Author Topic: Spam/Virus Attack from Red Tomax Site via PM System  (Read 20760 times)

ShadowRavenwolf

• Underling
  • RavenwolfManor.com
    • Ravenwolf Manor
Spam/Virus Attack from Red Tomax Site via PM System
« on: January 16, 2010, 01:09:19 PM »
Checking my email a few minutes ago, I found this in my email.

Sent: Sat 1/16/10 2:35 AM
To:  [Admins can Verify my email if they choose - Shadow Ravenwolf]

Hello Shadow Ravenwolf,

You have received a new private message to your account on "Nofuture.org.uk" and you have requested that you be notified on this event. You can view your new message by clicking on the following link:

http://www.nofuture.org.uk/forum/privmsg.php?folder=inbox

Remember that you can always choose not to be notified of new messages by changing the appropriate setting in your profile. -- Dave

Going to my Private Messages, I logged in and found the following:

Important message from the forum administration   AdminLady Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:08 am   
Important message from the forum administration   AdminLady Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:32 am

Not knowing what the message was, I opened the first PM to find:

To: Shadow Ravenwolf
Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:08 am
Subject: Important message from the forum administration   
Dear, Shadow Ravenwolf!

A virus alert was noticed on your computer.
We highly recommend you to check your computer and perform online virus check at our site immediately: http://antivirus.effectmeds.com/Shadow Ravenwolf
----------------------------------------------------
Sincerely, Forum Administration www.nofuture.org.uk.

Of course, once I opened the first one, I figure the second one is the same.

I know most of you out there are smart enough to look at the link and know it's some sorta scam. Unfortunately, some of you may think that AdminLady may be a real Admin entity. If it is, then I have a rich uncle in Nigeria who needs you to send him $5,000 so we can free up the 120,000,000,000 in his trust fund that he left just for me. I'll make sure you get 50,000,000 of it.

Ok, seriously, just wanted you guys to be aware that a bot has gotten loose at nofuture.
Meh!

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
Re: Spam/Virus Attack from Red Tomax Site via PM System
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 02:08:10 PM »
Yea, RT forums were hacked, I got it too.

Sadly RedTomax (Dave) hasn't been around to address these things. Just delete it :D.
~Steinerd

RedTomax

• Lieutenant
Re: Spam/Virus Attack from Red Tomax Site via PM System
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 05:11:27 AM »
Yea, RT forums were hacked, I got it too.

Sadly RedTomax (Dave) hasn't been around to address these things. Just delete it :D.

Funnily enough they chose the weekend I'd set aside to sort out my online "stuff" that's been sitting on the backburner for the past year or more :)

As of this weekend the forums on the site are completely deleted rather than simply archived/disabled (seeing as I haven't touched any of my websites for over a year I hate to think of the number of security holes that have been discovered in phpBB in that time), and hopefully there'll be a plan to get the site being updated again in the coming days.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 05:17:10 AM by RedTomax »