Author Topic: City of Data Status?  (Read 31865 times)

Weatherby Goode

• Underling
City of Data Status?
« on: October 04, 2009, 09:09:08 PM »
Any Titan folks care to give an update on CoD's status?  Is it dead?

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
Re: City of Data Status?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 12:26:32 AM »
With all honestly, Red Tomax has a track record of vanishing on us... but he usually makes a timely triumphant return and updates everything.

I'd say if CoD isn't updated by the end of the month, it's probably not going to be.
~Steinerd

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 02:02:04 AM »
That, frankly, is bullshit.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

SaintNicster

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 02:53:21 AM »
That, frankly, is bullshit.
*shrugs* it's his site.  He's the only one with access to update it.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 04:40:35 AM »
It's not his site, not anymore; it's a part - a very large part, by the by...I don't know how many umpteen references are made to it every day - of the Titan Network. If he can't keep it updated, he needs to hand over the keys... end of story.

I still call bullshit. *shrugs*
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

SaintNicster

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 04:55:19 AM »
It's not his site, not anymore; it's a part - a very large part, by the by...I don't know how many umpteen references are made to it every day - of the Titan Network. If he can't keep it updated, he needs to hand over the keys... end of story.

I still call bullshit. *shrugs*

Ah, just like SP's planner then?  It hadn't been updated since i9 before i16.  Where was your bullshit then?

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 06:45:15 AM »
To be honest, SP's planner wasn't a huge part of the Titan Network. Now that it's getting updated to be integrated better with the site? Yeah, it's definitely on there now. Then? No, I didn't care much. It was out of date only a few months after it was put up... lost cause until SP came back to revamp it recently. Now, if SP "abandons" it again and no one takes it up? Yeah, I'll call bullshit on that, too, if it happens. Especially since SP seems to be making it so that it's easier to update, that really calls for some bullshit calling. :p

Same as I called bullshit on the single post that Steiner made about letting Mids designer waste.

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 01:07:29 PM »
Ah, just like SP's planner then?  It hadn't been updated since i9 before i16.  Where was your bullshit then?

This isn't fair to me. I never vanished. I posted on the boards now and then and was always an available resource to Steiner over IM or email. I handed Steiner all the code I had been working on for an updated Planner. He didn't have time / patience / Javascript-Fu enough to complete it.

The old planner was garbage I won't lie but City of Data's lack of updates aren't in the same ballpark as the Planner's.

Maverick X

• Elite Boss
  • Superpowered Awesome
    • SeanMcMahan.info
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 01:09:53 PM »
To be honest, SP's planner wasn't a huge part of the Titan Network.

Actually, along with CIT, it was the other half of the beginnings of Titan Network. Then came CGT, Faces, Red Tomax, Paragon Wiki, etc. Just sayin'. =D
Sean
Retired Resident Titan Nerd
---------------------------

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 01:10:43 PM »
Agge/Nicster, at this point I'm going to have ask for this thread to stop with the back and forth.

SP's planner & Mids' HD are very different examples in contrast to RT's site. The end result is that we don't have access to update anything on that site... and it's almost 100% pointless to even worry about it because Paragon Wiki has relatively all the same information, and if it doesn't... it soon will; because it's just a matter of time before Guy Perfect perfects his version of the same real numbers' system and implements it on pwiki.

SP's Planner & Mids' HD are bad examples because both were given to the network to be continued and simply weren't... obvious reasons intact, however we still managed to bring in the right people and somehow managed to spark the interest of developers that have gone into semi-retirement to come back with vengeance, to continue their flagship sites at an unbelievable pace.

Everyone who's been around Titan long enough knows RedTomax goes missing and most the time comes back... I don't know what is "bullshit" about someone having a life outside of a site 5 years running being the only person working on it. Some developer/programmers are exclusive like that and don't like when other people touch their code... something we all just said whatever about and went on with our own business....

In summary: You really shouldn't call "bullshit" on situations you know very little about. RT recently got married, had a kid on the way (I believe) and just moved into a new home... if I remember correctly. It takes a while to get settled enough to actually spend time on your own stuff after a series of life changed like that.

I honestly wouldn't worry about RT or RT.com. He has yet to disappoint, but if you're so worried about it... instead of making gripes; email him. Ask for access, lol.
~Steinerd

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 06:03:00 PM »
Or poke GuyPerfect and see how his version is coming along.

He's been (understandably) sorta MIA the last month or so with his move from WA to OR, but he might have made some progress in the mean time.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 07:59:17 PM »
Heh... Heh. Well, I'd hate to feed more dark energy to the looming void of panic and despair, but in regards to my future involvement with anything related to City of Heroes, I wouldn't count on it.

In management of my finances, I made the decision to keep my game account inactive in order to allow myself to focus on more pressing matters (sans distraction, etc.) and swiveled my chair around to face the TV during game time instead. Pulling out a plethora of games from years gone by (including various RPGs), I was reaquainted with the things I enjoy in such games. They have plots, and a reasonable balance in progression between player powers and the greater storyline. What kept me playing through City of Heroes the first time through was wondering what else there was in the game's universe: what secrets would the next mission uncover?

Well, in retrospect and with fresh memories of real games in mind, I'd have to say that I'm now of the opinion that City of Heroes kinda sucks. There's no ending or accomplishment; no closure to the greater plots that are introduced issue after issue and then forgotten about the next. It's a glorified waste of time that costs fifteen dollars a month. I'd rather waste my time flipping a coin and watching end credits.

Having said that, my own tastes in gaming certainly aren't enough to merit doing away with projects that aid with the enjoyment of the game by my respectable, fellow gamers. If I can give them what I've been working on to help them enjoy the game like I wanted to for the past few years, then it's certainly something I ought to go ahead and do.

Alas, there are complications in this regard as well. The proverbal nail in the proverbial coffin was when Arcana threatened to persuade the programmers to add a layer of encryption to the client files to keep people like me out. I subsequently spent some time hacking the game executable itself and have a system ready that, should the need arise, will use the game's own programming to decrypt the client files and give me access to the data all the same. I can all but guarantee that no matter the protection put in place by the developers, I can already get around it.

This isn't the issue, however. The issue is that my efforts would be supporting those who are actively against me, and that's not a manner in which I wish for my talents to be applied.

So the current situation is that I am both unimpressed by the game itself, and am principally opposed to the Titan Network. Should my work end up back in the community, it will be strictly with Paragon Wiki. But I cannot entrust it to TonyV or anyone else who seeks to further the successes of the Titan Network, for I will not run the risk of having my hacking utilities find their way to Arcana or in some other way back to the developers themselves.

Of course, this all requires the Titan Network theoretically shoot itself in the foot in the first place, so I won't bother spending the time to dwell on it. You guys keep waiting for Red Tomax, as you won't be getting anything out of me.

@Aggelakis:
Though City of Data is a noted resource in the City of Heroes community, it is still nonetheless the project of one individual who is under no obligation to work for--or give his work to--said community. If you're looking for communism, move to China. They censor all sorts of bullshit there and you won't have to worry about it.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 08:12:22 PM by GuyPerfect »

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 08:08:54 PM »
Whoah. My butt suddenly hurts.

Maverick X

• Elite Boss
  • Superpowered Awesome
    • SeanMcMahan.info
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 08:09:56 PM »
Not sure what happened in my absence to make you hate the TN Guy, but I wish you the best in all of your endeavors. =\
Sean
Retired Resident Titan Nerd
---------------------------

St0n3y

• Boss
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 08:17:11 PM »
 ??? Wow.......Just wow.

I'm a sexy pork chop!!!!

Tazhyngarth

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 08:28:51 PM »
I'm pretty sure that Guy is saying something to the effect of....

Even though Titan is smart enough not to break any rules warrenting the attention of the CoX Devs, it's still too high a risk to lend a helping hand as the fact that the association between Titan and the Devs is already fairly high.  Given my background with said Devs, that association is too risky for myself to become involved in.

I am sorry, I cannot help you....

At least that makes it sound a bit less of a thrust in the back-entrance, even if it's not what Guy meant...

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 08:52:33 PM »
To clarify, I hold nothing against any specific individual in the Titan Network, and anyone not involved with the Real Numbers effort(s) had no part in swaying me towards the decision that I've made. Having said that, the circumstances surrounding the work powering City of Data and other resoruces on the Titan Network have alerted me to a situation in which my talents simply aren't welcome, so I will keep them to myself.

Although I've made considerable progress towards something that may well be able to replace City of Data, what's left on my server from I16 beta is the last anyone will see of that project until I delete the directory altogether.

Weatherby Goode

• Underling
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 11:12:08 PM »
...I'm sorry I asked.

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2009, 03:25:29 AM »
...I'm sorry I asked.

Don't be, it's a perfectly valid question.  I wouldn't say "bullshit," but I do think that Aggelakis is valid in raising concern, too.  I get antsy when people just up and disappear.  The big difference between RedTomax and the sites that Steiner was working on is that regardless of how slow or fast the progress was, we always knew that it was under active development.

I hate to say it, but we might want to start considering putting together a replacement site.  (After the move.  Oh god, please wait until after the move...)  It's still more-or-less current, and I don't see this as an urgent priority, but I also don't want to wait until it gets painfully stale with RedTomax MIA before we decide to do something.

NeutronStar

• Underling
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2009, 01:34:00 PM »
The thing I'm hoping for an update on is the Vidiot maps.
Mmmm, bacon...