Author Topic: modifiers on ATs  (Read 7543 times)

LKN-351

• Lieutenant
modifiers on ATs
« on: September 05, 2009, 07:42:56 PM »
so i just noticed this feature of modifiers and limits for ATs. i like that but maybe along with the melee and ranged modifiers for that AT we could also get the base values as well?
like in a 'base/this AT' sorta set up. im not even sure if there is a base value for melee/ranged before the modifiers are applied to any particular AT or not

also along the same lines maybe for the powersets the final values as well. for example on the defense sets like WP have a chart that shows the resistance and/or defense at lvl 50 with only SOs or maybe unslotted.
that would be helpful when planning a build as opposed to asking about them on the forums or making a test build in mids just to get the numbers/strengths and weaknesses. i dunno how that could be used on the nondefense sets but i think it owuld be helpfull on them at least on a powerset by powerset basis.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
Re: modifiers on ATs
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 06:51:09 AM »
Modifier values modify the base number of a power, so the ATs themselves do not have base numbers.  So, for instance, if the modifier for Ranged Defense Buff on an AT is 0.1000 and the power being used by that AT has a Base Defense Buff of 1.5000, then the buff granted by that AT using that power is .1500 or 15.00%.

To see this example in action, check out City of Data.  If you look at Deflection Shield as used by Defenders, you'll see that the power grants 15% defense.  If you select "Unspecified" for the Archetype under Power Effects, that number changes to 1.5000.  And if you look at the Ranged_Buff_Def modifier table, you'll see the Defender modifier is 0.1000.

It was only recently that we added the modifier data to the AT articles, so we haven't done much with it.  It might be nice to link to an article (perhaps "Archetype Modifiers") explaining how those numbers work.  We just haven't gotten that far.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

LKN-351

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 09:01:16 AM »
ah, that last part would make sense. lol cause i looked at it and the first thing that came to mind was 'modified as opposed to...... ?' lol

what about the idea for just the smash/lethal/energy so on and so forth on the melee defense type sets? that would definitely be nicer than having to open up mids and makin a dummy build just to see the numbers that particular powerset would put out by 50

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 02:44:31 PM »
We've discussed things like individual power data for the Wiki in the past.  The general consensus is that it would be relatively difficult to keep the information up to date if we couldn't find a way to automate updating it.  Some work has been done in that direction, but that hasn't reached a point yet where we're ready to move forward with the automation.

I'd say for now, the best thing the AT modifiers can be used for in the Wiki would be as a comparison value between ATs.  For example, by looking at the modifier values for Defense Buffs, you can see that if you want a buffing archetype, a Defender will be more effective than a Blaster.

And if you need to see the actual effects of a power, you can always do so by following the link at the bottom of the set's page to view the set on RedTomax.com.  I do that myself every now and again.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

LKN-351

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 05:20:01 PM »
oh, yeah well i know that much about the modifiers lol. personally ive got quite a bit of experience with the ATs that was just my first reaction to the modifiers. suppose that would be good for people that are new to the game.

why would an updater be needed for just displaying the defense sets? only reason i could think of would be for when they nerf them on an issue. eh i suppose you guys got your reasons and ill wait with anticipation.