Author Topic: Virus Scannage  (Read 4811 times)

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
Virus Scannage
« on: July 06, 2019, 01:52:18 PM »
Hey, for better or worse I'm finally using Windows 10. (I was perfectly happy with Windows 7 and now I'm perfectly satisfied with 10, so far.). The very first thing I did when I got online with Windows 10 was to install the Virus Scanner I had in Windows 7.

Do I really even need to install a virus scanner in Windows 10? Isn't Defender trying to be a full fledged one? If I do use my virus scanner, should I get rid of Defender?

It doesn't seem like a good idea to have 2 programs scanning for viruses. That used to crash PCs. It doesn't, now, but, do I really need the extra overhead? I mean, I hardly ever even download anything to begin with. I'm leaning towards letting Defender do the heavy lifting and dumping my old antivirus software that I've been using since ~ 2005.

Any opinions?
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
Re: Virus Scannage
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 02:59:33 PM »
Defender is enough virus scan for most people. Yup, MS finally stepped up their game in this regard. I don't think you can get rid of Defender. It's part of Win10. It'll shut off if there's another AV.

Or Kapsersky, Avast, Bitdefender, whatever.
aka Majadi | Sugar Cane | Absinthe | Killer Antz | Bogatyra | ...
Best Video Game of 2016 -- Paragon Chat!!!
Codewalker for Mayor of Paragon!

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 04:05:28 PM »
It doesn't seem like a good idea to have 2 programs scanning for viruses. That used to crash PCs. It doesn't, now, but, do I really need the extra overhead?

Like Myri said, Defender will disable itself if another Anti-Virus app is present.  Running two anti-virus apps is a bad idea -- however, pairing an anti-virus scanner with a anti-malware program (Most popular three include MalwareBytes, Spybot Search & Destroy, SuperAntiMalware, etc.) works well, as most anti-virus scanners do not stop browser exploits or programs that are malware (or programs has little to no benefit to a user, but doesn't explicitly cause harm to their computer, like "coupon delivery" ad-network apps, 'feature replacement' programs for things you have already, or marketing spyware).
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

WanderingAries

• Elite Boss
  • @WanderingAries /\ Mostly on Torch
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 09:56:47 PM »
Look for something that calls itself something like Internet Security Software or references something like that. The average price is like $50/yr for a multi-license. A 2nd layer app is a good idea and any good app can be configured to work properly with Defender. It should NOT be disabling defender though.
Find me on Homecoming:
https://www.homecomingservers.com

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2019, 11:37:28 PM »
First of all, thanks  : )

https://app.box.com/file/487121700618 (screenie)

Looks like Defender is taking the back seat when it comes to Virus Scanning.

Doesn't Defender have Malware protection? Defender's still turned on in App and Browser control.

I don't plan on needing super duper protection. I surf game sites, shop a tiny bit.., rarely download anything and scan it before I use it. AVG all by its lonesome *seems* to have protected me fine up to now.

I guess what triggered this question, is, it just dawned on me that I installed a Virus Scanner into Windows Defenderized Windows 10 and it didn't seem like a good idea to have 2 Virus Scanners trying to be the boss. Now that I see that Defender (seems to be) is playing nice with AVG I'm thinking about leaving things as-is. Or maybe dumping AVG somewhere down the road and letting Defender do all the work.

P.S. I despise Spybot Search and Destroy but I haven't tried it in a long time. I haven't used *any* software that only protects against malware (on top of a multi-purpose virus scanners) in a long time due to bad experiences.

Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2019, 12:00:44 AM »
Not a tacit endorsement of any of the products, just showing the differences.

After being a fan of Symantec and Ad-Aware at one point in time, I know all protective apps eventually falter, so it's hard to put much trust into any of them.  Just use what works, and what isn't going to cost too much in price and convenience.  Pointing out advantages and shortcomings in anti-virus and malware apps I find about as exciting as picking a medical plan at work.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 02:20:16 PM »
As I was saying since OP, the thing that triggered this was the fact that it suddenly (I read something about Defender trying to be WonderProtector and doing decently at it - I didn't realize Defender had grown up until then) dawned on me that I had 2 virus scanners installed. That used to be a big no-no.

I don't see any major reaction here, one way or another (like TQ says: *yawn*), on what to do for protection, and, it doesn't look like having a virus scanner installed on top of Defender is a big deal, so, yeah, thanks. I just needed to check the latest .. errr.. Protection Vibe.

I appreciate your guys' input. I'm way out of date on lots of things. Windows 10 is all new to me, too.
Some Faves:

Goddangit

• Daisy Duke's
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 09:54:22 PM »
Just myself, but I've been using ESET in conjunction with Malwarebytes and ZoneAlarm to monitor programs and network traffic.  I have been very satisfied with them.  (ZA caught Word trying to "phone home" which I find curious since I have never activated it and use Open Office.)  They do what I want and leave me alone unless there is an issue. I've been using 7 and will also soon have to make the Great Leap to Win10.  I disdained 8, claiming if I wanted a tablet I would have bought a tablet.  10 can be made to look and act enough like what I'm used to it should satisfy the curmudgeon in me.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 06:14:54 PM »
Zone Alarm! Haven't heard that name in awhile.. I used to use that and can remember it being a good experience.

10 can be made to look and act enough like what I'm used to it should satisfy the curmudgeon in me.

You know what, I really like(d) Windows 7. It just worked. I was used to it...

I like 10 better, already. I mean... visually, anyway. I even use my Start Menu now and I even use it daily. I can track my Internet usage wayyy better. It seems fast but it's hard to tell due to I've never ran anything else on this PC and it's way faster than my last one.

Everything I liked about my Windows 7 interface is available in my Windows 10 interface, except, I had Aero withdrawal pangs in the beginning. The better than Windows 7 theme I ended up with got me over that.

I just hope the updates end up being manageable. I've got data limits (they throttle). The next update that is already looming over me to download (as I wait for the end of my ISP's billing month), I read, is 2-4 gigs. Quite a bit larger than we're used to with Windows 7.

Otherwise, it seems like a worthy update, so far. Like 3.0, 3.1, 3.11, 95, Vista, and Windows 7 were. Would I have done it if not forced into it? Probably not. Am I glad I did it? Humm. Well, I'd rather have the $130, but, it had to be done eventually I guess, so, I'm glad the move has been a positive one, so far. It was a Rocky Start with 7 gigs of downloads and my Bluetooth blinking in and out and my speakers continually reverting to stereo from surround sound and my BIOS no longer turning the PC on in the morning due to a Windows Setting change that it decided to make for itself, but, ever since that really crummy start things seem to be good and Windows seems to have stopped doing things in the background 'for me'. The crummy stuff happened on day 2 of Windows 10. The install, and Day 1, were smooth as silk (with huge downloads..). I dunno what happened on Day 2 but I just kept turning off everything I could find that allowed Windows to do things 'for me' in the background and haven't had a problem, since. I even got better/newer sound drivers from Windows 10 than from the latest offering of my motherboard manufacturer. That's pretty good for Windows!
Some Faves: