Author Topic: Manual changes to use 60 month Vet Reward  (Read 7039 times)

Tog

• Lieutenant
    • Tog's Hero U
Manual changes to use 60 month Vet Reward
« on: May 28, 2009, 08:38:39 AM »
This isn't a question about it, it's a how to.

First the disclaimer.  This is not difficult to do, but YOU WILL BE DIGGING AROUND IN THE BRAIN OF THE PLANNER.  If this scares you, then wait for the update.

For those willing to risk it, you can't hurt your saved builds, and you can always re-download the planner to fix anything that goes horribly wrong, so...  Lock up the cat and the children and duck in.

Step 1- Go to the OPTIONS tab and mouse over the word ADVANCED.  This will pop out a little menu with DATABASE EDITOR and the thing we don't want.

Step 2- Click the button marked MAIN DATABASE EDITOR.  You have now sawed of the skull.  What you see before is the exposed brain of the Designer.   On the left side is a list of archetype sets.  Look for POOL.  Click it.

Step 3- The middle column will now list the pool sets, with the individual powers in the right column.  Go to the FLIGHT pool in the middle column, then select FLY from the right one.  At the bottom of the right column is an innocent little button marked EDIT.  Take a deep breath and click it.

Step 4- We are now going to re-wire the brain.  What you see before you are nine tabs that work together to tell the Designer what "Fly" does.  We need to tweak two of them.  Select the Second one from the left, POWER ATTRIBUTES.  The left side of this window has a bunch of words and some boxes with numbers in them.  The only one we care about, (and are not afraid of at the moment) is the top one.  It says "Level Available" with 14 in the box.  Change that 14 to a 6.

Step 5- Now move to the scary tab:  REQUIREMENTS.  This is where we set the prerequisites for a power.  Since we are editing Fly, we can see both "pool.flight.combat_flight" and "pool.flight.air_superiority" in the Power A side of the Required Powers box.  Select either one.

Step 6- At the bottom of the middle of this window are Buttons Labeled "Copy" and "Paste".  Leave them alone.  Just above and to the right is one marked "Reset".  Just above that is one marked "Remove Selected".  Clicking this button will cause the prerequisite power highlighted above to go away to live on a farm somewhere.  With ducks.  Repeat this for the other Prerequisite power..

Step 7- Click the OKAY button on the lower right.  This takes you back out to the main screen where you can select the next pool to change.  Repeat for each of the remaining three travel pools.

Step 8- After hitting that last OKAY button for the last time, you should be back at the screen that opened in Step 2.  The main power selection screen.  At the bottom right is a button marked "SAVE AND CLOSE"  Almost predictably, this will save the changes you've made and close the editor.  This is the last chance to change your mind.  Don't be a wuss.  Click it!  CLICK IT NOW!  Or you can click the Cancel and Discard button and all changes you've made will be washed away.

Step 9- Either way, you are now back at the screen from Step 1.  The only thing to do at this point is click CLOSE to exit the editor.

Step 10-  I'm not sure if this is actually required or not, but it certainly can't hurt.  Close the Designer and re-open it to be sure the changes have taken effect.  If they have, you will see all travel powers you changed become available at level 6 with no "redding out" of the prerequisite powers.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 03:32:22 PM by SaintNicster »

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
Re: Manual changes to use 60 month Vet Reward
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 12:33:15 PM »
Very Nice!

~Steinerd

Catharctic

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 03:25:33 PM »
Hackers

Shorts

• Minion
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 06:47:06 PM »
You say it like it's a bad thing.  :-\
Excreta ergo sum.

Catharctic

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 08:20:42 PM »
You say it like it's a bad thing.  :-\

No, no. Just stating fact.  ;)

FlameBlade

• Underling
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 12:02:23 PM »
Doh! I was just sitting and playing with a new build for my mastermind and grumbling about this exact thing. It didn't even occur to me to edit the database manually...

I need a vacation, no wait.. I just had one :(

Edit: Whenever I start the hero designer after this change, this message pops up:

If I click Yes, the database is corrupted and I have to reinstall (fortunately I made a backup ;) )

FYI
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 12:27:26 PM by FlameBlade »

Tog

• Lieutenant
    • Tog's Hero U
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 02:45:12 PM »
My guess is that you are running the new Alpha that Steiner posted.

I'm still running version 1.401 which was the one for issue 13 dated Dec 2, 2008.  This is only a guess, as my computer programming training ended in 1987 with the Apple IIe.

Tazhyngarth

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 03:21:04 PM »
I'm looking at the Version # - 1,4007 (23-07-0008)

That's all wrong.....perhaps it's got something to do with it?

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 04:13:23 PM »
Yea, because that update info on the alpha is bouncing off the cohplanner.com domain not the actual mids update locations, and the version xml we're using on cohplanner.com is obviously wrong.

It was a sad attempt to just send out database updates, which Mids got rid of right before he released the code to me... but I do have a few ideas that might bring it back, well some form of it... even though his reasons for getting rid of it were sound (Vista UAC coupled with the fact some computers security settings won't let untrusted applications alter files).
~Steinerd

Coolio_Wolfus

• Underling
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 07:29:24 PM »

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 10:52:47 PM »
Vista UAC can be gotten around with a small free Norton labs prog...
UAC Tool
(Note: link to labs site not to the download, for people to read and decide for themselves.)
Spiffy, and interesting. However this is definitely something the individual user will have decide on and will not be packaged with Mids.

Good catch though... I see a lot of security conscious people utilizing a tool like this to bypass the annoyance of the UAC... however Win7 has made it slightly more tolerable.
~Steinerd

Fleeting Whisper

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 08:46:12 AM »
Good catch though... I see a lot of security conscious people utilizing a tool like this to bypass the annoyance of the UAC... however Win7 has made it slightly more tolerable.
>.>
<.<

I turned UAC off...  :o

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 01:44:28 PM »
Well, you're a power-user... you know the risks and how to prevent them.

The casual user isn't going to want to just turn off forms of OS-integrated protection willy-nilly like us code monkeys lol.

~Steinerd