Author Topic: City of Data Status?  (Read 31862 times)

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
Re: City of Data Status?
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2009, 01:47:53 PM »
The thing I'm hoping for an update on is the Vidiot maps.

Well, we have nothing to do with them, so you'd  have to ask that crew.

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2009, 08:53:16 PM »
The thing I'm hoping for an update on is the Vidiot maps.
There was an announcement made today about VidiotMaps, but you can PM me here if you had some specific question about the maps on that site.  That way it doesn't clutter up this forum.

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2009, 08:54:52 PM »
(After the move.  Oh god, please wait until after the move...)

By the way, to what, exactly, does this refer?

SaintNicster

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2009, 10:24:29 PM »
By the way, to what, exactly, does this refer?
Consolidation of servers. 

PWiki and Ouro, and the rest of the network are on separate hosts.  Tony's been wanting to consolidate for a while now, since he's the one paying two bills :P

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2009, 10:26:35 PM »
The various Titan sites are currently hosted by two different VPS companies.  Essentially that means two bills each month for hosting.  The move Tony is referring to is a planned move of the sites on one of those VPSs to the other, thus consolidating everything onto one VPS and reducing the hosting costs to one bill each month.

Edit:  Hopefully, if the move goes smoothly, it should be pretty transparent to most people.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2009, 10:47:11 PM »
Speaking of which, I need to post a news item about this.

*runs off to post...

SaintNicster

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2009, 10:55:17 PM »
Edit:  Hopefully, if the move goes smoothly, it should be pretty transparent to most people.

Not really.  When we move, most (if not all) sites will be down for a several hours because of the sheer size of the sites and the databases.

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2009, 11:05:38 PM »
Not really.  When we move, most (if not all) sites will be down for a several hours because of the sheer size of the sites and the databases.
True dat.

At around noon, everything is going to go KA-PLOOIE!  (Except it will be a graceful KA-PLOOIE, in that we're moving stuff, not destroying it, but still, the sites will be inaccessible.)

Then we're going to raise the temperature of some datacenters by a few degrees by backing everything up and pushing most of it kicking and screaming over some network cables to another server.  Then we'll restore it all, change some configuration settings to match the new environment, and turn it all back on, at which time we'll figure out all the stuff that we didn't account for in the move.  (But hey, that's why we give you our e-mail addresses! --Here's mine.)

I'm guessing that somewhere in the neighborhood of 2:00pm to 3:00pm, stuff will start coming back up.  It will be a while before anything does, but once it does, it should all come up fairly quickly.

Edit: All times Eastern, of course.  ;)
Double Edit:  And I think Eabrace was probably talking about after the move is complete that everything will be transparent.  You won't notice any front-end changes.  But yeah, during the actual move itself, the sites will be down.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2009, 11:40:45 PM »

Yeah, I meant the after-effects of the move should be transparent.  Not the move itself.  :)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2009, 12:41:02 AM »
Anyways, back on topic... lol

Sent an email to him... I first want to see if he's OK, lol. Then we'll bug him about CoD.
~Steinerd

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2009, 05:22:26 AM »
You should e-mail him a bowl of chicken soup, just in case.

RedTomax

• Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2010, 05:12:46 AM »
I'm not really a soup person, a nice steak would be more likely to carry favour in my household.

Weatherby Goode

• Underling
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2010, 11:47:25 PM »
Just checking back in...

Hope life is treating you well RT.