Author Topic: OpenGL Error  (Read 5406 times)

Crimson-Oriole

• Minion
OpenGL Error
« on: April 29, 2019, 01:44:42 PM »
Hey y'all,

So I moved a couple years back and my computer from '07 crapped the bed.  I took it apart, reset all the components and finally got it running with a fresh install of Windows 7 64-bit.  Once I tried to get into Paragon Chat, I received the OpenGL error.

This makes no sense because I used to play with ICON and Paragon Chat with the XP 64-bit install I previously had.

Does anyone have any insight or suggestions?

If my GPU (Radeon X1330/1550) previously supported OpenGL 2.0, why has it defaulted to 1.1 in Win7?  And how do I fix it?

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
Re: OpenGL Error
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 05:44:39 PM »
Older Radeons are really sensitive with drivers in my experience.  You're using Catalyst version 9 and not anything newer (or the Windows default driver) right?
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Crimson-Oriole

• Minion
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 07:26:01 PM »
I'm using the driver available via WDDM.  I've tried various versions of Catalyst, but none recognize my driver or give me an "unsigned driver" error.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 11:52:26 PM »
Because ATI discontinued the drivers, usually the last version available is up to 'current' standards and breaks older games.  You might have luck trying old copies of display drivers from archive sites, like FileHippo or MajorGeeks.

Crimson-Oriole

• Minion
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 12:14:42 AM »
Actually trying Catalyst 8.7 from Guru3D as I type this. 
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 12:36:12 AM by Crimson-Oriole »

Crimson-Oriole

• Minion
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 01:54:31 AM »
WDDM is going to piss me off.  Because the driver is in the .cab, every time I uninstall it and restart, it automatically updates the driver with that, despite not being connected to my network.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 03:55:28 AM »
This might help.  Straight from the source.

Crimson-Oriole

• Minion
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2019, 10:45:08 AM »
I tried the troubleshooter that you linked to no avail.  It is not compatible with Windows 7. 

I finally got Catalyst 9.1 to install and it installed my driver, but as soon as I restarted, WDDM overwrote the driver install. I'm going to see if it will let me roll back the driver after I get home from work.

Crimson-Oriole

• Minion
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2019, 12:16:11 AM »
This issue is tentatively resolved, now if only I can figure out what's causing this flickering on ICON.

Temporary resolution:

1. Download Catalyst 9.1

2. Install in Compatibility mode (Vista SP2) over top of WDDM default driver.

3.  Do not reboot. You may reboot at will.  The driver persists

I will edit if I notice any further change after a reboot.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 02:21:01 AM by Crimson-Oriole »

Korbian

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2019, 01:39:26 PM »
I know I don't know nearly as much about this stuff as the others, but that kind of sounds like what was happening to me when I was having hardware problems.  I wonder how your power supply and gpu are holding up.

Korbian

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2019, 01:17:20 PM »
You aren't doing anything wrong.  A quote from much smarter people than I...
Intel and Windows 10 offer next-to-no support for OpenGL or legacy graphics engines, partially due to Microsoft's push for DirectX; Windows 10 doesn't even support hardware-accelerated OpenGL at all.

They go on to say it's mostly modern laptops having the issue, and that they are planning on looking into it once way more pressing things get sorted out.  The Homecoming forums will be a much better resource for you, though, for that, I think.

Crimson-Oriole

• Minion
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2019, 01:46:03 PM »
Thanks Korbian.

I still haven't been able to play due to the flicker issues, so I've decided to just purchase a new GPU.

Korbian

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2019, 01:54:17 PM »
Let us know how it works out for you!  :D

Crimson-Oriole

• Minion
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2019, 04:10:06 PM »
So, I decided to try a couple different games out of curiosity while I save a little money for a new GPU.  I installed SPORE from an old disc I had and it runs flawlessly on max settings.  I also tried SWTOR and it won't even launch, though that may be a different issue I haven't looked into. 

Are there some settings in Catalyst that I can try to adjust or a command I can use on Tequila to launch to bypass default game settings?