Author Topic: Updated Extension:Cite  (Read 1977 times)

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
Updated Extension:Cite
« on: May 12, 2010, 04:12:54 AM »
I just upgraded ParagonWiki's installation of Extension:Cite to the latest trunk version so that we could benefit from an awesome feature they've added: the ability to define cites all in one spot, separately from the places that reference them.

As an example, take a look at the code for this page:
http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/User:Sekoia/Sandbox/Five

The gist is that it lets you organize your references all in one spot, giving them names. Then you can apply them as you wish through the article. This is a VASTLY easier format to work with than the older format, which required you to put them inline. Inline cites work okay when you're only refering to them once, but as you can see in articles like The Leviathan and even worse In-game timeline, we often refer to a reference many, many times which makes organizing, maintaining, and keeping them straight much, much more difficult. I'm SO glad they implemented this feature so we can move away from the chaotic approach we'd had to use before.

I'm hoping to get around to updating some of our articles with this new approach soon, but wanted to go ahead and mention it in case anyone else wanted to take advantage of it. You can read more on it here:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Cite/Cite.php#Separating_references_from_text

Zombie Man

• Elite Boss
Re: Updated Extension:Cite
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 07:10:15 AM »
What happens when the two ref styles are used in same page? Armageddon?

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 02:13:35 PM »
What happens when the two ref styles are used in same page? Armageddon?

Both styles play well together. I just added one inline to my sandbox page to check. So you can mix and match if you need to.

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 05:21:12 PM »
That's awesome.  Thanks, Sekoia!

I'm actually in the process of planning a whole-server upgrade, including the kernel, MySQL, PHP, etc.  After I get done with that, I'm planning on update MediaWiki to the latest version on both the Paragon Wiki and Ouroboros Portal.  I'll post more about that as we get closer to it.