Author Topic:  (Read 3946 times)

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« on: July 08, 2009, 08:52:58 PM »
This actually started as a reply in another thread...

It should be no surprise that I haven't been doing anything remotely related to City of Heroes or even the wiki for over two months. I'm sorry! I'll just use the convenient "real life" excuse and you'll leave me alone, right!?

Actually, you can for really truly blame it on life. The past three months of living here have felt temporary, and a new occurence this week proves that it really is. Ooooon the other hand, the living situation has given me enough time to get my income and outgo in order (that is to say, the one before the other), which means that where I go at the beginning of next month is my decision. Life is finally going to get started back up soon!

In other news...

My brain for some reason is able to work overtime while I'm mostly-asleep, and every time I can, I use it to my advantage to think some things through before I wake up... Like, if I have a tune stuck in my head and start hearing all the various instrumental tracks all at once like you would hearing it through speakers, I know dreamland isn't far away. The same thing works for logic. I can keep track of sooooo many details all at once when my brain isn't caught up in the trivial things like standing upright or deciding when to go to the bathroom...

Such was the case today, when I woke up with a strong urge to play my long-deleted Henchman-less Mastermind. Unlike most of my deleted characters, Bob the Biohazard wasn't dumped because it wasn't fun to play. Unsurprisingly, it was dumped because it was hard to play. And slow solo. Plus, at the time, news was going around that Bile Spray would be removed from the Mastermind Leviathan Mastery, which was actually one of the bigger things I was looking forward to on the character. Can't have Bob the Biohazard without Bile Spray! And such I decided this morning. Even if Castle does eventually decide to proliferate Poison to Corruptors along with the upcoming Dual Pistols, I can't do it! Corruptors do not get Bile Spray! I must reactivate my account and start Bob the Biohazard anew!

My overpowered sleepy brain realized that the reason I liked the character so much is because playing Poison as a Corruptor instead of as a Mastermind is completely unlike any of the other buff sets in the game. It's arguably less effective than Radiation Emission for all intents and purposes (and was likely intended as a mechanical replacement for Rad), but it's so intriguing... What with strong, single-target debuffs, one heck of a nasty cone debuff, an amazing ally heal, a general-purpose single-target hold... The set is incredible. It's not Rad; it's something else with all the juicy debuffitude of Rad.

Again, sleepy brain took into account how the game's community tends to flow, and that having a Pistols Mastermind after Dual Pistols Corruptors come out will be seen as a sort of unusual, pointless endeavor. On the other hand, when the other Pistols players see the grandeur of Poison, as long as I do it right, Bob the Biohazard will stand out and hopefully all by itself get Poison to become a bit more popular, as it's generally overlooked in favor of Radiation Emission.

And my brain thought this through after two months of being completely unexposed to anything City of Heroes. It just all came back at once.

Anyhow, money's likely to be a bit tight for this month, as I'll be running up a new lease that doesn't have anyone else's name on it... and it's tight enough that I'm not completely sure I want to go through with a measely $15 purchase to NCsoft to get my game account up and running again. If anyone cares to purchase me one month's game time, that'd be great! If anyone wants to donate to the general Guy Perfect fund, that'd also be great!

If no one wants to spend money on me, that's perfectly fine, too. It's just an afterthought to the whole Mastermind rant. (-:

Tazhyngarth

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 08:34:13 PM »
Glad things are turning up, even though it'll be tight for a while, at least it'll be better in the long run.

I can't afford my own account let alone anyone elses...sorry.

Lin Chiao Feng

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 04:47:04 AM »
It should be no surprise that I haven't been doing anything remotely related to City of Heroes or even the wiki for over two months. I'm sorry! I'll just use the convenient "real life" excuse and you'll leave me alone, right!?

Sure, I'll see your two months and raise you a year and change.  I was off playing Tabula Rasa, and finished my MSE after that died.  Real Life is the Ultimate Aggro.  ^_^

And grats to you for doing the dual pistols back when it wasn't balanced.  A little off topic: if they're finally making a DP powerset, I guarantee you that there will be a "Teana Lanster" (or some similar name) character on every server at some point, if not already.  And it won't be my fault this time... I think.
A Mad Scientist discovers That Which Man Was Not Meant To Know.
A Mad Engineer creates That Which Man Was Not Meant To Have.
It's a subtle, but important, distinction: pure vs. applied insanity.

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 06:44:28 AM »
Wait, the pistols got rebalanced at some point during the last year?

Lin Chiao Feng

• Underling
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 08:10:36 AM »
Wait, the pistols got rebalanced at some point during the last year?

Umm, no.  I meant that an actual Dual Pistols set would be balanced, as opposed to a not-really-a-Mastermind build.
A Mad Scientist discovers That Which Man Was Not Meant To Know.
A Mad Engineer creates That Which Man Was Not Meant To Have.
It's a subtle, but important, distinction: pure vs. applied insanity.