Author Topic: External Images?  (Read 4008 times)

WonderGamer

• Underling
External Images?
« on: January 06, 2010, 04:41:09 PM »
I was about to add my characters to my profile using images from my Xfire profile, but the only way I can find to display an image so far is to upload it to CoHTitan (I'm not educated on Wiki syntex yet & am struggling with it as is). I figured that pulling my images from an outside source would be easier on CoHTitan as it does not take upload space on your servers. Is it possible to do this or am I just stuck with uploading my thumbnail images to CoHTitan? The thumbnail images are already created & on Xfire servers, this is why I'm trying to bypass this step.

SaintNicster

• Elite Boss
Re: External Images?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 04:57:55 PM »
I was about to add my characters to my profile using images from my Xfire profile, but the only way I can find to display an image so far is to upload it to CoHTitan (I'm not educated on Wiki syntex yet & am struggling with it as is). I figured that pulling my images from an outside source would be easier on CoHTitan as it does not take upload space on your servers. Is it possible to do this or am I just stuck with uploading my thumbnail images to CoHTitan? The thumbnail images are already created & on Xfire servers, this is why I'm trying to bypass this step.

There isn't actually any special syntax (it appears).  You just need to put the URL of the image in your page.

See my user page as an example.  As a note, I found this at the MediaWiki help pages (src)

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 05:21:51 PM »
I left a note on your talk page with a couple of examples, too.

I use external images in a few tables on my User page because they're images I created and I'd prefer to retain ownership of them rather than placing them under public domain by uploading them to the wiki.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

WonderGamer

• Underling
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 05:33:02 PM »
Alright.  I guess that was my bad; didn't think to try normal HTML.  With that being said, I can probably get it to show just fine.  Thanks for the help.   ;D

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 05:39:50 PM »
Well, it's not quite the way you'd do it with normal HTML.  You don't need the "img" tag or any of the syntax that goes with it.  In fact, if you try to display an image that way it'll render weird with the text of the tag displayed and the image embedded in the middle of it.  All you really need in the wiki is just the address of the image.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

SaintNicster

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 05:45:33 PM »
Well, it's not quite the way you'd do it with normal HTML.  You don't need the "img" tag or any of the syntax that goes with it.  In fact, if you try to display an image that way it'll render weird with the text of the tag displayed and the image embedded in the middle of it.  All you really need in the wiki is just the address of the image.

Heh, it's almost too simple :)

WonderGamer

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 06:09:33 PM »
Only issue I had after getting the images in was to make them links to the full-sized images.  I got that down though, my page is done for the time being.  I'll add other stuff when I have more information to add.  Thanks for the help guys.   ;D

BTW:  I created a new Xfire userbox using a Generic one on my user page.  I would create a template for it if I understood the syntex better, but I'm still a novice when it comes to such matters.  You can add the userbox format that I have to the Userbox Templates page if you'd like or create a legit template to add.

What I was trying to do was make a template that would only require you to add your Xfire username to the syntex, which would be added at the end of a pregenerated url (http://www.xfire.com/profile/).  The URL alone takes you to the profile of the person that is logged into Xfire.com at that time, but adding the username to the end takes you to the profile of that username; I thought it was a good idea for a userbox anyways.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 06:25:08 PM by WonderGamer »

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 07:39:57 PM »
I went ahead and put a Userbox together for Xfire profiles.

http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Template:Userbox_Xfire

If you don't put a username in, it just links to the main site.  If you do put one in, it links to your profile.

Also:  I checked to see how you linked your thumbnail images to the full-sized images.  Exactly how I would have recommended doing it.  You're learning quickly.  :)
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

WonderGamer

• Underling
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 07:43:32 PM »
Thank man; much appreciated!  I'll update my profile with the official userbox now.  Thanks again!   ;D 8)