Author Topic: Can't Open Mids'  (Read 13472 times)

bringer4

• Underling
Can't Open Mids'
« on: August 23, 2008, 07:52:46 PM »
"MHDloader.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

It says this everytime i click on it. I have tried reinstalling Mids' many times, as well as the .Net loader it says i need to open it. Anyway to fix this? I really want to make builds  :(

Mids

• Elite Boss
Re: Can't Open Mids'
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 08:15:57 PM »
Hmm, could you provide a little more information to help work out what's up?

What version of Windows are you running?
Which folder is the programme installed to?
Which version(s) of the .Net Framework are installed on the machine?

...and anything else you can think of which i've probably forgotten to ask. :P
Give me Fire.
Give me Information.

bringer4

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 08:25:32 PM »
What version of Windows are you running? XP

Which folder is the programme installed to? "C:\Mids' Hero Designer\"

Which version(s) of the .Net Framework are installed on the machine? 2.0

Can't think of anything else, it used to run awhile back before the epic archtypes for vills

Mids

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 08:36:37 PM »
Try running "Hero Designer.exe" in the program folder and see if that works or not.
Give me Fire.
Give me Information.

bringer4

• Underling
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 08:43:16 PM »
hmmm don't see that, all that is in the folder is, save, banner.jpg, disclamier, mhd.mhz, MHDLoader.exe, Readme, and Zlib1.dll

Mids

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 09:18:52 PM »
Ah! ...and oh.

It's not managed to decompress the main package yet, so that'd be why the file I suggested wasn't there.
Try uninstalling from add/remove programs, manually delete the folder if it stays, and then re-install it into a folder with no apostrophe (so c:\MHD\ or the like). That's rather clutching at straws, I admit. It shouldn't be crashing out like that.

Is it XP sp2 or sp3?

If you have HeroStats or the Titan Network Tracker, do they run without crashing?

Are you logged in as an administrator?
Give me Fire.
Give me Information.

bringer4

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 09:20:22 PM »
Ah! ...and oh.

It's not managed to decompress the main package yet, so that'd be why the file I suggested wasn't there.
Try uninstalling from add/remove programs, manually delete the folder if it stays, and then re-install it into a folder with no apostrophe (so c:\MHD\ or the like). That's rather clutching at straws, I admit. It shouldn't be crashing out like that.

Is it XP sp2 or sp3?

If you have HeroStats or the Titan Network Tracker, do they run without crashing?

Are you logged in as an administrator?
ill try that, and i believe its sp3, i dont have hero stats and yes i am logged in as an admin

Mids

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 09:27:16 PM »
It might be worth installing something like HeroStats, which also uses the .Net framework, to check that it's all working as it should be.
Give me Fire.
Give me Information.

bringer4

• Underling
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 09:27:23 PM »
I tried what you said before, and nothing diffrent happened

bringer4

• Underling
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 09:32:05 PM »
I just downloaded hero stats and i basicly got the same problem, and the same exact message, so im guessing its my .net, what should i do for that?

Mids

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 09:44:05 PM »
Yeah, it does sound as though there's an issue with the .Net Framework there...

Usually i'd say try uninstalling the "Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0" from Add/Remove Programs in control panel, and then re-installing it, but if you've already done that, i'm not sure what else to suggest. :-\
Give me Fire.
Give me Information.

bringer4

• Underling
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2008, 09:48:03 PM »
Alright then thanks for your help, i tried turning off my fire wall and installing it but it didn't change anything.

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2008, 09:49:27 PM »
Download this:  http://www.cohplanner.com/mids/backup/mids.rar

Extract it somewhere, and then run the Hero Designer.exe file.  That should work, as it's just a zipped up copy of what I have in my Program Files.

bringer4

• Underling
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2008, 10:09:11 PM »
how would i extract it lol i downloaded it and don't know how lol. Also i saw theres a .net 3.5 so i am downloading that to see if it works with that

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 10:55:37 PM »
Oh, sorry, I always forget to set it to ZIP instead of RAR... I'm just used to RAR as most people tend to have it these days :P

Here's the ZIP format instead:  http://www.cohplanner.com/mids/backup/mids.zip

bringer4

• Underling
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2008, 05:21:12 PM »
I tried useing yours but nothing worked, i tried downloading .net 3.0 and 3.5 but it never works it just stops with the bar full never installing it.....

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2008, 05:30:12 PM »
You don't have to "install" anything for mine. Just unzip the file, open the directory it unzipped, and run the file.

If you did that and it doesn't work, your computer is broken :P

bringer4

• Underling
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2008, 05:45:52 PM »
lol thats what i figure

kineel

• Underling
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2008, 05:58:17 PM »
Actually I tried your .zip file and that solves a problem I have with your installer. I just reported this bug today in fact.

Basically if I use your installer and change the default folder or the default disk drive where Mids installs, I get the same error the OP pointed to. If I unzip your "pre-installed" version to my other disk drive, the program runs fine.

So the bug is: If you use the standard installer (setup.exe) and change the directory that the program installs to, it will not launch. Somewhere your code has it hardcoded to the original default directory: "C:\Mids' Hero Designer" and changing that causes a fatal problem.

Perhaps you should just distribute the zip file until you can sort out what the installer is doing wrong. I've heard other people online say they can't use Mid's for this same reason.

Given that installing programs directly to the root directory of the system drive (C:\) is a security risk, I'd recommend that you change the installer to install to "C:\Program Files\Mid's Heror Designer". You should also change the Save directory to the users home directory. This changes with Vista so you want to do some reading up on Microsoft's official forums.

At any rate, to the original poster, the problem does exist. Try installing the program to the default directory and see if that fixes it.

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2008, 06:03:04 PM »
I can't agree with that.  I changed the default path to be C:\Program Files\Mids' Hero Designer, and it worked fine.   That's where the zip file that is in this thread came from.

Mids

• Elite Boss
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2008, 06:08:18 PM »
That sounds like the Windows Vista issue where the OS denies access to the program folder.
Give me Fire.
Give me Information.

kineel

• Underling
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2008, 06:15:21 PM »
Which OS are you running? Did you do a clean install or was the program previously installed. I think some component is not installed if you change the directory or drive. Or perhaps only if you change the drive.

All I can tell you is that I installed it several times changing the install location to my D: drive and it failed to run each and every time. I installed it to the default location and it ran fine. I uninstalled it and put the version you have zipped and posted here on my D: drive and it runs fine from there. So something is amiss with the installer.

Disagree with me and the others if you wish. But be aware that the others who are disagreeing are simply not using the program and not coming here to point out why they are not running it. Many people are not like me, and they won't go to the trouble of figuring out why your program doesn't work. They just believe it is a broken program. I know, because when I asked online about the issue several people said "Mid's doesn't work for me either." While some said "Runs for me". I figured it must be something about the installer and figured out what the problem is. That's my obligation as a interested user. You may decide your own obligation as you wish.

'nuff said.

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2008, 06:21:43 PM »
My point is, that what you stated as definitively being the cause - isn't.  I very much believe that you and others are experiencing issues, but to lay a blanket cause down is inaccurate.

Mids

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2008, 07:44:52 PM »
You should also change the Save directory to the users home directory. This changes with Vista so you want to do some reading up on Microsoft's official forums.
You honestly wouldn't believe just how much reading up i've done on Windows Vista. :P

I am currently aware of issues with Windows Vista not allowing the program to decompress its files (which is used in auto update and the first time you launch it after installing). I'm looking into possible solutions to this.

I do know exactly what is going wrong in instances where install seems to be incomplete under Vista.

At present, the solution is for the user to modify the program's shortcut to let it run as an administrator.

I'm also aware that the save folder wants moving to the user's home folder, and it will be at some point in the future.

As far as I know, neither of these issues affect Windows XP.

I'd also like to add that it's not SuckerPunch's installer, so the blame for any issues relating to its performance lies with me. - If it were his, it might work better. ;)
Give me Fire.
Give me Information.

Kosmos56

• Underling
Can't Open Mids'
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2009, 09:55:56 PM »
Having the same issue as well with the Hero Planner not opening. I get through the install just fine but when I execute the ...well...executable, it hangs and gives me a generic error.

Using the i13 version of the program.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling .Net framework (up to 3.5 now)
I am running on Windows XP, and tried it in every compatibility mode available.
Could it be a conflict with other programs? Any help would be most appreciated since the program is very well done and extremely useful to me.

Catharctic

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2009, 10:36:23 PM »
Kosmos56,

Are you running it using the MHDLoader.exe?

If you are using any other .exe, that would be your problem.

It's a pretty common mistake, so don't feel bad if that's the issue. If you are using MHDLoader.exe to run it, my expertise and bug resolution just ran out with this post.  :P

Kosmos56

• Underling
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2009, 01:59:44 AM »
Thank you for the reply Cath :). Yes, I have tried to open the program using MHDLoader.exe, both from Suckerpunch's link and from the program downloaded from cohplanner.com. I am 90% positive that I have used this program a few Issues back(when the salvage and markets came out) but for some reason can't get this one to work. hmm.... maybe if I get my hands on a older version and see if that works. But again, thank you for trying to help me :)

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2009, 02:12:26 AM »
I can offer hands-on support if you'd like, let me know if you want to set that up.

I use GoToAssistExpress.
~Steinerd

Kosmos56

• Underling
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2009, 12:13:35 AM »
Did a format HD and a window installation and seems to work fine. My comp needed a fresh start anyways:) Thank you everyone that tried to help with my trouble. You are true gentlemen and ladies indeed:)