Author Topic: A Hello and a qustion from a wiki noob.  (Read 10974 times)

Specto3600

• Underling
  • Acting Chief of TSAR
A Hello and a qustion from a wiki noob.
« on: January 20, 2010, 01:29:02 AM »
Hey, Specto3600 isnt what I am in game :P.  Im actually @Specta Phantom, real name is Randy.  I play on the Triumph Server mostly.  I just returned to the game.  Was gone from Issue 11ish till now. 

I have had a few other encounters with creating Wiki pages in the past, however, i dont know how to format anything at all, just the basics.  I made a Character page with the help of those template things to create a box on the right.  Now i want to make a Supergroup page for my SG Triumph Search and Rescue, however, I cant find anything to make a box like i did with my toon.  Can anyone help me out please?

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
Re: A Hello and a qustion from a wiki noob.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 02:12:24 AM »
Hmm.  I don't know that we actually have any templates like that for super groups.

I could probably work something up for one.  What all would you like to see in the box?  I'm guessing at least a spot for SG logo.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Specto3600

• Underling
  • Acting Chief of TSAR
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 02:54:32 AM »
Something with the Name, Logo, Founders and Date of Foundation, Current Leader.  Maybe Motto, and Description.  Basically what else is in the Supergroup page in game, besides like ranks and MOTD.  SG Colors would be cool.

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 02:34:57 PM »
Helluva template it will be, lol.

Looking forward to your SG page being the first to utilize it!
~Steinerd

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 04:31:42 PM »
Something with the Name, Logo, Founders and Date of Foundation, Current Leader.  Maybe Motto, and Description.  Basically what else is in the Supergroup page in game, besides like ranks and MOTD.  SG Colors would be cool.
I came up with pretty much the same list when I sat down to think about it last night, so we're on the same page.  Excellent.

I've started work on the template this morning.  Will pick it back up and finish it off when I get back from lunch.  :)
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 05:59:56 PM »
Anyone remember the names of the ranks for hero SGs?  (Villain SGs, for example, are Overlord, Ringleader, Taskmaster, Enforcer, and Flunky.)  If not, no big deal since I can check that when I get home tonight and pop them in pretty fast.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

SaintNicster

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 06:21:28 PM »
/snary comment
Can't you check the wiki? :p

SaintNicster

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 06:50:05 PM »
Anyone remember the names of the ranks for hero SGs?  (Villain SGs, for example, are Overlord, Ringleader, Taskmaster, Enforcer, and Flunky.)  If not, no big deal since I can check that when I get home tonight and pop them in pretty fast.

These are the names, and I'm pretty sure on the order (not 100%, though).  Pulled the names from the List of Slash Commands

Super leader
Leader
Captain
Commander
Lieutenant

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 06:52:49 PM »
Can't you check the wiki?

You know, I actually thought of that first.  That, however, seems to be a small detail that we missed on the Supergroup page.  I'll have to see to it that this oversight is corrected.

Thanks for finding that.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

SaintNicster

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 06:56:38 PM »
You know, I actually thought of that first.  That, however, seems to be a small detail that we missed on the Supergroup page.  I'll have to see to it that this oversight is corrected.

Thanks for finding that.
It's also here as well :)
http://wiki.cohtitan.com/wiki/The_Players%27_Guide_to_the_Cities/User_Interface/Super_Group_Window#Super_Group_Registration

EDIT: with the correct order, it appears >.>

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 08:03:23 PM »
*facepalm*

I thought I'd documented that somewhere in the wiki.

OK.  The template's about where I want it plus or minus a few little tweaks I might come up with.  I still need to update the documentation for it, but here's the general gist:

* Regardless of whether hero, villain, or undecided/unknown, it's the same template call:
Code: [Select]
{{SupergroupBox}}
(I like having one template that takes arguments rather than three different templates that all do the same thing.  Easier to maintain.)

* Format of the template's appearance is determined by specifying alignment.

All of the following values will produce a set of boxes with a blue color pallette:
alignment=h
alignment=hero
alignment=blue

All of the following values will produce a set of boxes with a red color pallette:
alignment=v
alignment=vill
alignment=villain
alignment=red

Omission of the alignment parameter or specifying any other value will produce a set of generic black and white boxes.

In all cases, the value entered for alignment is cap insensitive since the value is being forced into all lowercase before parsing by switch statements.

The rest of the arguments you may enter are:
* image - image shown at the top of the box; defaults to "confidential" image; images need to be limited to 300px (see note below)
* caption - caption placed under image at top of box
* name - the name of the supergroup
* server - server on which the supergroup resides
* founded - date the supergroup was created
* founder - founding member(s) of the supergroup
* emblem - supergroup emblem (all in-game SG emblem images are already uploaded)
* color1 - primary SG color (see note below)
* color2 - secondary SG color (see note below)
* rank1 - tier 1 SG rank (highest rank)
* rank2 - tier 2 SG rank
* rank3 - tier 3 SG rank
* rank4 - tier 4 SG rank
* rank5 - tier 5 SG rank (lowest rank)
* motto - SG motto
* description - short SG description (the one on the SG reg. form in-game)
* footnotes - any additional notes you wish to place in the infobox

Notes:

* image - I've left in the ability to use external images in this spot.  In order to do so, I had to keep the template from automatically assuming that the file is uploaded and automatically limiting the size of the image to 300 pixels wide.  That means that if you are using an uploaded image, you'll have to do so in the format of [[File:filename]].  This also means that the image is not automatically size-limited since (as far as I can determine through searching) there's no way to embed an external image and specify a size limit.  Keeping that in mind, do not use external images over 300 pixels wide.  Images over 300 pixels wide can and will take up as much space as they need.  In other words, if you use an image 1920 pixels wide, you're going to make the template do bad things.  Internal images, on the other hand, can be size-limited in the call, so if using an internal image over 300px wide, be sure to specify a size limit.  (I.E. [[File:filename|300px]].)

* color1 and color2 - I tried to see if I could override the background color of a single cell, but didn't see an immediately obvious method of doing so.  I might figure this one out later, which would allow you to set the cell color to your SG color.  In the mean time, I might just go ahead and capture a screenshot of the SG color selection screen, do a little photoshop work, and upload a set of images of all possible color selections.  This would allow people to place the image in this cell in order to accurately record their SG colors.

Edit: Oh yeah.  Examples.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 08:24:18 PM by eabrace »
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 09:32:56 PM »
Documentation for the template has now been updated.

If anyone has any suggestions they'd like to make for additions/modifications to the template and they don't feel comfortable modifying the template themselves, I'd be happy to entertain any ideas.  :)

In the mean time, I'll see if I can come up with something that looks good for the SG color fields.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 08:04:13 AM »
After a marathon of playing around in Photoshop and uploading 160 new images to the wiki, we now have a full gallery of color samples from the in-game costume palette.

(Thanks for pointing out the gallery size issue, Aggelakis‎.  :))

I popped a few of the color samples into the SupergroupBox examples I linked above.  I think they work pretty well.

I've updated the template documentation to call attention to the color samples for people to use for the color1 and color2 parameters.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 01:51:23 PM »
Before you're done working on those templates (which are looking good, btw), just remember that there are actually six Super Group ranks now:

Heroes
Leader
Commander
General
Captain
Lieutenant

Villain
Overlord
Kingpin
Ringleader
Taskmaster
Enforcer
Flunky

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 02:28:47 PM »
Thanks for the reminder, Blondeshell.  Sometimes I think I've forgotten more about this game than I still remember.  :)

Template has been updated accordingly.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin