Author Topic: Swamp Thing series...  (Read 4916 times)

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Swamp Thing series...
« on: April 27, 2019, 09:50:36 AM »
The DC Universe streaming service still wasn't available on my XBOne last I checked, and if this series works in a My Blue Heaven episode I'll actually start to be annoyed about it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LeQTd8Yrg0Q
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
Re: Swamp Thing series...
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 05:35:00 PM »
Why is Swamp Thing murdering people?
aka Majadi | Sugar Cane | Absinthe | Killer Antz | Bogatyra | ...
Best Video Game of 2016 -- Paragon Chat!!!
Codewalker for Mayor of Paragon!

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 08:44:33 PM »

I couldn't say for certain that he was.  The editing was all over the place.  Some of it could've been from the fire/explosion that apparently kills Holland and creates Swamp Thing.  It could've all been a frenzied escape from Arcane's men.  Hard to say.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 04:52:37 PM »
Looked like he was chasing down pretty innocent people and killing them.

Maybe there's an evil with similar powers, but the trailer sells this as a straight-up horror flick, with Swampy as the new Freddie Krueger. Seems a lot worse than Titan's Robin castrating bad guys. >:(

HalcyonS

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 12:59:51 AM »

Because they said their mother's name was Martha?

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 12:22:54 PM »

Well the fortunate things is that unlike Amazon, DC streaming is actually making their series available for sale. So you can buy them digitally.  Even buying every single series you'll still be overall paying less than subscribing to the service.  You'll just be a few months behind everybody else.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 08:40:17 PM »
Well the fortunate things is that unlike Amazon, DC streaming is actually making their series available for sale. So you can buy them digitally.  Even buying every single series you'll still be overall paying less than subscribing to the service.  You'll just be a few months behind everybody else.

Weird.  The price to buy a single season of a show is usually 2-3 times the cost of a month's subscription.

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2019, 01:44:15 AM »
Weird.  The price to buy a single season of a show is usually 2-3 times the cost of a month's subscription.

Well yeah, but the DC shows don't come out all at one time like Netflix. They are weekly so Titans at 11 weeks would be a three month subscription at 8 bucks a month.  Then you have Young Justice which started in at the beginning of January and released 3 episodes per week. But it went on hiatus at the end of January until July at which point there will be 12 more episodes.  Doom Patrol Started in February and is still currently running releasing 1 episode per week.  And I'm sure Swamp Thing will start up right as Doom Patrol or Young Justice is ending their season. So the entire model for their new series is to interlace them in such a way that you either have to keep your subscription active or wait till the end of the year and binge them all at once. 

Buying all of the series at full price amounts to pretty much the cost of maintaining your subscription through all of them except you actually own the series so you could still watch them at no additional charge while somebody who just subscribed will lose the ability to watch them unless they keep spending that subscription fee each month.  And if you actually wait longer then the price will undoubtedly drop in which case it's cheaper than being subscribed.

Yes waiting till the end of the year and binging all of them in a month or two is the cheapest option. But I prefer watching shows at my leisure and not worrying about having to get all the episodes in before the end of the month.  And being able to go back and rewatch when I want. Plus I would be buying them anyway if they are as good as people are saying.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2019, 01:28:35 PM »
Well, I dug the first ep. The progression was fairly predictable, but I'm liking the characters so far.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2019, 08:16:08 PM »
So I've yet to watch episode 1 and it's already been cancelled. That seems promising.

HalcyonS

• Boss
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2019, 09:27:39 PM »
Apparently it was cancelled in large part because NC messed up their tax rebate. It was supposed to be $40 million which would have been half the cost of season 1, but after they realized their mistake it only came to $14 million, leaving them $24 million in the hole.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2019, 01:08:47 PM »
Rumours are: HBO & CW are looking at picking it up.

*fingers crossed*

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2019, 01:54:07 PM »
Fingers crossed for hbo. I can't take another cw. They already have doctor mirage in pre-production so I'm already worried they're going to get hold of more valiant stuff too.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 06:52:17 PM by Vee »

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2019, 07:00:44 PM »
Finally got around to the pilot. wasn't really any worse than the titans and dp pilots so hoping it improves like they did.

One thing i learned though - when your main character is a lead CDC investigator and goes to patient zero's house without any hazmat gear or even a breathing mask or gloves, and continue on with no gear even after they find an unknown mold growing on the walls, it's important to remind the viewer that this is standard CDC procedure. This is best done by bookending the scene in question with one where the character specifically calls for gear for all who come into contact with the patient, and then another scene where they insist they're great at their job.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2019, 07:22:27 PM »
It's lightyears better than Titans, if only because they get the feel of Titans completely wrong, whereas this is actually a good telling of typical Swamp Thing.

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2019, 03:59:42 PM »
It's lightyears better than Titans, if only because they get the feel of Titans completely wrong, whereas this is actually a good telling of typical Swamp Thing.

I thought Titans was ok for just introducing the group since they decided to mostly go with adults instead of teens.  The two problems I had with it were Starfire's hooker outfit. If she had just worn it in the first two episodes because it was what she woke up in, no problem.  But she wore the same clothes without changing them for like two weeks solid.  And I hate what they did with Hawk and Dove. They are supposed to be champions of a Lord of Chaos and a Lord of Order. Not high range super powers but like doubling human abilities and fast healing.  Instead Robin is a superman compared to them.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2019, 04:39:03 AM »
Welp that went out with a yawn.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2019, 12:47:02 PM »
Pretty brutal fight scene.

Don't know how you can yawn at so many "whoa" shockers.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 05:25:44 PM by MyriVerse »

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2019, 07:23:04 PM »
I can yawn at anything. Not sure what was a 'woah shocker' in any of that either.
Spoiler for Hidden:
Avery stabbing the sheriff? A surprise but hardly shocking. Devil getting out? Meh. Floronic man? Only shocking if you didn't know who Jason Woodrue was before watching the show.