Author Topic: Zone Overviews  (Read 5150 times)

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
Zone Overviews
« on: August 29, 2009, 02:57:44 PM »
While going through the wiki yesterday, I realized that some of the basic city zones (like Founders' Falls and Peregrine Island) have absolutely zero information in their overviews.  I thought about adding the information from the old Prima guides, but decided against it for copyright reasons. However, when I compared the backgrounds in the guides to the ones on the CoH Web site, I noticed that they are, by and large, duplicated verbatim.  This tells me that Prima must have used official write-ups from Cryptic when they were making their guides, and any general background info (but not the hunting strategies) would be fair game to include in the wiki.

Any thoughts about this?

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
Re: Zone Overviews
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 01:06:16 AM »
Hmm.  I have thoughts (I think), but they're a bit incoherent.  I know most of the zone info that was in the Prima guides was the same as originally existed on the official web site.  The info that wasn't on the web site was probably written by the CoH team and given to Prima.  But, of course, that still doesn't make it non-copyrighted material as far as the Prima guide goes.  However, the Prima guide died out very quickly, and I'm pretty sure they're not selling any more copies or making money off of it any more.

I don't know.  I'm on the fence on this one, I guess.  I'm not exactly encouraging anyone to copy the info from the guide, but I'm not exactly discouraging it, either.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 02:02:28 AM »
A couple other thoughts, then.  A quick search of Prima's Web site revealed absolutely nothing at all regarding City of Heroes or City of Villains.  Amazon.com does list copies of the book and binder versions of the guide, but all from secondhand sellers.  The latest feedback for either version is at least a couple years old, and none of them were positive.

Aside from the villain backgrounds, the zone overviews are about the only things in any of the guides that would still be relevant to the current version of the game.  If Prima were serious about laying claim to these products, I'd think they'd have made a better effort to keep them in the public eye.  As it is, with the public thrashing the guides got, it's probably more likely that Prima's abandoned them.

Cannonfodder

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 04:39:47 AM »
When they added the recon officers to the hazard/trial zones, did the wiki ever capture that text?
--Jason
@Cannonfodder
Victory:  Cannonfodder 50 Inv/SS
Virtue:  Pravda 50 Bots/FF
The Hall of Justice/The Hall of Doom /chanjoin "Victory Badges" /chanjoin "Virtue Badges"

Fleeting Whisper

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 05:03:33 AM »
When they added the recon officers to the hazard/trial zones, did the wiki ever capture that text?
I'm fairly sure some zones have the recon officer text, but I don't think every single one has been.

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 12:18:50 PM »
Actually, the wiki does have them all. With pictures!  :P

http://wiki.cohtitan.com/wiki/Reconnaissance_Officer

Now that I think about it, though, that text would be good to have in each zone's article, too.  I'll work on that this afternoon.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 12:24:47 PM by Blondeshell »