Author Topic: Hi. I'm new here.  (Read 5273 times)

Dechs Kaison

• Underling
Hi. I'm new here.
« on: July 29, 2009, 05:29:38 PM »
Hey everyone, I'm the new guy (for now)!  Just call me Dechs.  I've played CoH on and off since the beginning but I've only recently discovered ParagonWiki and the Ouroboros Portal.

So uh, what do I do now?

Nah, I got that part.  I started adding a page about my main villain.  I've got a table of contents and some section headings... I've thought about the character's story before, but now that I try to write it out... It's a little more jumbled than I'd like.  This could take me a while.

I'm completely new to wiki editing, but I'm catching on fast.  I have a few questions.

1. How do I tag my page with categories?

2.  I put in a table of contents, but had to put it on the right so my text didn't go around it.  I'd like to have it on the left, but have my text start beneath it.  How do I do this?

Thanks!

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
Re: Hi. I'm new here.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 05:35:06 PM »
Welcome to the Ouroboros Portal!  Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong :) but I think this should help out:

1. How do I tag my page with categories?

2.  I put in a table of contents, but had to put it on the right so my text didn't go around it.  I'd like to have it on the left, but have my text start beneath it.  How do I do this?
1. At the bottom, put the text [[Category: category_name]].  For example, [[Category: Defenders]].  You can tag a page with multiple categories if you want.

2. Actually, if you do nothing, when you exceed a certain number of headings, it will add it for you automagically.  If you do want to force the table of contents to show up and/or be in a certain place, just type a line that says:
__TOC__

(That's two underscores, the letters TOC, and two more underscores.)  It is left-aligned by default, with your text not wrapping around it.

Hope this helps, and welcome again to the Portal!
--TonyV

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
Re: Hi. I'm new here.
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 05:53:18 PM »
You can tag a page with multiple categories if you want.

Just to clarify a bit, multiple categories require multiple tags.

Correct:
Code: [Select]
[[Category: Defenders]]
[[Category: Justice Heroes]]

Incorrect:
Code: [Select]
[[Category: Defenders|Justice Heroes]]
Now, you will sometimes see category tags that look similar to that second example.  Those actually specify sorting order on the Category page.  That's a more advanced (and less commonly used) feature, so I wouldn't worry about that right now.  :)

Welcome to the O-Portal!
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov