Author Topic: Paragon Chat on Chromebook?  (Read 3771 times)

Thylonicus

• Underling
    • The Rocketeer Flies Again!
Paragon Chat on Chromebook?
« on: January 27, 2020, 11:46:12 PM »
So my computer crashed last year, and I only recently got back on-line via a Chromebook (https://www.cnet.com/reviews/acer-chromebook-15-2017-review/ is the one I have, I believe).  This is the only machine I'll have for the foreseeable future, so I was wondering if there were an easy way to get Paragon Chat to work on it. 

I don't know where else to ask this, and I'm nowhere near nerdy enough to even guess how to approach it.  I just miss flying the friendly skies. :)
Sometimes You Plant Seeds For Trees You Will Never Sit Under

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
Re: Paragon Chat on Chromebook?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 01:16:56 AM »
Not likely.

I replied to this in the Homecoming forums.  Same reasons why Homecoming won't work is the same reason Paragon Chat won't run on it.

The TL;DR version:
Paid over $600 for the Chromebook: Maybe, with a lot of work, but no promises, and I'm not going to dare make a guide on doing it with so many variables at play.  Might be easier to get Windows 10 running on it first if you're that kind of person that says "He said No, so I'mma do this anyway with my Pixelbook Go."  Good luck if you do.)
Paid under $600: Very likely a Strong No.  Especially if it's one of the many, many models that won't run Linux Apps natively like Wine.
Any Chromebook with an ARM processor: Wrong Architecture, COH won't run on it at any price.  (You can find out by installing the Cog app.  If the processor doesn't say Intel or AMD, you're SOL.)
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Thylonicus

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 04:13:55 AM »
...it was the absolute cheapest one available at the time at a hundred and fifty bucks, so--yeah.  I'm just gon'a assume that isn't anywhere near the realm of happening, and deal with it.  I can't help but imagine you busting a gut laughing at the very idea, and frankly I would have, too. :D

Oh, well.  Thank you, anyway. :)

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 07:14:37 PM »
I've been asked so many times it's lost all schadenfreude potential to me.  And if someone did (IMO foolishly) spend $800+ on a Chromebook to put City of Heroes on it (whether as the sole purpose or out of an urge similar to "Eh, why not?") I'm curious to read about how it went.

But yeah, I want to steer folks towards easier solutions if I can.

slickriptide

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 08:20:54 PM »
According to that CNet review, the Chromebook 15 has a Pentium CPU.

Given that, if you feel adventurous and willing to experiment, you can check this out: CrossOver Chrome OS. Please note that I have no first-hand information about this software or how you'd install Paragon Chat with it, nor a Chromebook of my own to experiment with.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2020, 12:54:29 AM »
More catches. It's marketed that Chromebooks can install Android apps, but it's not true across the board. 

Older Chromebooks made before 2015, new "school-grade" ones with cheaper parts meant to be budget-friendly but tougher built, and certain processors (not as clear cut as Intel vs. ARM, but procs with no Virtualization Support) can't touch Android Apps.  The same models are also out of luck concerning Linux Apps.  (They can still install a Linux chroot file system and either run it parallel to Chrome OS or dual boot into it, but it's in Dev Mode and has that annoying beep and 10 second wait each time.)

Fragmentation is just as present in ChromeOS as it is in Android itself.

Thylonicus

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2020, 10:50:35 PM »
For what it's worth, mine can install most Android apps.  I've only very infrequently run into "This app isn't compatible with your device."  That said, I haven't a clue how to go about using Linux and I seem to recall reading that using Dev Mode on this thing was a pain in the heinie-bumper.  I'm a little tech-savvy, but not much.  I don't think I'm a walking PEBKAC error, but I don't think I want to risk fiddling with something I can't replace when I have no real clue what I'm doing. :)