Author Topic: The Boys  (Read 4839 times)

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
The Boys
« on: July 22, 2019, 01:47:50 AM »
Language and violence warning for the trailer:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=06rueu_fh30

I only recently discovered it's based on a comic.  I was mainly interested in it because Karl Urban.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Re: The Boys
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 04:18:13 AM »
Only 8 episodes in the season.  Pretty good story, though I'd say it was a bit raunchier than it needed to be in a couple of places.  But the ending was unsatisfying.  I hope it gets a second season.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 07:11:34 AM »
I'm through 5 eps and like it so far.

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 09:27:22 PM »
Only 8 episodes in the season.  Pretty good story, though I'd say it was a bit raunchier than it needed to be in a couple of places.  But the ending was unsatisfying.  I hope it gets a second season.

Amazon Prime already renewed for its second season.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 10:26:12 PM »
Yay renewal. I finished it. Looking forward to the second season.
Spoiler for Hidden:
So I guess Daniel-san can't call her "Ali with an i" anymore...Too soon?

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2019, 06:52:05 AM »
Yay renewal. I finished it. Looking forward to the second season.
Spoiler for Hidden:
So I guess Daniel-san can't call her "Ali with an i" anymore...Too soon?

Glad it got renewed.  I did not recognize the actress.  Had to research that joke.  ;P

slickriptide

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2019, 03:43:17 PM »
I'm three eps in so far and liking it. This is the world where Hero Corp won, heh.

I thought it was a nice touch, treating the Supes contracts like a sports franchise.

I _would_ like to learn something about how a world with so many Supes in it still has criminals dumb enough to, say, fire an assault rifle at Homelander and expect it to do anything useful.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 04:38:44 PM »
They didn't throw their guns at him when shooting didn't work.  That's a step up for criminal intelligence!

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2019, 06:27:42 PM »
They didn't throw their guns at him when shooting didn't work.  That's a step up for criminal intelligence!

I love the old Captain Marvel serial where they shoot bullets at him and they bounce off yet he gets knocked down after getting hit from behind with a wooden chair.

Unless the producers got him mixed up with the Golden Age Green Lantern

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2019, 03:01:29 AM »
Just getting around to watching this series today.  Made it through the first four episodes so far.  I can definitely see that it came from the same mind that spawned Preacher.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2019, 04:37:47 AM »
Just getting around to watching this series today.  Made it through the first four episodes so far.  I can definitely see that it came from the same mind that spawned Preacher.

Beyond the vague recognition that there's a comic I'm unfamiliar with Preacher - so is that comparison good or bad?  Moreover, is there a Preacher movie or series I should be looking into?

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2019, 03:58:24 AM »
Beyond the vague recognition that there's a comic I'm unfamiliar with Preacher - so is that comparison good or bad?  Moreover, is there a Preacher movie or series I should be looking into?

From my point of view Preacher is well worth watching. It's an AMC series which is currently in it's fourth and final season.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2019, 04:02:02 AM »
AMC is currently airing the final season of Preacher.  I've enjoyed it.  Basic plot is that God has left Heaven and no one knows where he went.  Meanwhile, the worst preacher you can imagine ends up in possession of the voice of Genesis that allows him to compel anyone to do whatever he tells them to.  He, his career criminal girlfriend, and a vampire go looking for God.

The biggest two similarities I see are that both share a very dark sense of humor and lean toward "heavily gratuitous" in the gore category.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2019, 12:35:37 AM »
AMC is currently airing the final season of Preacher.  I've enjoyed it.  Basic plot is that God has left Heaven and no one knows where he went.  Meanwhile, the worst preacher you can imagine ends up in possession of the voice of Genesis that allows him to compel anyone to do whatever he tells them to.  He, his career criminal girlfriend, and a vampire go looking for God.

I'd add a basic contempt of authority as well in both shows.  Lots of apt comparisons exist The Boys' Vought Corporation, and Preacher's The Grail... (It's a healthy contempt, though. Both are in the "we think we do more good than bad" camp.) 

The first season of The Boys ends with the same feel of kneejerk as the first season of Preacher does in the plot, which takes the entire first season to get to their main arc (although the events from Annville, TX leave the trio no choice.)  The Boys has a different cliffhanger, but it's just as effective.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 12:43:59 AM by Tahquitz »
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran