tahquitz:
I'll put it this way.  Each server admin can edit Issue 25 content as they see fit.  Then there's those who want to rollback to Issue 24 and then make new content, apart from Issue 25.

With the live game, there was only one source.  Now there's as many changes possible as game operators.

PhiloticKnight:
How about new page spaces for each server, such as a Homecoming page space, a /coxg page space, a Titan page space (if the team ever gets a public server going, I don't know if y'all are working on that or not), and so on and so on? That way, while they may diverge, they can all have a wiki "home" here, in one central location? Seems to me like the Titan Network, with its history, is in a prime place to help keep the disparate elements of the community together in some way, and if it ends up becoming just a historical record of just the way the game "used to be", then its influence and importance will be... diminished.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version