Author Topic: Formatting dialogues  (Read 24990 times)

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
Re: Formatting dialogues
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2010, 01:28:29 PM »
That's why the green says "might need ltgreen template". Not sure about the red, I can read it fine but if it's difficult for others, we'll have to think of something for it.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2010, 06:41:04 AM »
Did quickie (REALLY quickie) templating for mission objectives and clues to match up with the contact dialogue boxes. This makes them not fade into the background!

However, now it's big blocks of color followed by more big blocks of color, followed by more big blocks of color... Need to choose a color scheme for each one that complements the others but allows a user to find the correct block of color at a quick glance. Don't know what colors to suggest. Recommend keeping the "title bars" the same through each template, just changing the background/"body" text colors (meaning it needs to play friendly with whatever color is chosen for the "title bars", currently goldenrod-ish).

Also, need better icon suggestions for the title bars. :p

(view)
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

taosin

• Boss
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2010, 08:48:16 AM »
> now it's big blocks of color followed by
> more big blocks of color, followed by
> more big blocks of color

Yes it is! I'm so used to the current wiki I'm having issues imagining how this might look when widely implemented, and what impact (if any) it has on the usability and feel of the wiki. I'd imagine a good ToC on each page will become even more important ???

In your example, I'd prefer the Mission Objective to be left justified rather than centre-justified.

Again, my $0.02 worth!

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2010, 06:52:10 PM »
Sample page from a multi-mission, multi-arc contact that includes all of the quickie templates I made for all of the other, non-dialogue templates. Still needs A LOT of work on colors and emphasis, as I think the {{Mission Objective}} box needs to be the most obvious box on the contact page, but right now it's vying with {{Contact Dialogue}} for impact, since they're using the same coloring. I faded out {{Clue}} and {{Ambush}}, and once I can figure out how to twiddle with {{NPC Text}} without ruining the collapsability, it will also be faded like Clue and Ambush, since those are not *as* important as Mission Objective.

EDIT: I figured out the {{NPC Text}} thing. I was having trouble figuring out where to put the style bits, but it's all figured out now. Preliminary color choices made, can probably be made better.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 07:24:03 PM by Aggelakis »

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

taosin

• Boss
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2010, 05:21:49 AM »

Zombie Man

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2010, 06:25:00 PM »

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2010, 01:12:47 AM »
I have twiddled with my mockup (other mockup). I have implemented:

• Faded out the contact dialogue so that Mission Objective is the most emphasized template
  • Replaced "Mission Objective" at the top of the template with the actual mission objective (tentative suggestion)
  • Left-aligned the mission objectives inside the template
  • Made Ambush and Clue thinner than Mission Objective and Contact Dialogue to de-emphasize them
  • Centered and basically-matched NPC Text width with Ambush and Clue (slightly smaller boxes at high resolution -- use of {{hidden}} makes it hard to match exactly)
  • Changed "Unnecessary Solicitation" to "Check-In Text" (aka "Still Busy Dialogue" in MA, but the wiki uses "busy" to mean "too many missions open" already, which would make "Still Busy" confusing)

Regarding white space, none of the other boxes (except maybe MeritAward) have content that works all on one line. They all really need their descriptive titles. There isn't actually a lot of white space unless there are short sentences within a box (creating right-side white space).

EDIT: Regarding {{Mission Objectives}}, how the heck do I get rid of that ugly white padding around the image thumbnails (other mockup)? It's only present if using "thumb" inside [[File:]]. It is ugly!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 01:56:47 AM by Aggelakis »

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2011, 09:20:51 AM »

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2011, 01:10:44 PM »
Cool.  I think that'll work most of the time.

(Prometheus is still a "special" case.)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov