Author Topic: Mids' Hero/Villain Designer v1.62  (Read 27450 times)

St0n3y

• Boss
Mids' Hero/Villain Designer v1.62
« on: March 06, 2010, 08:16:39 AM »
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 09:14:02 AM by St0n3y »

I'm a sexy pork chop!!!!

torakusu

• Underling
Re: Mids' Hero/Villain Designer v1.62
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 08:27:40 AM »
FYI, the auto update isn't working and even after I downloaded the new installer executable and installed with that, it's still saying there's an update available.  Click yes will crash you.  Other than that, things seem to be working OK.

St0n3y

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 08:34:00 AM »
Covered that in my last paragraph.  :)

I'm a sexy pork chop!!!!

torakusu

• Underling
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 08:49:00 AM »
Covered that in my last paragraph.  :)

Groovy.  :)

Master of Ceremony

• Underling
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 11:37:44 AM »
Nice and fast work. Keep up the good work.

ohms

• Boss
    • OV website
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 12:41:02 PM »
That was quick, well done chaps :)

Derek Icelord

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 01:31:05 PM »
*does a happy dance*
Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?

hailstone

• Underling
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 02:24:35 PM »
What is the point of having an updater built in if it doesn't actually work to update?

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 03:49:18 PM »
The "updater" was built when the application was first realized by Mids; circa Window XP era.... lol

There was no UAC or over-necessity for admin rights for applications to have trust issues back then and updates where flawless...

With the launch of Vista and subsequent Win7; anyone running an account that is not an admin will have errors while running these specific un-signed/un-trusted programs.

The updater will not work until Microsoft puts in a "trust feature"... "Do you trust the distributor of this application" after clicking it will install in the C:\Program Files... folder with no issues and continue to run from it without any hitches; like good ol' WinXP.
Granted there might already be something like that for the Window's installer, but we're not using the Window's installer; we're using NSIS.... not to mention that the above stated feature isn't nearly as intuitive as it needs to be to function properly.

I've been busting my <bleep> to find way around this... and my found solution was to have the application install itself into the C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files... upon non-admin user permissions or heightened UAC settings... which will allow the program to write/read the data files without an issue, and guarantee that the new instance of the "updater" will actually work FOR THE USER WHO INSTALLED IT!.

What does this mean for our Mids' users? Well if you're not an administrator on your own computer Mids' will install itself in a hidden user directory folder... in a nutshell... I'm assuming you're not a power-user and will not need direct access to the Mids files. Once the system is in place I will make menu button within Mids to open the working directory that Mids is launching from... so in the case you are a power-user who is just security cautious... you'll have an easy way to get to what you need.   

I'm going to try and confer with St0n3y and make sure everything is going to plan...we're hoping to have these changes made before the next big issue release on the game... and St0n3y is on top of his game, I'm the one who's slacking... so hang in there and we hope to please everyone.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 03:56:52 PM by Steiner »
~Steinerd

Tog

• Lieutenant
    • Tog's Hero U
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 04:55:32 PM »
Anything planned in a future version that will remember user settings when an update happens?

Specifically, This newest one came with PvP numbers by default, and it reset my save folder to the default location rather than where I actually save my files.  I'm not sure if the default IO levels changed or not.

hailstone

• Underling
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 05:20:18 PM »
I am aware of the permission limitations in Vista.  However, I'm running on XP, as an administrator, and the self-update still doesn't work.

Steiner

• Elite Boss
    • Steinerd.com
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 05:40:49 PM »
I am aware of the permission limitations in Vista.  However, I'm running on XP, as an administrator, and the self-update still doesn't work.
oh yea, the point on why I even brought it up.

It was disabled through-out the entire app... Mids actually gave me the source with that deprecated and parts removed so I wouldn't attempt to use it.

Anything planned in a future version that will remember user settings when an update happens?

Specifically, This newest one came with PvP numbers by default, and it reset my save folder to the default location rather than where I actually save my files.  I'm not sure if the default IO levels changed or not.

I do not know where these settings are changed, most likely the config.mhd; which has been required to over-write to adhere to the PVP and DP changes.

I will get those settings moved to a local xml sheet in the working directory that will not be touched by updates.
~Steinerd

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2010, 08:52:16 PM »
I know this is going to come up sooner or later, so I just thought I'd point it out now:

When you open Mids' up and see this notification, READ CAREFULLY.

The notification specifically states, "DO NOT UPDATE USING THE MIDS PROGRAM!!!!"

In other words, "DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON BELOW LABELED 'YES'!!!!"

I know that's already been stated here, but it bears repeating.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

ViolentBlue

• Underling
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2010, 12:51:24 AM »
I can't seem to get the updater to work.  It gets stuck on this:

Checking your .NET Framework version...
MSI3.1 or better detected.
MSI3.1 installation done. Proceeding with remainder of installation.
.NET Framework Version found: 2.0.50727, equal or newer to required version: 2.0.
Proceeding with remainder of installation.
Output folder: C:\Program Files\Titan Network\Mids Hero Designer
Can't write: C:\Program Files\Titan Network\Mids Hero Designer\Hero Designer.exe

I'm using Vista.

SaintNicster

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 01:26:38 AM »
I can't seem to get the updater to work.  It gets stuck on this:

Checking your .NET Framework version...
MSI3.1 or better detected.
MSI3.1 installation done. Proceeding with remainder of installation.
.NET Framework Version found: 2.0.50727, equal or newer to required version: 2.0.
Proceeding with remainder of installation.
Output folder: C:\Program Files\Titan Network\Mids Hero Designer
Can't write: C:\Program Files\Titan Network\Mids Hero Designer\Hero Designer.exe

I'm using Vista.

Right Click on the installer file and click "Run as Administrator".

That, or install it somewhere other than C:\Program Files

ViolentBlue

• Underling
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2010, 01:41:22 AM »
Okay, moving it out of program files worked.  Thanks.

Call Me Awesome

• Underling
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2010, 07:59:57 PM »
Here's a minor issue for veterans, but it will confuse new players.  The power order in the travel pools is scrambled; for instance the Fly pool lists the powers in this order:
Hover
Fly
Air Superiority
Group Fly

I understand how you've set it up so that 60+ month vets can skip the prereq power, but you really need to keep the power order the same as in-game.  This is a problem that's carried over from the previous version and really ought to be corrected.  Is there some reason why this isn't a simple re-order of the power pool database?

cybermitheral

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2010, 11:56:30 PM »
Not sure ff these have been mentioned in other posts but I have some issues with the latest release.

1) No Tool-Tips
Hovering over the AT or Powersets used to provide a tool-tip description.
Now with 1.62 it doesnt.

2) Enhancments (Enh, IO, IO Sets)
Pre 1.62 when I hovered over any enhancement it would display the properties in a pop-out window to the right as well as in the [Info] window. The pop-out no longer occurs and for IO Sets with 5-6 set bonuses that are fairly long the final bit of the data doesnt display, instead it provides a scroll bar in the [Info] window. However when you take the cursor off the IO Set the [Info] window goes blank - even if you undock the [Info] window.

Old Version

New Version

St0n3y

• Boss
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2010, 12:13:33 AM »
Here's a minor issue for veterans, but it will confuse new players.  The power order in the travel pools is scrambled; for instance the Fly pool lists the powers in this order:
Hover
Fly
Air Superiority
Group Fly

I understand how you've set it up so that 60+ month vets can skip the prereq power, but you really need to keep the power order the same as in-game.  This is a problem that's carried over from the previous version and really ought to be corrected.  Is there some reason why this isn't a simple re-order of the power pool database?

Make sure you check what database your version is running.  I just did a fresh install to check this and all travel powers are displaying correctly. 

These powers have to be fixed every time there is an update.  I am sorry this is such an inconvience for you.  I will make sure travel power sort order is the number one thing I do on each release from here on out.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm a sexy pork chop!!!!

St0n3y

• Boss
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2010, 12:14:52 AM »
Not sure ff these have been mentioned in other posts but I have some issues with the latest release.

1) No Tool-Tips

2) Enhancments (Enh, IO, IO Sets)

Click the button in the upper right corner that says "Pop-Up: Off".  these were turned off by mistake on my end.  By clicking that buttun, it will resolve both of your issues.

I'm a sexy pork chop!!!!