Author Topic: Mute Power Sound Effects?  (Read 3682 times)

Neo Nocturna

• Underling
Mute Power Sound Effects?
« on: May 04, 2019, 12:07:35 AM »
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away... I remember there being a thread on the old CoH official forums on how to go about muting sound effects for certain powers in-game, even though it was heavily discouraged because it was a violation of the ToS. Does anyone happen to remember where this thread is, or alternatively, does anyone happen to know how to go about muting power sound effects? Something about replacing the .ogg sound effect files with blank .ogg files? How do I even access those .ogg files? I dunno. :gonk:

doc7924

• Elite Boss
Re: Mute Power Sound Effects?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 01:08:51 AM »
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away... I remember there being a thread on the old CoH official forums on how to go about muting sound effects for certain powers in-game, even though it was heavily discouraged because it was a violation of the ToS. Does anyone happen to remember where this thread is, or alternatively, does anyone happen to know how to go about muting power sound effects? Something about replacing the .ogg sound effect files with blank .ogg files? How do I even access those .ogg files? I dunno. :gonk:

Just curious as to why someone would want to do this.

I think all the sound files are rolled up into piggs so not sure how to access just one from the larger files.

Unless if you had a folder to override somethings - like when you could say change an "S" to a Superman logo for one of your toons but only you could see it. But if anyone else had an "S" it would also show up as the logo.

Neo Nocturna

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 01:41:39 AM »
Just curious as to why someone would want to do this.

For the same reason many people wanted to do this years ago as well - Spines. I'm playing a Spines/Dark Brute and I'd like to mute some of the annoying Spines sound effects, like the "burst" effect whenever Quills fire from your body, or the toxic damage sounds. Other sounds I find annoying are Mudpots and Hasten, and I'm very much aware that if I did this I wouldn't be able to hear the sounds from -any- source, including other players; that's exactly what I want.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 02:43:24 AM »
At its core, this is a broader discussion about customization within the CoH client files.  There are a few different things that you can customize on the client end (you'll see them on your computer, but no one else will).  Sounds are one of these.  Texture files are another.  This is all by design and it's how the VidiotMaps overlays work, too.

When the game goes looking for texture and sound files, before it looks in the PIGGs, it first checks for the "data" folder in your CoH installation directory.  If it finds what it's looking for there, it won't bother looking in the PIGG files.

For example, if it wants to grab the citymap.texture file, and it finds that in \data\texture_library\MAPS\city\citymap.texture, it loads that texture without looking at the files in texMaps.pigg.

For sounds, the idea is the same, but the path name under \data needs to match the path name where the sound would be stored in the PIGGs.

For the periodic spine burst, I think you need to place a dummy .ogg file in \data\sound\Ogg\Powers\QuillExplo2.ogg
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Neo Nocturna

• Underling
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 05:51:35 AM »
At its core, this is a broader discussion about customization within the CoH client files.  There are a few different things that you can customize on the client end (you'll see them on your computer, but no one else will).  Sounds are one of these.  Texture files are another.  This is all by design and it's how the VidiotMaps overlays work, too.

When the game goes looking for texture and sound files, before it looks in the PIGGs, it first checks for the "data" folder in your CoH installation directory.  If it finds what it's looking for there, it won't bother looking in the PIGG files.

For example, if it wants to grab the citymap.texture file, and it finds that in \data\texture_library\MAPS\city\citymap.texture, it loads that texture without looking at the files in texMaps.pigg.

For sounds, the idea is the same, but the path name under \data needs to match the path name where the sound would be stored in the PIGGs.

For the periodic spine burst, I think you need to place a dummy .ogg file in \data\sound\Ogg\Powers\QuillExplo2.ogg

Wonderful! Very insightful information, thank you so much. I'll try out the path and see if it works, but even if it doesn't, this gives me much more to go off of. :)

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 03:34:47 PM »

Dummy file would probably work. Easy enough to try.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2019, 04:42:08 PM »
I'd hoped that if development continued that eventually null the gull would have had a sound on/off menu (looking at you demon mm) that would have covered individual effects across the board. Sounds like this method might work for that depending on how committed to digging one is.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2019, 05:45:40 PM »
I'd hoped that if development continued that eventually null the gull would have had a sound on/off menu (looking at you demon mm) that would have covered individual effects across the board. Sounds like this method might work for that depending on how committed to digging one is.

They had to customize colors and animations for powers. Would have been nice if they had alternate sound effects as well, and an on/off toggle.

Neo Nocturna

• Underling
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2019, 07:32:22 PM »
On a similar note, do you happen to know the directory and file name for the Demon Summoning roar they periodically make? I can't seem to find it under powers, but I haven't exactly been checking every single file...

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2019, 09:20:15 PM »
I don't know which file it is, but it's probably one of the 87 files under Ogg/DemonSummoning.  :D

Code: [Select]
DemonLieu_AbyssalEmpowermentVOX_01.ogg
DemonLieu_DismissVOX_01.ogg
DemonLieu_DismissVOX_02.ogg
DemonLieu_DismissVOX_03.ogg
DemonLieu_Dismiss_01.ogg
DemonLieu_EnchantVOX_01.ogg
DemonLieu_HellOnEarthVOX_01.ogg
DemonLieu_Look_01.ogg
DemonLieu_Look_02.ogg
DemonLieu_Look_03.ogg
DemonLieu_Look_04.ogg
DemonLieu_SpawnVOX_01.ogg
DemonLieu_SpawnVOX_02.ogg
DemonLieu_SpawnVOX_03.ogg
DemonLieu_Spawn_01.ogg
DemonLieu_Taunt_01.ogg
Demonling_AbyssalEmpowermentVOX_01.ogg
Demonling_DismissVOX_01.ogg
Demonling_DismissVOX_02.ogg
Demonling_DismissVOX_03.ogg
Demonling_EnchantVOX_01.ogg
DemonLing_HellOnEarthVOX_01.ogg
DemonLing_Look_01a.ogg
DemonLing_Look_01b.ogg
DemonLing_Look_01c.ogg
DemonLing_Look_02a.ogg
DemonLing_Look_02b.ogg
DemonLing_Look_02c.ogg
DemonLing_Look_03a.ogg
DemonLing_Look_03b.ogg
DemonLing_Look_03c.ogg
Demonling_SwipeFlurry_01.ogg
Demonling_SwipeFlurry_02.ogg
Demonling_SwipeFlurry_03.ogg
DemonPrince_AbyssalEmpowermentVOX_01.ogg
DemonPrince_Dismiss.ogg
DemonPrince_DismissVOX_01.ogg
DemonPrince_EnchantVOX_01.ogg
DemonPrince_HellOnEarthVOX_01.ogg
DemonPrince_Look_01.ogg
DemonPrince_Look_02.ogg
DemonPrince_Look_03.ogg
DemonPrince_SpawnVOX_01.ogg
DemonPrince_Spawn_01.ogg
Demon_AbyssalRecon.ogg
Demon_AbyssalRecon_Hit.ogg
Demon_BreathAttack_Cold.ogg
Demon_BreathAttack_Fire.ogg
Demon_BreathHi_In_01.ogg
Demon_BreathHi_In_02.ogg
Demon_BreathHi_In_03.ogg
Demon_BreathHi_In_04.ogg
Demon_BreathHi_In_05.ogg
Demon_BreathHi_Out_01.ogg
Demon_BreathHi_Out_02.ogg
Demon_BreathHi_Out_03.ogg
Demon_BreathHi_Out_04.ogg
Demon_BreathHi_Out_05.ogg
Demon_BuffFX_01.ogg
Demon_CastHit_01.ogg
Demon_CastHit_02.ogg
Demon_CastHit_03.ogg
Demon_Cast_01.ogg
Demon_Cast_02.ogg
Demon_Cast_03.ogg
Demon_ClawHit_01.ogg
Demon_ClawHit_02.ogg
Demon_ClawHit_03.ogg
Demon_FireHit_01.ogg
Demon_IceHit_01.ogg
Demon_SpawnFX_Loop.ogg
Demon_SpawnGroundBurst_01.ogg
Demon_SpawnGroundBurst_02.ogg
Demon_SpawnGroundBurst_03.ogg
Demon_SummonFX_01.ogg
Demon_Swipe_01.ogg
Demon_Swipe_02.ogg
Demon_Swipe_03.ogg
FF_DemonSweet_01.ogg
FF_DemonSweet_02.ogg
Resistance_Cold_Loop.ogg
Resistance_Fire_Loop.ogg
Resistance_Hellfire_Loop.ogg
Whip_Corruption_01.ogg
Whip_CrackWhip_01.ogg
Whip_HellOnEarth_01.ogg
Whip_Lash_01.ogg
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Vindicator

• Underling
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2019, 04:04:02 AM »
Would someone please tell me how to silence the Rage crash sound from Super Strength?  I just need to know what the power name is, or how to search for it on my own.  Thank you.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 06:05:52 PM by Vindicator »

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2019, 06:28:31 AM »
You wouldn't like my answer.

Options, Graphics and Audio, turn both sliders for audio off.  (I listen to other music when I play.) Power sound effects, just the one slider for sound FX.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Vindicator

• Underling
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2019, 09:15:26 PM »
You wouldn't like my answer.

Options, Graphics and Audio, turn both sliders for audio off.  (I listen to other music when I play.) Power sound effects, just the one slider for sound FX.

Ummm... yeah... I was looking for something more constructive and on-topic  :roll: