Author Topic: AT Infobox Development  (Read 7791 times)

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
AT Infobox Development
« on: August 04, 2009, 06:09:50 PM »
Based on discussions that started in a previous thread, I'm splitting the idea of Infoboxes for the ATs into a separate thread.

So far, I've dinked around a bit with some ideas in my user space that can be seen here.  The infobox is still intentionally bigger than I want it to be in the end, but here's what's changed recently:
  • collapsed the separate Melee and Ranged lines into single Melee/Ranged lines
  • added a spot at the top for the inherent
  • added limits info
Things I haven't added yet that I want to work in:
  • number of Primary/Secondary/Ancillary sets available
  • more links to clarify what each of the numbers mean
  • pare down list of values to prevent info overload
Things I'm not sure about just yet (and why):
  • adding hero/villain indication - might be pointless once Going Rogue mechanics are introduced
  • adding an "Epic AT" indicator - not sure what/how that indicator might be manifested
  • hiding/collapsing categories of numbers - might be some mechanical issues with that
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
Re: AT Infobox Development
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 07:47:12 PM »
  • adding hero/villain indication - might be pointless once Going Rogue mechanics are introduced
This should probably be implemented because from all current knowledge on the subject, you can't start out as a villainous Blaster, etc. Further info is necessary before finalizing that, though.

• adding an "Epic AT" indicator - not sure what/how that indicator might be manifested
Could use the level 50 badge image, hero for Khelds and villain for SoA.

• hiding/collapsing categories of numbers - might be some mechanical issues with that
Could use the {{hidden}} template (or create a similar one specifically for this template)
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 08:48:55 PM »
This should probably be implemented because from all current knowledge on the subject, you can't start out as a villainous Blaster, etc. Further info is necessary before finalizing that, though.
Yeah.  Should be easy to put in there and make it easy to pull it back out should the need arise.

Could use the level 50 badge image, hero for Khelds and villain for SoA.
I think it's more a matter for me of how to put the logic in there to implement it.  Maybe an "epic" variable that would display the hero 50 if set to "h", villain 50 if set to "v", and not display the line at all if epic either isn't defined or is set to anything else.  Will probably also want to make it capable of expansion should any other method of unlocking an epic AT become available in the future.  Maybe instead of "h"/"v" use "50h"/"50v"?  Still mulling that over.

Could use the {{hidden}} template (or create a similar one specifically for this template)
That's pretty much the direction I'm looking in, but I'll need to see if I can do that with a straight in-line into the table as is, or if I'll need to define sub-tables (like on the character infobox template on the O-portal) and hide the sub-table.  Or if embedding hidden text inside a table is even functional in Mediawiki.  Just something we'll have to play around with to see how it goes.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 11:49:43 PM »
Alrighty, then.  I started playing around with placing a table inside the {{hidden}} template.  I didn't get very far.  The template does not play well with tables.  You can see the results of the experiment here.  Specifically, note cases 5 and 6.  (And note that there is an extra set of |- and | in Case 6, which - for some odd reason - destroys the layout of the entire web page when removed.)

So, unless someone else can think of something, we're no-go on using the hidden template to collapse data in the infobox.

Edit:  Actually, a thought just occurred...
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 11:59:17 PM by eabrace »
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 12:18:04 AM »
OK, I stand corrected.  I just needed to be smarter than the Mediawiki.

I've always noticed in hidden text boxes that we seem to have an extra line break inserted after the first and before the last lines of any text inside the template.  And that, as it turns out, is exactly what was screwing this up.  Now that I know how to view the rendered HTML that gets spit out ("?action=render"), I can see that I'm not imagining the extra line breaks because the template actually does create a separate paragraph for the first and last lines of any text inside the hidden template.

In case 7, I just inserted a random character to see if I could force Mediawiki to parse the entire table inside the same paragraph section.  It turns out, I could, and that was all I needed to hide the table intact.

In case 8, I replaced the period with a nbsp tag (just hitting the space bar is interpreted as "nothing" by the parser, so that works differently.)  Viola.  I appear to have found a solution.

See case 9 for the final outcome.

(And I'd appreciate it if anyone knows what the "correct" way to modify that font size in the hidden header if they'd share with me what that is.)
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 04:39:25 AM »
Check out: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Template:Extension

They're basically doing what you'd like to do. :)

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 03:14:12 PM »
Oh sure.  Now you tell me.  :P

:D

Aaanyway.  I just finished adding what I learned from my little experiment to the infobox.  Go!  Look!  Provide feedback!
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 04:14:39 PM »
It looks fabulous! Now it doesn't take up a page and a half of scrolling immediately, wonderful wonderful!
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Sera404

• Underling
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 04:18:18 PM »
Missing Threat Level.  :D

It looks good anyway.  :D  Can you put some of the blaster text into the "Example" part so we can see how it looks with the infobox on the side?

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 05:01:40 PM »
Oh yeah.  Threat level modifier would be a good add.

By "blaster text", do you mean like copy/pasting the overview from the Blaster article to give it some context as it'll be appearing in the actual articles?
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 11:33:51 PM »
Added number of primary, secondary, and ancillary sets; alignment icon; and threat modifier.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 04:40:47 PM »
Made two more modifications today.

1)  I added the ability to specify the AT name in the box.  This will override the default {{PAGENAME}} value.  Most of the time it won't matter, but I was thinking ahead to the Kheldians.  Should we decide to create additional boxes for the Nova and Dwarf forms, the ability to label the boxes with "Bright Nova" or "Black Dwarf" instead of having all of the boxes on the page say "Warshade" or "Peacebringer" now exists.

2)  I added a switch statement for the Epic pool count.  If a heroic alignment is specified, the link will point to Ancillary Power Pools.  If a villainous alignment is specified, the link will point to Patron Power Pools.  No specified alignment will default to Ancillary.

I think the box is in a state where it's ready for deployment to the AT articles.  We should be able to make any subsequent changes to the box without disrupting the flow of the articles.  If there are no objections, I'll probably start placing the box in the articles tomorrow.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 04:30:35 PM »
Starting the rollout today.  I've created the template and its documentation and I've modified the Brute AT page.  (I've also moved this historic info on the page to its own section while I'm at it.)
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2009, 07:50:33 PM »
Looks like a keeper to me. Two things to keep in mind...

Anywhere you see the word "faction," destroy it. And then burn what you used to destroy it. The word "alignment" should be used instead.

For Villains, add little anchors to the Patron links so that when you click them, you get shown the applicable power table without having to scroll down. Example: [[Leviathan Mastery#Brute|Leviathan Mastery]]

I've made both changes to the Brute page.

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2009, 10:12:04 PM »
Looks like eabrace had some spare time during work today, and he and I knocked out all the archetype pages in just a couple hours. Thanks for all the hard work, eabrace! I'd give you another Spruce Hammer, but I'm afraid you might hurt yourself trying to use two at once.

Two things I noticed:

Stalker shows a precursor to Powerset Proliferation by having Dark Armor and Dark Melee ported in Issue 7. Should we mention this in the Powerset Proliferation article?

I put a few changes to Blaster powersets on the Blaster page (Targeting Drone, Auto Turret), but I'm not sure if it's best to put it on the archetype page itself. Point being that they are changes to the powersets and not the archetypes, and nearly all of the epic pools got an additional power in Issue 13. That should all probably be noted in the powersets' pages, no?

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2009, 10:15:09 PM »
I was thinking about the additions to the Patron sets as I was working through the villain ATs.  It would seem to me that it would be best to note additions/modifications to individual sets in the set articles rather than in the AT articles.

(And we so need a Dual Hammers power set.)
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2009, 06:20:22 AM »
Yeah, there are some powers and powersets that have had considerable, and multiple changes throughout its history *stares at Regeneration*, so that stuff should be on the powerset page, else the history section gets huge and unwieldy. :/

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal