Author Topic: Spider-Man leaving the MCU  (Read 10362 times)

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
Re: Spider-Man leaving the MCU
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 09:59:59 PM »
Ego.  On both sides.

Disney: Toys aren't selling as hot.  We need more cash.
Sony: Spider-Verse did great!  We're gonna roll the dice.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 04:55:10 AM »
Because some shortsighted twit made terrible licensing agreements.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

HalcyonS

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 11:39:15 PM »
I'd be willing to bet that this is just a negotiating tactic between the 2 of them and eventually we'll get an announcement about how he's back in.

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 03:52:42 AM »
Personally I think Sony has a lot of leverage because it looked like the MCU was setting up Spidey to take the Iron Man role. Kind of the guy that everybody interacts with even when he isn't really part of the story. And he quickly became pretty much the favorite character in the MCU. It's really hard at this point for Disney to just ignore him.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 12:27:52 AM »
I'd be willing to bet that this is just a negotiating tactic between the 2 of them and eventually we'll get an announcement about how he's back in.

Hopefully agreements like these won't be as often as we have cable channel disputes (e.g.: AT&T dropping CBS channels, etc.) although Disney and Sony are in a unique spot.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 07:35:41 PM »
Also Marvel's fault for making a character so important in their films when they really didn't own the rights and it could have gone south at any time.
Which it just did.

So now both sides problems - the MCU has to totally ignore Spidey and all they set up for him and SONY cant follow up plots or use anything from the MCU.

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2019, 04:56:51 AM »
Update on this topic. Apple is considering buying Sony. If Sony is sold then all Marvel characters owned by Sony revert back to Marvel.

I pretty much hate the way Apple does business so I normally wouldn't be a fan of them gaining more control of anything. But in this case I'm rooting for them.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2019, 11:03:12 AM »
Rumor at this point.  Apple analysts state that Apple is interested in spending it's warchest to expand Apple TV+.  There's a bunch of smaller studios that are more affordable to them: A24, MGM, Lions gate and Netflix were also listed, but A24 and MGM would accomplish the goal of a theater company cranking out movies vertically for Apple too. And they'd cost less.

Sony Pictures has been in trouble for a while, but they're still the most profitable part of Sony since they split off from Sony Electronics.

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2019, 05:59:30 PM »
And Sony has now agreed to Disney's terms. Apparently those terms were that Disney would finance 25% of the third Spiderman movie in return for 25% of the profits. Plus Spiderman gets to be used in another Marvel movie.  So Disney is getting more than the 5% of the gross they previously got, but their funding means Sony will have a bigger budget.

HalcyonS

• Boss
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2019, 08:44:28 PM »
I was pretty sure they'd come to an agreement, but glad to see that it happened without to much of a wait.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2019, 12:39:10 PM »
And Sony has now agreed to Disney's terms. Apparently those terms were that Disney would finance 25% of the third Spiderman movie in return for 25% of the profits. Plus Spiderman gets to be used in another Marvel movie.  So Disney is getting more than the 5% of the gross they previously got, but their funding means Sony will have a bigger budget.

That's what I picked up on... So, two movies, and not open ended.  Still room for Apple to be a hero.

(To be fair, Marvel sold movie rights to Fox and Sony in the first place to drum up cash.  This is the consequence of those actions, really... and lacking the foresight of saying "after X years, this contract is void".)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 03:16:51 PM by Tahquitz »