Author Topic: New to COH/COV  (Read 19183 times)

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
Re: New to COH/COV
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2010, 01:29:28 AM »
Glad to hear you found a build you like.  (Doubly so that it's Inv/SS - my first and favorite Tank. :D)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Sir Giles

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2010, 02:17:17 AM »
Although I don't have one, Inv/SS looks like a fun tank to play!
Sir Giles

typenamehere

• Underling
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2010, 11:16:12 AM »
I have just one more question, then I'll stop bothering you forever lol.

Should I pick deffence over attack? And what level would I get my first aoe attack?

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2010, 01:22:54 PM »
With Invulnerability, I would place the highest priority on Temporary Invulnerability, Dull Pain, Unyielding, Invincibility - and by that, I mean take them as soon as they become available, regardless of what else you might be able to select from.

Historically, the passives (Resist Physical Damage, Resist Elements, Resist Energies, and Tough Hide) have often been considered skippable.  A little while back these powers were given a slight upgrade and now provide some protection against defense, recharge, and movement debuffs as well as endurance drain.  I can tell you from first-hand experience that there is a definite difference to the way an Invulnerability Tanker feels with or without that added little bit of status protection.  These powers can very easily be postponed until later in the build if there's something you want to pick up earlier in place of them.  And, yes, they are skippable, but they are not entirely useless.

The only three AoE powers you'll have in your primary and secondary are Invincibility (at level 18), Hand Clap (16), and Foot Stomp (38).

Invincibility is the cornerstone of your defense, taunting anything in melee and buffing your defense for every target it hits each time it pulses.  It is instrumental in keeping you on your feet and keeping your enemies focused on you instead of the rest of the team.

Hand Clap is a very situational power.  It stuns your enemies, but it knocks them away from you and out of melee - and outside of Invincibility's aura.  That distance can cause you to lose some of your defense buff, lose your aggro, and allow enemies to turn on your team when the stun wears off.  This is probably the most frequently skipped power in Super Strength.  It does have its uses, but must be used very, very carefully. 

Foot Stomp is the only AoE power of these three that does damage.  It also provides some soft control by knocking enemies down (not back, just down, so not out of melee).  It's very useful for ramping up the aggro you generate standing in the middle of a spawn very quickly.  And it's just plain fun to fire it off and watch it shake your whole screen.  :)

I have just one more question, then I'll stop bothering you forever lol.

Bother?  I love talking Tanker.  It's really no bother.  :)
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

typenamehere

• Underling
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2010, 01:04:36 AM »
So I've been trotting along I'm level 21 in my first week :D

But as I got to 21 I realised I have not gone into the fitness pool and got stamina, is it worth it at this stage?

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2010, 03:19:01 AM »
Man, if you're doing just fine without it - especially at level 21 - there's certainly nothing that says you have to take it.

That being said, even if you don't need the extra endurance from Stamina, the extra regen from Health is pretty good.  It's really nice for Tankers since the amount of regen is a percentage of your base HP and Tankers get more HP than anyone else.

Glad to hear you're cruising right along on your character.  Enjoy the next 29 levels, too.  :)
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

typenamehere

• Underling
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2010, 05:16:03 PM »
Cruising came to an end after doing an arc inside the midnighter club, it was really hard! Lol

Arc-Mage

• Underling
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2010, 01:12:27 AM »
If I remember correctly the average level across all servers is 27. That's usually around the time the grind starts if you solo. If you team regular with a good team the grind starts around level 35. A good team however will make the grind tolerable.

I highly encourage you to try out other archetypes and builds. The Tank may be nice to play but you may end up enjoying the style of play from another type of toon even more.

As for the game being designed to encourage teaming vs soloing, I would have to say at this point in the development of the game it is nicely balanced. At one time when the game was headed up by Jack Emmert he definitely pushed the design of the game towards teaming. All the major Badges in the game are TF Badges. You have to team to even start one. The end run at the game has many, many Arch Villains. If you want a good go at them you must team to defeat them.

With the game now being headed up by Matt Miller the game has opened greatly and become more solo friendly. You can now set your own difficulty in a variety of ways. Debt has been reduced greatly in the game since Miller took over. I don't know about anyone else but debt was the hardest part about soloing in the old days and I believe it was instated to discourage soloing. With the advent of the Ouroboros System you can now go back and re-play story lines you may have missed due to leveling to slow or quickly, another great help to soloing toons.

and that's all i gotta say about that....
Sometimes you just gotta say; The laws of time and space...who gives a smeg.

twiztidchild

• Minion
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2010, 11:05:23 PM »
i made a Dual Blade/Regen Scrapper that i solo'd all the way to 50 (except for when i did TFs) and i reached 50 in less than a month.  what i do is work on earning accomplishment badges and unlocking TFs like Ernest Hess/Katie Hannon and trials like the Hollows.  i also work on Ouroboros missions when i have free time.  i was also able to solo all the Praetorians with my DB/Regen Scrapper. 

my favorite tank is Electric/Electric for End management and the boost to running/recharge speed that Lightning Reflexes gives.  with Lightning Reflexes+Swift+Sprint+Ninja Run i was able to skip a travel power and get around pretty well.  /Electric has a good amount of AOE to kill mobs fast and has the ability to Drain End.  i was also able to solo all the Praetorians with my tank.

Tanks usually take longer to lvl when you solo because they do less dmg but you'll also have people asking you to join teams more often as a tank anyways.