Author Topic: GR Image Categories  (Read 7329 times)

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
GR Image Categories
« on: November 03, 2009, 06:10:07 AM »
At the moment, (as far as I can remember) we only really have one category for GR character images:  Praetorians Images.  As new GR info becomes available and more images are being made public, I'm beginning to think that this single category isn't going to be sufficient.  It's still early, and there's not a lot of info yet, but I'd like to get a handle on this before it becomes a bigger issue.

For example, the image of the Praetorian Clockwork costume could be considered the first real image we have of the Clockwork on Praetorian Earth.  But if we're categorizing an image like that, were should we put it?  (Costumes Images is obvious, but let's assume we're talking factions here.)  I don't think the Praetorians Images category is a good fit since the Clockwork aren't (I think) part of the Praetorian faction, per se.  And unless the Earth Prime Clockwork are getting an overhaul, I don't think the image quite fits under Clockwork Images either, but I've added that category as well for the time being.

As far as that goes, the Praetorian faction itself may have to be updated since it sounds like the Praetorians we're familiar with are going to be part of the "Loyalist" faction on Praetorian Earth.

And the CoH Rogue Images category we have now looks like it might need to be split into different categories.

Anyone else had any thoughts about this?
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

SaintNicster

• Elite Boss
Re: GR Image Categories
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 03:18:49 PM »
At the moment, (as far as I can remember) we only really have one category for GR character images:  Praetorians Images.  As new GR info becomes available and more images are being made public, I'm beginning to think that this single category isn't going to be sufficient.  It's still early, and there's not a lot of info yet, but I'd like to get a handle on this before it becomes a bigger issue.

For example, the image of the Praetorian Clockwork costume could be considered the first real image we have of the Clockwork on Praetorian Earth.  But if we're categorizing an image like that, were should we put it?  (Costumes Images is obvious, but let's assume we're talking factions here.)  I don't think the Praetorians Images category is a good fit since the Clockwork aren't (I think) part of the Praetorian faction, per se.  And unless the Earth Prime Clockwork are getting an overhaul, I don't think the image quite fits under Clockwork Images either, but I've added that category as well for the time being.

As far as that goes, the Praetorian faction itself may have to be updated since it sounds like the Praetorians we're familiar with are going to be part of the "Loyalist" faction on Praetorian Earth.

And the CoH Rogue Images category we have now looks like it might need to be split into different categories.

Anyone else had any thoughts about this?

My thoughts:  create a "going rogue images" category as a catchall for now.  Once it is closer to releasing, or we have more concrete info, we can start divvying things up based on factions, etc.

Sleepykitty

• The Napping Cat
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 09:36:28 PM »
o.o sub categories are you friends?

>.> rename Praetorian Images to Praetorian Faction Images, and Create a new Praetorian Earth Category in Images to stick everything under?

<,< perhaps add a (Praetorian Version) to all the new faction categories (or an Alt World Version) so you'd have something like [[Category: Clockwork (Praetorian Earth)]] as the tag.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I am Sleepy! Hear me Yawn!

o.o reachable at: My Paragonwiki Page

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 09:46:23 PM »
Faction is dead. Enemy Group reigns supreme!

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 04:42:49 AM »
Faction is dead. Enemy Group reigns supreme!

We'll have to agree to disagree; even the devs use 'faction'.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 05:26:56 AM »
Much as I usually avoid the term since "faction" implies infighting contained in a larger group, it's pretty much become the "standard" term used in the game.  (I know, that doesn't make it right, but it does make it easier to communicate if we're all on the same page.)

Though I do much prefer to use "alignment" over "faction" when I'm talking about the broader scope of hero/villain.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 12:44:07 PM »
Heroes and Villains are factions of super-powered beings.  :P

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 02:04:45 PM »
Democrats and Republicans are political factions by that same logic.  :p

I'm just saying it's not often you hear the word "faction" applied to groups that encompass more than a very small fraction of a larger whole - a splinter group - with an agenda that typically either conflicts in some way with the goals of the parent group or takes one goal to such an extreme that the rest of the parent group won't even associate with them.

Continuing with the political example, either left- or right-wing extremists would be more along the lines of what I'd consider a faction within their own respective political parties.

Aaaanyway...

At the moment I'm leaning toward the "One category to rule them all" divided into several subcategories.  Sometimes the easy answer is the one I'm most likely to overlook.  Go figure.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 02:21:11 PM »
I was just being facetious :P

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 08:05:45 PM »
We'll have to agree to disagree; even the devs use 'faction'.

Hey, the devs also say that Heroes and Villains shouldn't be able to trade Inspirations, but that doesn't make them right. (-:

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 08:55:05 PM »
I was just being facetious :P

You did have a point, though.  ;)
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

SuckerPunch

• Elite Boss
    • Titan Network
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 09:33:30 PM »
You did have a point, though.  ;)

Strange how these things work out.

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 02:43:42 AM »
I avoid the term "faction" precisely because it is ambiguous in the context of the game.  I prefer "enemy group" when describing entities like The Family, Sky Raiders, Rikti, etc.  I prefer "alignment" when distinguishing between heroes and villains.

Fleeting Whisper

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 03:35:10 AM »
Though I do much prefer to use "alignment" over "faction" when I'm talking about the broader scope of hero/villain.
<-- Chaotic Neutral

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 04:39:21 PM »
The Hierarchy is: Enemy Group Than Faction.

Case-in-point. There is a (Enemy) Group called "Vanguard" but they have a mercenary faction within the (enemy) group you actually get missions to take them down.

There are a few other examples, but I'm probably just going to start another debate even bringing this up.

In-Game:
Enemy Group is the the generalized mass of NPCs with the same common goal,
Factions are sub-groups of the same Enemy Group that have splintered off in an attempt to complete their own belief interpretation of said goal.

BUAH HAHAHA, Steiner actually knew something for once...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 09:06:08 PM by Steiner »
~Steinerd

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2009, 04:50:21 PM »
Case-in-point. There is a (Enemy) Group called "Vanguard" but they have a mercenary faction within the (enemy) group you actually get missions to take them down.

The Vanguard Sword is an excellent example of the proper use of "faction".  Well played, sir.  :)
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

SaintNicster

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2009, 05:04:38 PM »
The Hierarchy is: Enemy Group Than Faction.

There are a few other examples, but I'm probably just going to start another debate even bringing this up.

In-Game:
Enemy Group is the the generalized mass of NPCs with the same common goal,
Factions are sub-groups of the same Enemy Group that have splintered off in an attempt to complete their own belief of said goal.

BUAH HAHAHA, Steiner actually knew something for once...

Cue someone to come in and correct in 3...2...
;)

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2009, 05:33:04 PM »
Aw, shucks. Now people are agreeing with Guy Perfect. *Blush*

In any case, isn't this supposed to be about image categories?