Author Topic: Hate to say this.  (Read 10377 times)

Snow Globe

• Lieutenant
Hate to say this.
« on: July 30, 2008, 06:47:00 PM »
I really hate to say this, but I really hate (actually despise is a better word) the new character profile pages.

Both the character listing and the pages themselves. I much prefer the better layout of the Character list/profile pages that CIT had before it went off-line. I really hated the CGT's profile/character pages which seems to be what the new version is based on. >:(

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
Re: Hate to say this.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 06:50:12 PM »
Well, can't please everyone... However, what is wrong with the basic text list on the user profile?  I mean, it's just a list... what's to hate?

Snow Globe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 07:29:52 PM »
Well, this is good:
http://cit.cohtitan.com/profile/114#list

Though the Faction/Origin/AT icons at the far left seems strange (I look for character first, then server, then faction). So it seems that the icons would be better placed just before or after the level column, not at the far left.

While this:
http://cit.cohtitan.com/profile/114

Hurts the eyes (far too busy). Boxes for the multi-line names are not the uniform with the single line names. I'll assume that there are plans to include a picture with the characters like CGT did.

The character pages themselves:
  • The HUGE picture (where the "old" page had the character summary): EEEEWWW!
  • The lost summary makes me sad, same with the lost portion in the upper right (progress bars for overall and for each section).
  • The ability to choose what displayed in the lower right of the page (instead of having to scroll past the main character info). The "low hanging fruit" list, the "missing" list, the "unverified list.
  • The lost (and hopefully soon returned) ability to see what is missing, verified, and unverified.
  • The missing build section.
  • The list that scrolls the entire page.
Yes, it is a list. A list that reminds me why I don't use the manual entry pages.

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 08:01:05 PM »
Just going to start off saying that the User profile page is still undergoing a lot of work.  The main point of the image-based one that you hate is to show off those uploaded avatars.  There's a lot of issues with that display currently, but it's not going away.

Let me address your Character page points though:

• The HUGE picture (where the "old" page had the character summary): EEEEWWW!

CIT had even bigger pictures there if you put them there, at least in terms of height.  It's one of my favorite parts and it's definitely staying... sorry.

The Low-Hanging Fruit, Missing, and Unverified lists I believe should be a part of the manage sections, not the public profile - and that's where they'll end up when re-introduced.

Individual progress bars will probably make a return soon.

CoHPlanner is all manner of screwed up, and until I get the chance to sort those issues, the build section will be on vacation.  Once I give the Planner some love, with any luck the integration will be a LOT smoother.

I mean other than those things, the profile has all the data that was on the CIT profile page.

I'm sorry you're not a fan of the new character page, but I have to say that overall I'm pretty happy with the way it looks.  Will there be tweaks? I'm 100% sure of it... but in general I think it's pretty solid.

Snow Globe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 11:41:10 PM »
Just going to start off saying that the User profile page is still undergoing a lot of work.  The main point of the image-based one that you hate is to show off those uploaded avatars.  There's a lot of issues with that display currently, but it's not going away.
Can we at least have an account setting to choose which will be the first displayed?

CIT had even bigger pictures there if you put them there, at least in terms of height.  It's one of my favorite parts and it's definitely staying... sorry.
I never used them. Again, can there be an option to not use it?

The Low-Hanging Fruit, Missing, and Unverified lists I believe should be a part of the manage sections, not the public profile - and that's where they'll end up when re-introduced.
The problem is that I avoid the individual character manage sections like the plague.

On the other hand, I used to be able to go to my bookmarked user profile, select a character that I needed info from, found all the info, went back to the public list, and then to another character. All without hitting the manage screen.

I mean other than those things, the profile has all the data that was on the CIT profile page.
Actually it is also currently missing the character bio.

I'm sorry you're not a fan of the new character page, but I have to say that overall I'm pretty happy with the way it looks.  Will there be tweaks? I'm 100% sure of it... but in general I think it's pretty solid.
The reason I am not a fan of it is because it doesn't suit my usage. It can look pretty (and it doesn't) and still not suit the end user.

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 11:49:04 PM »
Yes, one end-user.  If there's a huge outcry over the new profile page, I think redesigning it might have merit.  But if I tweak it to fit each individual player's preference, I'd spend the rest of my life making adjustments.

You don't like it, I get it, and I'm sorry you feel that way.  Feedback noted.

The site is still embryonic, and while I understand comparing it to the style and featureset that the original sites used to have is natural, there's nothing I can do short of do the best I can to continue to build back up (and beyond) what was originally offered.  It's unfortunate it came to this degree of necessity, but it did and that's where it stands.  That said, there's going to be change, and it's impossible to please everyone.

Snow Globe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 03:28:25 AM »
I understand the site/pages are being worked on. I do.

All I'm asking is for some things to be put on a "to do" list, not "they must be done now!"

Though I would question the decision not to include the "low hanging fruit", missing and unverified options in the public profile when those sections are done.

Voltaic Shock

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 10:58:54 AM »
Though I would question the decision not to include the "low hanging fruit", missing and unverified options in the public profile when those sections are done.

I have no problems putting these on the public profile page, but my main question is why would you want everyone to know your "low hanging fruit", missing and unverified badges?
@Voltaic Shock[/b]
TN Admin, CIT Co-Creator, CGT Developer, Obsolete
---------------------------

http://www.motorcyclistsunited.com/  http://www.YourFreeiPhone.com/index.php?ref=5292707

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 12:37:46 PM »
I have no problems putting these on the public profile page, but my main question is why would you want everyone to know your "low hanging fruit", missing and unverified badges?

This was exactly my thought. These features seem more like "manage" type pages, and don't make a lot of sense to be on a public page.

Suzumebachi

• Minion
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 01:16:31 PM »
Actually, can I chip in?  One of the features of the old profiles was I could see by skimming down the badge lists which badges I had and which I still needed by the ticks and crosses on each list.  Because the list was consistent and showed all badges whether they were obtained or not it was easy to compare against the in-game listings.

Where this also really came in handy was the search where I could compare two profiles against each other, say my badger and a friend's and see really easily where I had badges they didn't and vice-versa.

Yes, I can still see my friend's character but I can't easily tell which badges he doesn't have yet and plan some appropriate badging.

Tazhyngarth

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 01:29:42 PM »
...Where this also really came in handy was the search where I could compare two profiles against each other, say my badger and a friend's and see really easily where I had badges they didn't and vice-versa...

The Character Comparison will make it's return, guaranteed.

SaintNicster

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 05:47:57 PM »

Chiming in: We've got nothing to hide?  Badges are supposed to be fun?  Curiosity on what that character who has 585 badges is missing?

I miss the lists on the profile page.  I regularly viewed my own, and occasionally view other people's (say when I was looking up the top 25-50 server.  I don't need to go to a manage badges page, that's what TNT is supposed to be for.  I want a summary for my characters.   The Profile Page gives/gave us this.

Otherwise, the site is shaping up nicely.

Snow Globe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 05:54:29 PM »
It is less of "I want everyone to know" and more of "I don't care if everyone knows". Just like Inf availability from the old CGT site.

I usually stay logged off the site unless I need to fix something specific (TNT/Herostats not verifying a badge right, in one case adding a badge I didn't have) or using TNT/Herostats. Yet I go to the public pages to do a lot of things, as I've said. Searching other characters on the account for the same badge for instance.

To my knowledge, they didn't cause problems before, and they are not causing badge hunter issues (example: http://badge-hunter.com/view_player.php?id=148 bottom or the page, unverified badges are faded when they are there) either.

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 06:15:43 PM »
We're not badge-hunter though... :P

Coolio_Wolfus

• Underling
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 01:21:19 PM »
Bring back the old CGT's Sort option for the text list of characters and carry it over to the non text list.
Current system keeps re-sorting the list back to when the characters were added by the old TNTracker.
I would prefer to sort them by the custom list option so that the list order is permenant, by all means have it as optional, but I found it easier to use than the old CIT's sort options.

Additional, when are you bringing back the forum avatar offline user uploaded overlay option that used to be on the old CIT?

Snow Globe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 04:50:52 PM »
We're not badge-hunter though... :P
Yes, the old public profile pages were a lot easier to read and get all the info from than Badge-Hunter. This will no longer the case if you keep those options off the public profile pages.

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 06:44:40 PM »
I just made some major tweaks to the Character profile, I'd love to get your feedback, Snow Globe.

Edit - That's not to say they're "done", just that I've redone a bunch of it.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 07:04:15 PM by SuckerPunch »

Snow Globe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2008, 04:57:47 AM »
I like the collapsable badge lists, I like that I can see how many unverified badges (and which ones with the toggles).

I think there is a problem with scale (badge lists vs rest of page elements), and that the elements before expanding the badge sections are a bit on the large side.

Anticipated feature: unverified marker on the individual sections.

Overall it was a good improvement.

Jayyde

• Minion
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2008, 04:25:39 PM »
One of the features of the old profiles was I could see by skimming down the badge lists which badges I had and which I still needed by the ticks and crosses on each list.  Because the list was consistent and showed all badges whether they were obtained or not it was easy to compare against the in-game listings.

I do have to 2nd that this was pretty nice and I find myself missing it also.  Personally, and I might be alone here, I find the public page quicker to use to check stuff like that than the edit page.  So it was nice when it would tell me which ones I didn't have also instead of just listing out what I did have.

\m/  (^.^)  \m/

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2008, 07:27:54 PM »
I do have to 2nd that this was pretty nice and I find myself missing it also.  Personally, and I might be alone here, I find the public page quicker to use to check stuff like that than the edit page.  So it was nice when it would tell me which ones I didn't have also instead of just listing out what I did have.

I just pushed an "In-Game Report" page to the site, which can be found on the public character profile, as well as the management pages. 

This list should display badges in the order they show up in-game, and denote whether you've obtained this badge or not.

I made it a separate page to try and keep the overall profile clean.

Jayyde

• Minion
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2008, 12:07:52 AM »
This list should display badges in the order they show up in-game
This part is sadly not working for me.  Not sure what order they're in.  It's not in-game order and it's not any type of alphabetic order that I can see and it's not by the settitle number either.

Quote from: SuckerPunch
and denote whether you've obtained this badge or not.
This part is though -- yay!  :)

\m/  (^.^)  \m/

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2008, 12:28:06 AM »
Oops!  Fixed the sorting  :-X

Jayyde

• Minion
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2008, 02:37:28 AM »