Author Topic: The state of the community  (Read 23441 times)

Goddangit

• Daisy Duke's
  • Elite Boss
The state of the community
« on: July 21, 2019, 01:59:21 AM »
Those that were always ready to share "you're doing it wrong", "that costume sucks", and of course the kill-stealer were always present, although the majority of the community were decent people and would speak strongly against such actions.  It has been my recent experience that is no longer the case.  Was my experience an isolated thing or has the CoH community, and indeed all of the gaming community become that bad?  Are the kill-stealer, the rude, the self-entitled now the norm?  I'm coming to the conclusion things have changed.  (And I take comfort in the fact there is no longer one single place; I can choose who I associate with.)  I departed SecondLife and formed an Open Simulator grid with friends I value for similar reasons.  What is your experience?  What is your opinion?

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
Re: The state of the community
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 03:23:02 AM »
MMOs in general have become more rude and selfish, yeah. There are a ton of reasons for this and I doubt it's going to change much for any larger title any time in the foreseeable future. This isn't new, it's just more convenient for people to behave that way now. That's not to say there aren't a ton of good people out there playing these games or that all of the other players who seem to be snubbing you are actually bad, but the genre is what is.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 05:32:25 AM »
The groups I ran in tended to be more insular and less "open to the public" (not that "in with the in crowd" sense, but the "our group's drama is enough, pick-up groups don't need to add to it" sense).  I've dealt with (and at times been the source of) plenty of it myself when the game was live, over things that ultimately didn't matter compared with the shutdown.  It's easier to dismiss bad behavior when it happens, as "it's just a game" is a far lighter admission to me now than it was 10 years ago.

That's made me less of a curmudgeon in this new era, as when I run with people in the larger community through a mission...  If they're immature, I finish the run, and say farewell.  If they're mature and seem cool, I engage further. 
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 05:53:55 AM »
kill stealers? that's not been a problem in coh since i don't even know what issue.

that said it seems about the same as it was once ftp hit to me, though i've not been able to team much lately and when i do it's with my group of friends. help chan seems about the same. a couple trolls i've /ignored. more racist names than on live but it's volunteer modded and it's a different world than 2012 too. and it's still leagues short of swtor hubchat levels of racism. still seems to be overall the friendliest community i've come across.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2019, 06:58:02 AM »
kill stealers? that's not been a problem in coh since i don't even know what issue.

Not in the WOW sense, as loot drops aren't a thing in COH.  But in places where the mobs are in short supply like Atlas Park, and someone who is clearly well past Level 5 starts sweeping the streets leaving nothing for the new characters. (Hard to arrest five skulls when there aren't none, and when they respawn, he's back wiping them out again.)

Things like that.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Goddangit

• Daisy Duke's
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2019, 04:57:32 PM »
Not in the WOW sense, as loot drops aren't a thing in COH.  But in places where the mobs are in short supply like Atlas Park, and someone who is clearly well past Level 5 starts sweeping the streets leaving nothing for the new characters. (Hard to arrest five skulls when there aren't none, and when they respawn, he's back wiping them out again.)

Things like that.

Precisely.  This latest incident involves a specific mission to hunt fifty Carnies in PI.  At level 45 most I see are purple; I can only handle one purple at a time and the Ring Mistress red or worse is out.  I had been culling Malta and Nemesis in spots I know they spawn for a good twenty minutes before I finally got a nice group and jumped into the middle of them, grabbing the attention of the bunch with a foot stomp.  I had two down when this fellow drops in on my action.  It was another half hour before I could get more to spawn.

Had a similar and worse incident a week before.  My level 15 controller (Yes, I'm an altaholic.) had locked down three council and was slowly taking them out.  Suddenly a brave scrapper swoops in and takes them like a cat scooping a still live mouse off a glue trap. Easy kill for him at my expense.

I've come to the conclusion I'm out of step and simply a dinosaur.  From now on I'm going to either solo on a public server, build a home server or simply go play something else.  Steam is probably wondering if I'm okay since I haven't played Skyrim in almost three months and there's a lot of scripting in Open Simulator I could be doing.  Sometimes you can't go back home.  Thanks, everyone.

WanderingAries

• Elite Boss
  • @WanderingAries /\ Mostly on Torch
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 11:40:28 PM »

Things like that.

And it's not just upper level, it's that so many people are running similar content solo and it's drying up the spawns quickly. I've noticed some are teaming up (allowing you to share kills), but not everyone wants to team.
Find me on Homecoming:
https://www.homecomingservers.com

WanderingAries

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2019, 11:42:34 PM »
As for the main point? Those who've played in the past and Maybe stayed away from other MMOs don't seem to be this way as much as those who have Or those who are more into MMOs than say console/solo games. Hence why I stay away from said communities. *coughs*XBL*coughs*
Find me on Homecoming:

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 01:16:43 AM »
The drama that opened the servers also brought the game to the attention of trolls and 4chaners, who are still swarming all the servers and haven't gotten tired of the novelty yet.

Maybe in 6 month to a year they will....or then again, they're getting such glee out of pwning everyone else they'll stick around.

I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Ultimate15

• Boss
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2019, 05:25:15 PM »
I mean, I don't think the community was ever - at any point - completely void of your typical, run-of-the-mill troll / kill-stealer / nube. They've always been around, and they'll rear their ugly heads from time to time.

But I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice by getting so frustrated with them that you'd want to stop playing all together. Nor do I think that just because you had a couple bad experiences, that means something has 'changed' about the community and it's not what it once was. It was always great (and it still is) but it's never been perfect.

So don't let them get you this upset, is what I'm saying. It's not worth it.
Viva la Virtue!

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2019, 05:59:14 PM »
Since the server opened the vast majority of people I've met or experienced on Everlasting (Homecoming server) have been nice, chill, and helpful.

Of course, that's been true of most of the people I've met on most of the servers I've played on in most of the online games I've played in the last 20 years.

A healthy mix of a positive outlook and a thick skin helps. If you want to have a good community it starts with being a good community member.

Ultimate15

• Boss
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2019, 08:09:36 PM »
A healthy mix of a positive outlook and a thick skin helps.

+1
Viva la Virtue!

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2019, 09:54:12 PM »
The drama that opened the servers also brought the game to the attention of trolls and 4chaners, who are still swarming all the servers and haven't gotten tired of the novelty yet.

Maybe in 6 month to a year they will....or then again, they're getting such glee out of pwning everyone else they'll stick around.

I'm going to echo what Victoria said. Since the CoH server is "free to play" and open to the public where EVERYONE in the world can play. There are people/players that are from Overwatch, WoW, Elders Scrolls, etc. If the players are salty from Overwatch then they're going to be salty in CoH. I've encountered 2 trolls while playing the game so far. The first troll I encountered, someone was forming an Apex TF. I told him I was interested in joining just let me get to RWZ for an invite which he agreed to wait for me because I was a villain. When I got there he invited someone else when he agreed to wait. I told him to never do that again and he got an attitude. I'm not going to tell you the other troll I experienced.

Player Tip: When you form a group and someone pm's you saying to save a spot PLEASE WAIT FOR THAT PERSON AND DON'T BE A DICK BY INVITING SOMEONE ELSE!!!!!!!! If the player takes too long then invite someone else.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 02:42:08 PM by Dev7on »

Shenanigunner

• Lieutenant
    • Heroica!
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2019, 10:56:23 PM »
Gotta say... I've pretty consistently defended the community as being 99% heroes with the occasional jerk, who is usually squelched pretty quickly.

Then today (in Help) I dropped a mild comment about the keyboard and good binds being an asset, at least, far more efficient than 100% hunting and clicking icons - since that's the way the game was designed - and caught 15 minutes of abuse and shit for being 'l33t' and so forth. Even those who came in on my side caught BS from what seemed to be a group of teenies who had never played anything but controller games.

And then it devolved/sidetracked into a stupid "what's your favorite flavor of ice cream" exchange that went on and on... until an effing GM joined in.

The @sshole quotient is rising as word of the game spreads. Sigh.
== The Guide, the GABB files and the GSNOTTY list, all at (NEW!) www.Shenanigunner.com ==

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2019, 01:46:52 PM »
Gotta say... I've pretty consistently defended the community as being 99% heroes with the occasional jerk, who is usually squelched pretty quickly.

Then today...
The @sshole quotient is rising as word of the game spreads. Sigh.

If you ever thought the community was 99% heroes, you were wearing very tinted blinders.  The community AFTER THE GAME WAS GONE, and even during the post-shutdown announcement period, was 85%-90% heroes -- but you were forgetting the live servers.  While AE chased a lot of the trollier jerks out of the main game play, there was ALWAYS quite a percentage of @ssholes -- it's just that CoH has a lot of ways of avoiding them -- you can always turn off a channel that gets bogged with annoying chatter.

"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

WanderingAries

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2019, 07:59:16 PM »
If you ever thought the community was 99% heroes, you were wearing very tinted blinders...

We could quibble over the percentages, but either way the game is Mostly the best of what can be and there'll always be Somebody that has to be "that guy" in the game. Luckily we can generally ignore them or report as needed. Maybe once we get back to being a "real boy" server group, then the enforcement will have more teeth.
Find me on Homecoming:

LadyShin

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2019, 11:39:43 AM »
Despite percentages, when starting in Praetoria I never saw another soul. It was a perpetual ghost town.
"Frank! It's the love boat to Cuba! Shuffle board and pineapples filled with rum. Know what they do? They put little paper umbrellas sticking out the top so that when it rains, it don't thin out the liquor."

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2019, 03:30:54 PM »
Despite percentages, when starting in Praetoria I never saw another soul. It was a perpetual ghost town.
It was mostly like that on live too after the first rush. At least on HC you can run the arcs through ouro at your leisure without getting stuck there.

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2019, 01:46:16 PM »
Is it safe to say that the trolls from 4chan have vanished or it's still too early to say? It's been quite lately now.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2019, 10:13:09 PM »
Is it safe to say that the trolls from 4chan have vanished or it's still too early to say? It's been quite lately now.

They have their own server, so... sort of?

Although they've had it since pretty much day 1 of private servers going public.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame