Author Topic: Invention Cheatsheet  (Read 7309 times)

Lin Chiao Feng

• Underling
Invention Cheatsheet
« on: July 04, 2009, 04:54:33 AM »
Noticed the Invention Cheatsheet page a month back and liked it.  Decided to add quantities to the salvage items, since I kept forgetting what needed 2 of something, loaded up the page source... yeah. -_-

I made the ISalvage templates so folks like Atiaxi wouldn't have to type everything out and hunt down all the icons.  Darn it.

Well, it was complaining the page was 32 kB, so I started replacing the hard-coded stuff with template calls and it went down.  Created a new ISalvageRaw template for those times you don't need a quantity, such as the row headings.  Just got done with the search-and-replace and the page is 10 kB smaller.

Items for improvement:
* Lots of this could be done with a couple more templates and some DPL magic.  Not tonight.  >_<
* It would be nice if the stylesheet had an addition:
Code: [Select]
table.wikitable th.left {
    text-align: left;
}
Then I could use:
! class=left | instead of:
! style="text-align: left;" | on all the row headings.

----

Noticed you guys moved again.  The new digs are... really green.  Is it going to stay that way?

Anyway, now that my MSE is out of the way, and since TR got axed, I'm back to playing CoX.  I see eabrace and Sekoia are still churning stuff here, so it's like I never left.  ^_^

But the Formatting and Standardization forum ... empty?  That cannot be allowed to stand!

P.S. the forum "code" style is really really small on my monitor.
A Mad Scientist discovers That Which Man Was Not Meant To Know.
A Mad Engineer creates That Which Man Was Not Meant To Have.
It's a subtle, but important, distinction: pure vs. applied insanity.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
Re: Invention Cheatsheet
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 07:15:39 AM »
Welcome back!

I thought a saw a feral Lin Chiao Feng in the Recent Changes tonight.   :D

The Cheatsheet's looking more maintainable that way.  I like it.  :)

Yeah, that whole move thing... suffice to say there were things (like the changes to the ad policy) at the old site just weren't working out for us.  It got a little messy, but we got out and managed to retain the paragonwiki.com domain name, so in the end it's all good and we learned some valuable lessons.

There's been some admin/moderator discussion about changing the look of the Titan forums recently.  Color palette is one of the things being discussed.  No timeline on when any changes may or may not occur given that there are a lot of projects currently under way and not a large number of people to work on all of them.

The last post in Formatting and Standardization before we moved the forums over to Titan was on June 19, so it's been a couple of weeks since we've had any formatting discussions.  Guess we were about overdue for something, weren't we.  :)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 07:21:06 AM »
Good to have you back. :D

Lin Chiao Feng

• Underling
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 12:32:29 PM »
Yeah, that whole move thing... suffice to say there were things (like the changes to the ad policy) at the old site just weren't working out for us.  It got a little messy, but we got out and managed to retain the paragonwiki.com domain name, so in the end it's all good and we learned some valuable lessons.

Always the hidden demons...

As for colors... Personally, I'd like the colors to be more in line withthe official CoH site colors, but I wonder if that's a no-no?

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 01:22:49 PM »
I tried my hand at a DPL version. I couldn't match formatting exactly, though.

http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/User:Sekoia/Sandbox/Invention_Cheatsheet

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 01:26:54 PM »
Always the hidden demons...

As for colors... Personally, I'd like the colors to be more in line withthe official CoH site colors, but I wonder if that's a no-no?
Are you referencing the forum colors?
~Steinerd

Lin Chiao Feng

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 09:28:06 PM »
I tried my hand at a DPL version. I couldn't match formatting exactly, though.

http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/User:Sekoia/Sandbox/Invention_Cheatsheet

So, you can't filter the DPL results by a string match on the third parameter of ISalvage?  You had to make the high/med/low stuff?  Ugh.

I liked the table cells setup of the original better than the bullet-separated lists that you've got.  If you could just feed DPL's output to a template to put the cell formatting in (and thus take care of colspanning the last cell)...

Are you referencing the forum colors?

Yes.  I personally prefer the wiki's palette.

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 09:37:20 PM »
I couldn't find an easy way to filter against included section contents, nope. You don't even get each one individually; you get them all as a lump and can't really split them up any that I could figure. Kind of frustrating!

I'll take a look at it a bit more later though and see if I can figure out anything better once it's had a chance to simmer in the back of my head some. ;)

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 10:12:37 PM »
Yes.  I personally prefer the wiki's palette.

:'(

Titan has always been green... I have an idea though, that might make you chuckle. Give me a few days to see if it can be done, lol.
~Steinerd

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 05:37:25 AM »
I managed to get the Salvage to Invention tables to render about how they were in the original, so once I clean up my series of template calls that can get copied over into namespace if nobody sees any problems with it. I did notice, however, that the existing Cheat Sheet looks like it's not up to date. Either that, or the data that the DPL queries are pulling off of are all out of data.

I'm still mulling over the Invention to Salvage tables. I think there may be a better way to do it using a series of nested DPL queries that might give the same look as in the current article. I just want to give it a bit more thought before trying to make it work, since it's a tad convoluted. :)

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 11:26:17 AM »
Hey, welcome back!  We kept a chair empty for you right over there, so feel free to make yourself right at home again!