Author Topic: The Good Place  (Read 2175 times)

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
The Good Place
« on: February 29, 2020, 06:20:18 PM »
Is a Good Show.

Somehow they manage to keep it fresh and from going over the edge into boringness or over-the-topness or preachiness or any other bad nesses I can think of atm. Having only a dozenish 20 minute episodes per year probably helps. Having said that, even with having half or even a quarter of the contact with each other than twice as long shows with twice as long seasons must have, when I watched seasons at a time (more than I care to admit!) they just picked right up where they left off and I quickly forgot we were into a whole new season.

I've only seen the first 3/4 seasons and I dunno if there will be a 5th.

It's got (Ted Danson as a regular and some other faces sprinkled in that you'll know,) a fantasy theme, decent tech/effects, and a robot main character, sooooooooooo.... I guess it fits here.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
Re: The Good Place
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 08:09:55 PM »
Fourth season was the last.  It came to a satisfying conclusion and they have no intention on making a sequel series (nor can they, given how it ended).

I usually tell people to watch the first season twice, because it all feels so very different the second time around.

(Also... not a robot.  Not a girl)

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 10:48:15 PM »
Watched the first season.  Enjoyed it.  Was satisfied with the ending.  So completely didn't expect a second season to happen that I pointedly ignored it when it did.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 01:47:28 AM »
Watched the first season.  Enjoyed it.  Was satisfied with the ending.  So completely didn't expect a second season to happen that I pointedly ignored it when it did.

... the first season ended on a cliffhanger.  You were satisfied with that as an ending?

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2020, 06:17:24 AM »
Yes.  The cliffhanger, for my part, plausibly set up a Sisyphean  loop that didn't necessarily need to be developed.  Which I thought was perfect, because it struck me as a quirky little show that likely wouldn't get another season.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2020, 02:43:39 AM »
(Also... not a robot.  Not a girl)

So true. I think if you are a fan of robots you'll like Janet, but, yes, you are totally correct according to the information revealed to me up to this point, and, I think she would thank you for correcting me. Janet plays her part so well that I didn't even notice she was any kind of attractive until ~ the time we get to see Bad Janet. I like Janet.

Yes.  The cliffhanger, for my part, plausibly set up a Sisyphean  loop that didn't necessarily need to be developed.  Which I thought was perfect, because it struck me as a quirky little show that likely wouldn't get another season.

It didn't even cross my mind to let the episodes stop scrolling by from season to season. But, I think I can relate, in that, I had a similar feeling as what you describe in that I was hoping that things wouldn't get boring and routine and ordinary and/or one or more characters becoming... less likable. At one point I thought Tehani was going to start going overboard, but, all in all, I think everyone stayed even keel... kinda like TOS Star Trek, where, it's a team effort kinda thing and the team works because they stick to the formula that works - and there is chemistry.

Anyway, humm. I hope season 4 doesn't ruin anything for me, but, I'm betting it wont. Maybe it will. I'm gonna find out eventually but am in no real hurry. I kept seeing this show scroll by on Netflix lists and wasn't really in the mood for the subject matter at all but then I kinda wanted to see what Ted Danson was up to and then yahoo, what a unexpectedly entertaining gem.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

HalcyonS

• Boss
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2020, 03:27:31 AM »
I loved the series and while I had issues with the ending, I also liked it.