Author Topic: Questions on the new content  (Read 1767 times)

taosin

• Boss
Questions on the new content
« on: August 25, 2010, 05:14:29 AM »
Hi folks,

I'd like to start putting up pages for the new Praetorian content, and I have a few questions and misgivings. Any enlightenment gratefully received!

Firstly, most of the missions seem to have a different method of briefing, what with all of the Optional responses and yellow-text indicating loyalists should go rat out the resistance. Is there a recommendation already in place for how this should be handled?

Secondly, specifically with regard to the initial missions from Flint et al: I've made a start on Officer Flint (Praetorian), and have the content. Now we start with Flint, he explains a few things; then it is off to Reese who explains some more and then off to the Resistance via the Clockwork. As soon as we are told to see Reese then he becomes the active contact, so should his briefings be on his own page? (Or do we consider his mission a brioefing from Flint's page -- we can't click on Reese and get any information about him, for example)

Also noting that defeating Destroyers after speaking to Flint does not gain any INF, I was wondering of this was a bug.

Finally noting that while I am pretty good at adding content to existing pages, I am new to adding new pages; so let me know if I am doing anything wrong.

Cheers -- Taosin

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
Re: Questions on the new content
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 05:57:47 AM »
Firstly, most of the missions seem to have a different method of briefing, what with all of the Optional responses and yellow-text indicating loyalists should go rat out the resistance. Is there a recommendation already in place for how this should be handled?

Sort of.  We have a extension in mind that should help with all the branching dialogue.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:TreeAndMenu

To the best of my knowledge, it's only been installed on the development server so far.

I've been poking at it a little when I have the time and trying to figure out how to make it look less like the example on top and more like the example on bottom:

I have some icons that should work well, but I haven't had the time to dig into making the text indent correctly or actually getting those new icons into the extension.

I would say just try to get all of the info recorded for now.  Make it look the best you can, but don't sweat actually making it look pretty until we can at least get the base extension in place.  (If nothing else we might just try to get the extension loaded as-is and then make that pretty later.)

Secondly, specifically with regard to the initial missions from Flint et al: I've made a start on Officer Flint (Praetorian), and have the content. Now we start with Flint, he explains a few things; then it is off to Reese who explains some more and then off to the Resistance via the Clockwork. As soon as we are told to see Reese then he becomes the active contact, so should his briefings be on his own page? (Or do we consider his mission a brioefing from Flint's page -- we can't click on Reese and get any information about him, for example)

I would use these pages for reference:
* Officer Flint
* H.T.
* The Pilgrim

The first two are set up more as a "one article per contact" style.  The second is set up as more of a multi-contact set of missions.  The precedent to this point is pretty much the first style, but keep in mind that the game has evolved quite a bit since then.  The second style is more recent and might actually be better suited to the Praetorian tutorial.  (I've only had time to run the tutorial once, so I can't really recall enough detail to judge which would be better myself.)

Also noting that defeating Destroyers after speaking to Flint does not gain any INF, I was wondering of this was a bug.

Not earning any INF or XP for defeating enemies in a tutorial zone would be consistent with the CoH and CoV tutorials, so I doubt that's a bug.

Finally noting that while I am pretty good at adding content to existing pages, I am new to adding new pages; so let me know if I am doing anything wrong.

I'll try to keep that in mind, but I often just go in and fix as I find formatting errors.  I don't usually think to mention something to anyone unless I notice a pattern forming.  :)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov