Author Topic: Private Servers?  (Read 14714 times)

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
Private Servers?
« on: April 19, 2019, 06:40:44 PM »
Copied from my original post here because I don't want to put effort into writing a new post, and the point is the same - (how) should Paragon Wiki cover private servers?: https://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13290.msg231569#msg231569

Paragon Wiki may have some thinking to do...

1. *Should* private servers be covered?

I say yes: Paragon Chat and Icon already are.

2. *How* should they be covered?

Unknown, until things get settled.

The first consideration is how much detail to go into, to cover Titan Network legally / internal policy wise.

Then there's the issue of what happens when people create their own, and there's a dozen different versions of CoH around. I would say some pages to describe them generally, and an overview of options out there, is probably good. Better than trying to track down every version and describe what makes it unique - individual servers can do that themselves.

Also, just make a category, and put it all under that single category. Boom, done.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
Re: Private Servers?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 02:46:32 AM »
There's some internal discussion going on about the general direction we want to take with all of the Titan services and applications.  Paragon Wiki is included in that discussion.

For now, assume we're going to record information and game content that was current up to (and prior to) shutdown.

As far as private servers, it will probably be permissible to mention that they exist and touch on the general concept (perfectly legal to say things like that).  But we won't directly reference any specific information on how to reach specific servers, contact the people that run those servers, or set up your own client.
  • In the event that some corporate overlord should decide to go hunting down private servers, we don't want to end up in their crosshairs for aiding in the activity they're trying to stop, nor do we want to give them a directory of where to go looking.
  • There may be servers that don't want to be found.
  • The Titan Network should be neutral ground for everyone in the community, whether they're playing on Public Server A, Private Server B, Secret Server C, or not playing on any servers at all.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

PhiloticKnight

• Minion
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 08:21:18 PM »
So.... if say we wanted to update badge information for the new SCORE-related servers... that's a no-no right now? How about on Talk pages?

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 10:28:02 PM »
I'll put it this way.  Each server admin can edit Issue 25 content as they see fit.  Then there's those who want to rollback to Issue 24 and then make new content, apart from Issue 25.

With the live game, there was only one source.  Now there's as many changes possible as game operators.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

PhiloticKnight

• Minion
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 11:14:16 PM »
How about new page spaces for each server, such as a Homecoming page space, a /coxg page space, a Titan page space (if the team ever gets a public server going, I don't know if y'all are working on that or not), and so on and so on? That way, while they may diverge, they can all have a wiki "home" here, in one central location? Seems to me like the Titan Network, with its history, is in a prime place to help keep the disparate elements of the community together in some way, and if it ends up becoming just a historical record of just the way the game "used to be", then its influence and importance will be... diminished.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 11:41:24 PM »
There's actually a different method for that sort of thing that's probably a much better option.  Again:  we're discussing it internally.  Please hold.  :D
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 06:33:13 PM »
How about new page spaces for each server, such as a Homecoming page space, a /coxg page space, a Titan page space (if the team ever gets a public server going, I don't know if y'all are working on that or not), and so on and so on?

Let me preface by saying I'm not privy to the internal discussions we're on hold for. The problem with this is that as the amount of private servers multiply, there won't be an easy way to keep track of them - or decide which ones get added to some sort of "private servers here!" page. Should the wiki track every person who says "hey, I've got a server running at home, anyone want to join?" And what about servers that add 100 badges in every zone - do we track every new badge, every new memorial? And what about servers that host objectionable content? Not to mention the current Titan policy of not directing people to servers (or at least doing so obliquely) would make such pages more or less irrelevant - no need for a whole wiki page saying "visit discord for more information."
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 10:55:44 PM »
Let me preface by saying I'm not privy to the internal discussions we're on hold for.
Really?  I thought you had access to that conversation.  Well, on the plus side, what you said is pretty close.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

PhiloticKnight

• Minion
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 11:49:48 PM »
I get not allowing information on how to ACCESS a private server, but I don't see how it would hurt anything to allow information ABOUT what's on the server. If five separate servers are created, and they all have their own separate issues 25, I don't see an issue with allowing there to be a "Homecoming" named pace where they can have their own Issue 25 page, and all the other servers can have an Issue 25 page. I just don't see what's wrong with that.

And admins won't be responsible for dealing with bad information on them, it'd) that'd be up to the community, since it's not CoH "Vanilla" or historical information.

Sleepykitty

• The Napping Cat
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2019, 03:14:30 AM »
Really?  I thought you had access to that conversation.  Well, on the plus side, what you said is pretty close.

o.o;; same.. not that its hard to guess the content of said discourse. We're mostly cleaning up the language right now on the main post, you should see the official verdict for the wiki soon.

one way or another though, I will point out that your user namespace can have anything you want on it, as long as it doesn't violate the sites rules of conduct. Within reason of course. >_> pls avoid media loadtime hell.

I get not allowing information on how to ACCESS a private server, but I don't see how it would hurt anything to allow information ABOUT what's on the server. If five separate servers are created, and they all have their own separate issues 25, I don't see an issue with allowing there to be a "Homecoming" named pace where they can have their own Issue 25 page, and all the other servers can have an Issue 25 page. I just don't see what's wrong with that.

And admins won't be responsible for dealing with bad information on them, it'd) that'd be up to the community, since it's not CoH "Vanilla" or historical information.

>_> well, in part, the i25 page is about the actual, started on issue 25 development that had been in progress when the game shut down. The Homecoming i25 version is based on what was included of that, but Leo has been working on and adding to that for years. He's done an amazing job for the most part, but its unofficial 3rd party.

Going forward there's going to be a LOT of 3rd party development. Both in tweaks to powers, possibly new powersets, and definitely lots of new missions ppl will build and make available in content packs. The planning is done for where the wiki will and needs to be next week, next year and five years from now. Don't worry, your back shall be gotten and info shall be retained!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 03:24:17 AM by Sleepykitty »
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I am Sleepy! Hear me Yawn!

o.o reachable at: My Paragonwiki Page

Sleepykitty

• The Napping Cat
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2019, 10:14:59 AM »
btw, the policy statement is now up

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2019, 04:18:30 PM »

Large assumption there.  Even Wikipedia, in a single subject project, community responsibility usually equals a handful of people versus 1,000 filling in wrong info, using hearsay, or vandalizing (mixed in with helpful or good faith edits.) ParagonWiki, it'll be on the shoulders of 2-3 folks for the most part.

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2019, 05:41:37 PM »
>_> well, in part, the i25 page is about the actual, started on issue 25 development that had been in progress when the game shut down. The Homecoming i25 version is based on what was included of that, but Leo has been working on and adding to that for years. He's done an amazing job for the most part, but its unofficial 3rd party.

This is my biggest problem with calling what SCoRE did "Issue 25" - it is very emphatically NOT issue 25; it's a bunch of QoL improvements / cash shop removal, and power set tweaks, and playing around with a new archetype. The actual story content of I25, as revealed in the Lore AMA, is nowhere to be found.

And what if *100* private servers are created? Regardless of how Paragon Wiki would manage to maintain accurate info on which servers exist or are continuously active, what is the cut off for "notability" of a server? Of those 100 servers created, which ones are important enough to be put on the wiki? Suddenly Paragon Wiki is accused of favoritism because it included x and y servers, but not z - even if server z never publicized itself and is run off of someone's laptop.

Additionally, Paragon Wiki has *never* been a place for player-created content. And honestly, that's what changes to the game on private servers are: fan fiction and player creations. Yes, it may be useful to know which server has perma-double XP, or which server has added 1,000 badges to Atlas Park, but I would say that players should be going to each server's home page (or whatever) to find that info out.

Maybe I do? I don't know. I don't pay as much attention to the forums as a whole as well as I used to.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2019, 06:51:26 PM »
This is my biggest problem with calling what SCoRE did "Issue 25" - it is very emphatically NOT issue 25; it's a bunch of QoL improvements / cash shop removal, and power set tweaks, and playing around with a new archetype. The actual story content of I25, as revealed in the Lore AMA, is nowhere to be found.

Which adds further confusion when Project Ouroboros finishes their Issue 24 server and does a continuity break from the rest as Volume II, Issue 1.  While Issue 25 doesn't have story content, if Vol 2 takes off in popularity and Issue 25+ servers diverge from there as well... We'll have even more fragmentation.  A fork of Paragon Wiki for each service as a jumping off point makes sense... If they want it.  If not, Interwiki linking and keeping their own wiki as light as possible also works out for all involved.

Some see it as making Paragon Wiki less relevant, but I see it as making more servers self reliant while keeping the Live Game Wiki intact as a reference to official Canon.

DeProgrammer

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • DePro Depot
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2019, 02:57:30 AM »
Additionally, Paragon Wiki has *never* been a place for player-created content.
Yeah, isn't that what Ouroboros Portal is for?

Sleepykitty

• The Napping Cat
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2019, 09:28:47 AM »

WanderingAries

• Elite Boss
  • @WanderingAries /\ Mostly on Torch
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2019, 11:33:06 PM »
Can we sum it up this way perhaps?

Any attempt to keep This Wiki in line with any/all of the existing/future versions of the game would be like taking every "Choose your own adventure" book, "The Butterfly Effect" movie, etc and attempting to make a single story of them all. If you want to understand how THAT would look, then go research Time Travel and Multi-verse theory. ;)
Find me on Homecoming:
https://www.homecomingservers.com

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2019, 09:35:27 PM »
If you want to understand how THAT would look, then go research Time Travel and Multi-verse theory. ;)

Are we talking about Avengers: Endgame time travel or Back to the Future time travel?  :P

Korbian

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2019, 11:05:43 PM »
I was really hoping for Doctor Who time travel.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2019, 05:05:26 AM »
I was hoping for Futurama. Roswell, Hearing Aide and A-Bomb Time Travel.