Author Topic: I have forgotten...  (Read 3243 times)

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
I have forgotten...
« on: April 24, 2019, 07:48:13 PM »
... so much about the game since it shut down.

I used to know all of the powers, all of the set bonuses, all of the geography and all of the story contacts. Just this morning I said to myself "Oh yeah, Sky Raiders were a thing, weren't they?" And as I'm getting back into development projects, I find myself needing to re-learn everything in order to get anywhere.

For something that was such a big part of my life ten years ago, I never expected to see it all flutter out of my brain like an autumn sparrow.

Vee

• Elite Boss
Re: I have forgotten...
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 08:20:05 PM »
You might have brain damage from all those sparrows.

Waffles

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 10:18:33 PM »
I have trouble remembering how to write certain things in Java and C++, but I still remember the keybind slash command.

/bind key powexecname whydoirememeber

DeProgrammer

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • DePro Depot
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 10:22:15 PM »
Muscle memory.

I still automatically go to Alt+3 for Sands of Mu.

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 10:22:30 PM »
I couldn't remember how to apply an enhancemnt!   :D
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Mistress Bloodwrath

• Boss
  • Femme Fatale
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 10:27:43 PM »
I just wish my computer wasn't in storage.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 11:00:41 PM »
In the last 24 hours:

* I was trying to remember the name of the aerospace company that was part of CoH lore and took an embarrassingly long time to come up with "Lockhart Aerospace" - which still isn't right.  It's "Lockhart Aerotech."

* I cracked a joke about a server crash being Unstoppable wearing off, but I couldn't recall the name of the power.  "Looks like Invincibility crashed.  Wait... Invunerability?  No, that was the name of the set.  What was it I had bound to F12 to warn my teammates?  'I'M ABOUT TO BECOME VERY...'  Man, what was it... '...STOPPABLE!'  That's it!  The power was Unstoppable!"

* And I had to look at the wiki to remind myself whether it was "Tank" or "Tanker".

All this from someone who spent an inordinate amount of time playing an Invulnerability/Super Strength Tanker as his main character.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 11:56:50 PM »
At least you didn't try using the discord bot command ?rank healer. and yes, i've seen that twice now.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 12:04:21 AM »
Unrelated tangent but my barely-within-TOS Invulnerability/Super Strength Spider-Man homage was the only character I took all the way to 50 before the game closed.

There was this GM that ended up helping me several times throughout the years, and only while I happened to be on that character he would always refer to it with quotation marks -- (e.g. let me know if you have any further problems with "Sapien Spider"), and I got the distinct impression he was trying to tell me that he knew what I was up to.  :-[

Corlagon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2019, 09:30:26 PM »
I had forgotten that enhancements can be combined, and only remembered just after I had placed the second one elsewhere.

Kheprera

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2019, 10:08:41 PM »
I can't remember how I played. I didn't use the mouse, instead using the number pad and various keybinds. Muscle memory is *gone*.

Wth?

Zombie Hustler

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 01:04:20 AM »
I second all of this. Playing seems far less natural than I remember (keyboard, mouse, space bar for jumping... did I have three hands before?). I still know where some of the plaques and badges are, but I had those pretty much memorized across the board and now I find myself wandering around, looking at corners. (The upshot is I'm refamiliarizing myself with the lore again, maybe even better than I had been when I was kind of autopiloting badge hunting).

No complaints thought!  ;)

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2019, 04:03:01 AM »
I second all of this. Playing seems far less natural than I remember (keyboard, mouse, space bar for jumping... did I have three hands before?). I still know where some of the plaques and badges are, but I had those pretty much memorized across the board and now I find myself wandering around, looking at corners. (The upshot is I'm refamiliarizing myself with the lore again, maybe even better than I had been when I was kind of autopiloting badge hunting).

No complaints thought!  ;)
Rarely do we get a second chance to enjoy a singular joy such as rediscovering this game- relish it!
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2019, 07:22:14 AM »
I've noticed the same. The thing that's really bugging me right now is trying to figure out and complete story arcs in the right order. On the old servers, I ran my main through back when your first few missions were based on your origin. From there, I just looked through Paragon Wiki and went with whichever ones seemed like missions my character would take on (usually stuff involving natural or tech enemies). The one character I made after they changed all that just got to Perez Park when the servers went dark, so I'm not sure how the newer arcs (like Twinshot's arc) fit in with everything that existed before it.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2019, 02:10:34 PM »
I couldn't remember how to apply an enhancemnt!   :D

LOL me too.

I saw them in the tray - but forgot how to get to the actual screen to slot them.

Then I noticed that "Manage" button.

But its like a bicycle - its all coming back to me as I play more.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2019, 11:53:51 PM »
Your bicycle comes back to you?  Are you sure it isn't possessed?
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Korbian

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2019, 12:50:59 AM »
He must've bought it in Croatoa.

gypsyav

• Boss
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2019, 05:07:38 AM »
I forgot you could combine 3 inspirations to make a different one. Muscle memory was still there though. I kept trying to use the keybinds I had before the shutdown then when they didn't work I had to look up how to set them. I also forgot where the emote list was.
Imagination is the seed of intelligence. Nourish it and watch it grow.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2019, 12:15:34 PM »
Your bicycle comes back to you?  Are you sure it isn't possessed?

Pretty sure. 75% - maybe 50.

Marine X

• Minion
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2019, 07:53:49 PM »
....that Clockwork in Kings Row don't care you are Level 5 on your way to a mission or why you are within 200 feet of them, the Purple Level little suckers will chase you down and extinguish your lifeforce, then loiter around in case you try to Rez.
When it's too tough for everyone else,
It's just right for me.......
( unless it's cold, or raining , or dirty,
 or there are Sappers, man I Hate those Guys )
                                                                   Marine X