Author Topic: Track Salvage and Recipes  (Read 7563 times)

Dyffwd

• Minion
Track Salvage and Recipes
« on: May 31, 2009, 11:33:55 PM »
This could go in Glycerin or CIT, I put it here.  Move it if you like.

I would very much like to see what salvage is on which character, and for that matter which recipes.  I'd love to have one central repository of this information rather than have to try and remember, or make a manual list and miss updating it when I use/sell/buy something.

Thanks!

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
Re: Track Salvage and Recipes
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 12:03:05 AM »
It would be a local repository... meaning files would be on your machine, not on Titan. And this would also take a good amount of time to create.
~Steinerd

Dyffwd

• Minion
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 01:10:32 AM »
ahh, I was hoping for something searchable, kind of how the badges are currently.  Find a piece of salvage and "Show me characters with this salvage."

I figured it would take a fair amount of time and effort to create.  I know it would my MY crafting a lot easier, and at least two other people in Repeat Offenders global were very interested.

rpgfiend

• Underling
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 01:20:32 AM »
It would be a local repository... meaning files would be on your machine, not on Titan. And this would also take a good amount of time to create.

We have a community of plenty of skilled people! :) Unfortunately I'm not a programmer but we definitely need a way of tracking salvage. I created a spreadsheet that I manually update, BLEH!

CoX Magelo! :D

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 01:37:45 AM »
Well. tracking salvage via Glycerine or HS would be a "as you go" thing, meaning it would only grab the salvage that was dropped while the applications in on. You can't just click on them like you could with the badges.

Idk, I made a like script for IOs on my SG site, didn't get used... but I know it's possible as long as you don't mind a little leg-work, lol.

I'll put it on my list.
~Steinerd

SaintNicster

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 01:42:16 AM »
This could go in Glycerin or CIT, I put it here.  Move it if you like.

I would very much like to see what salvage is on which character, and for that matter which recipes.  I'd love to have one central repository of this information rather than have to try and remember, or make a manual list and miss updating it when I use/sell/buy something.

Thanks!
This one is far too complex for us to even begin to implement anytime in the near future.

There is a spreadsheet out there released to the city community that aids in manually tracking this and the Field Crafter progress.  Hit up this page and click on the "Invention Origin Memorization Tracker (Excel)" at the bottom.

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 01:45:51 AM »
This one is far too complex for us to even begin to implement anytime in the near future.

There is a spreadsheet out there released to the city community that aids in manually tracking this and the Field Crafter progress.  Hit up this page and click on the "Invention Origin Memorization Tracker (Excel)" at the bottom.
Agreed, this would literally have to wait until there is nothing left to fix/add on Titan before it's even outlined. Though I would love to see this sooner than later, it an obvious later.
~Steinerd

Dyffwd

• Minion
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 03:16:07 AM »
Agreed, this would literally have to wait until there is nothing left to fix/add on Titan before it's even outlined. Though I would love to see this sooner than later, it an obvious later.
As long as you guys can see the value in it.  I guess I'll just have to be content with "when we can".

And who knows? One of you guys may wake up in the middle of the night with an epiphany and crank out the code for it in 5 hours or less.

katsumil@gmail.com

• Underling
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 11:46:48 PM »
Oh the value is easy to see, espcially for anyone who has multiple characters. But I understand too what Steiner and the devs woudl have to go through to make this work. here's a small rundown.

-Parse 'you got' messages to add salvage to the file
-Parse 'you have sold' messages for sold salvage
-Store salvage on the local machine for each character.

Those are the simple easy ones. It gets more difficult when you have to figure out the following

-Is salvage being transferred to the storage vault, a salvage rack, or the wentworths (cause some use WW as holding space)
-If a peice of salvage is sold, was it sold from standing inventory, or off WW
-If an Enhancement was received, was it a drop, a gift, or made from salvage.
-If it was made from salvage, what peices of salvage were used (since the same recipe will have different ingredients depending on it's level, which isn't displayed when you get the notification)

I agree that it's not impossible, but the sheer amount of logical cross checks that woudl have to be run almost to make it sound like a seperate program, also if you want it to be able to track multiple chars, even offline ones, which woudl absolutely necessitate local storage, not online storage. But then the concept of shared SG salvage woudl really throw a monkey wrench in the works. But again, great idea, but logistically a nightmare (after all, if such a thing were simple, there is a chance it would be in the game already)

But hey, ideas breed ideas, and some ideas bear a change to reality.

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 02:19:04 AM »
Yea, there will still be a lot of manual work on the user's end. As a matter of principle there is a good chance that the system will be released as fully manual and then we'll see if we can try to get the apps to work with it, kind of like CIT's life and middle-age crisis.

I mean, centralizing the data in one place (titan) and safe from local machine errors... not to mention we will of course provide export and import tools, because even though said data would be save from local machine errors, they're not safe from me. LOL!

I would ask our users to keep this an open discussion. Enough good ideas come in there might just be enough cause to get it going sooner than later.
~Steinerd

Dark Horizon

• Minion
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 09:13:16 PM »
I can see why it would be difficult.  Things like salvage and recipes (and to a lesser extent, enhancements) are fluid things that can change from session to session.  Badges, however, are effectively permanent; you add to the total, but none ever "go away".

Adding tracking functionality would be a real boon to disorganised persons like myself, who never even thought of tracking it manually by spreadsheet.  If you see one of my toons popping off and on, I'm not having connection problems, I'm trying to figure out which toon has the x salvage. 

However...I don't see how you could track all this.  In addition to carrying salvage (and various types of salvage, not just invention) on their person, most toons also have salvage in a vault, and some may even secrete items in an SG salvage bin (guilty, especially if the SG has few active players and I can trust the ones I know to be on not to snatch my "donations").  And tracking just the invention salvage in personal inventory wouldn't be as useful as knowing what's also in storage somewhere.

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 09:43:44 PM »
However...I don't see how you could track all this.  In addition to carrying salvage (and various types of salvage, not just invention) on their person, most toons also have salvage in a vault, and some may even secrete items in an SG salvage bin (guilty, especially if the SG has few active players and I can trust the ones I know to be on not to snatch my "donations").  And tracking just the invention salvage in personal inventory wouldn't be as useful as knowing what's also in storage somewhere.

Yea, that would be the manual half... we can only automate so much... But it would still be nice for users to have something they can check to see if they have what they need on a different character.
~Steinerd

Dyffwd

• Minion
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 06:32:28 PM »
I'd set it so that it it goes into SG Salvage it's gone.

So the only thing you'd have to track is what's on the character, whats in WW, and what's in your Personal Invention Storage.

Still a daunting task, I know.

SaintNicster

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 06:52:49 PM »
I'd set it so that it it goes into SG Salvage it's gone.

So the only thing you'd have to track is what's on the character, whats in WW, and what's in your Personal Invention Storage.

Still a daunting task, I know.

It's just not possible with the tools and resources we have now, and (pessimistically) I don't think we ever will have them.

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 08:08:28 PM »
It's just not possible with the tools and resources we have now, and (pessimistically) I don't think we ever will have them.
I would have to honestly have to agree with this, though it does feel I lead on that this was doable... I have looked into the possibilities and came to the same conclusion Nicster has come to.

If the opportunity presents itself and these reasons change, we will be sure to notify via this thread that we're moving forward with this idea. However, until then, we stand by the decisions we've made.

[Locked Topic to discontinue discussion]
~Steinerd