Author Topic: Problem with IO set category pages?  (Read 6290 times)

Sailboat

• Boss
Problem with IO set category pages?
« on: September 02, 2010, 05:01:23 PM »
This page is messed up now.  It wasn't always messed up.  The "% bonus" column now is merged into the "# enhancements" column.  

I tried to revert it to a working version but that doesn't look at all like the Wikipedia pages I have edited before, so I stayed my hand.  The page seems to be a list of formulas that call up info from elsewhere...so it's possible this error affects the other pages like this one that use the same formulas.

I couldn't figure it out at a glance and am reluctant to meddle.  As Orson Scott card said, "Don't mess with what you don't understand."

But it could use fixin' if anyone here knows how to do so.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
Re: Problem with IO set category pages?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 05:03:06 PM »
I'm guessing it's probably DPL related.  Checking to see if I can figure it out now.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 05:47:24 PM »
It looks to me like the "Levels" column isn't being populated, which causes the "#Enhs" and "Bonus" values to slide a box to the left.

(Really strange that Calibrated Accuracy and Thunderstrike show up the way they do, though.)

Still staring at it.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 06:17:50 PM »
Narrowed it down to this block.

Code: [Select]
{{#dpl:
|category=Category:Sets that improve Ranged Defense
|mode=userformat
|listseparators=,,\n,
|includepage={InvSetOverview}ClassName.dpl,{Set Bonus}-EffectLine.dpl
|includematch=,/class\s*=\s*Defense.+?type[1-9]?\s*=\s*Ranged/s
|shownamespace=false}}
|}

Still parsing...

Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 06:55:05 PM »
Found it!  There was a missing pipe ('|') at the beginning of Template:Set_Bonus-EffectLine.dpl.

Now, this does expose something interesting with that fixed, however.

In the cases of the Calibrated Accuracy and Thunderstrike sets, there are two different bonuses for Ranged Defense.  The DPL query catches both and displays an extra two columns for each of those sets.  We'll have to keep looking to figure out how to handle this, but for the most part, the information is available in those tables now.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 04:05:18 AM »
I took a look at this a bit and I'm not sure that there's a good solution to the double-bonus issue. The two best options I could think of are:

• Use a new, different template for one of the two bonuses so that it only gets picked up by DPL once. This would let the original page look the same (we'd need to use a new template that renders the same as the old). It would also let the table render properly. But then we'd be omitting information from the table that users would potentially want. So, bad solution
  • We could update the table's header to add a few extra columns. Any rows that don't extend far enough would still be empty at the end, but at least there'd be some context for those cells floating off the side. Unfortunately, this would then apply to all such lists, even those without double-bonuses. And then what happens if they decide to do a triple-bonus? This just feels plain awkward.
I think the ideal solution would be to have those entries render two lines in the table, rather than a single line that has extra cells. Unfortunately, I don't think DPL can swing that.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 05:04:01 AM »
As I was looking at it, I was thinking the same thing.  "Gee, I wish I could figure out how to split that into two rows."  But I suspected DPL probably wasn't quite that sophisticated.

Actually, I'm just pretty proud of myself for figuring out how to get it as far as I did.  ;D
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin