Author Topic: Mission articles  (Read 36986 times)

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
Re: Mission articles
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2010, 01:32:33 PM »
Given that there's no objections to what's been drafted, I think we can go ahead and start moving articles to the Mission namespace. There's already some tip missions that have been created in it, I'll fix their names. I'll also start moving over the missions from the Template namespace. That at least will be a start to the process.

Perhaps create a category for editors to read that includes all the guides and canon for editing the wiki and creating new articles, and have this article as part of that?

That's a good idea. Though at the moment we really don't have many such articles, unfortunately. :/

Is there anywhere written how to see a list of mission templates and then create the appropriate mission article? (I may be missing something here)

I'm not sure such an article exists. I vaguely remember seeing something like that ages ago, but when I tried to find it I couldn't. So maybe I was imagining it.  ???

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2010, 02:19:38 AM »
I updated Azuria to the new templates. I threw her missions in [[Category:Azuria Missions]] (which in turn went into [[Category:Hero Missions]] and [[Category:Starting Contact Missions]]) just to get them categorized for now. I know we intend on putting in some kind of template that will do that automagically, I just didn't want them to be hanging out uncategorized. :)

http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Azuria
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2010, 09:53:29 AM »
Cough cough. That was kind of a prompt for input. :p
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2010, 11:19:40 AM »
/thumbsup

It may be a while before we come up with the templates. No harm in going ahead and categorizing. Though we should probably discuss what kind of categories we want.

Since all of Azuria's missions will be on Azuria's page, I'm not sure we need categories like "Azuria's Missions". The article already organizes them that way, and anyone who wants to see Azuria's missions can go there. Categories should be useful. This category seems completely redundant.

"Starting Contact Missions" also seems dubious. I can see the point in categorizing the contact as a starting contact, but the missions are just level 1-5.

Conversely, a category like "Hero Missions" is much too broad. It will end up with so many missions as to be useless. It's a good parent category, but I don't think we should be putting missions directly into it.

There's a number of ways we can categorize missions:
  • By level. Either by level range or by individual levels. We do contacts by level range, but that's sometimes awkward since a lot of level ranges overlap or start/end at different places. We could continue that, or we could have 50 different categories, one for each level. That's 50 categories as opposed to 15 (based on how many categories contacts have). This can easily be templated so that you can put something like {{leveled cat|Hero Missions|1|5}} and have it yield "[[Category:Hero Missions Level 1]] [[Category:Hero Missions Level 2]] ... [[Category:Hero Missions Level 5]]".
  • By alignment. This is likely to get used in conjunction with other cat types though anyway (such as by level).
  • By type: newspaper, police radio, tip, story arc, etc.
  • Probably would be helpful to have cats for tutorial missions and event missions.
And probably some I'm not thinking of. But let's discuss this and come to some consensus on it.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2010, 03:41:01 PM »
I guess I can see how 50 different level categories might eliminate overlap.  I'm not sure it would be more useful though.  Not that I really have a strong opinion in either direction.

Alignment seems like something that will probably be useful.

Type is also probably rather useful.  I would include Tutorial and Event categories for appropriate missions.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2011, 09:24:04 AM »
Had some time and threw together an infobox for a mission navigation template. Comments, suggestions?

{{{contact}}} and {{{badge}}} could be used to auto-populate mission categorization.

{{{zone}}} COULD be used to auto-populate categorization ([[Category:Missions in {{{zone}}}]]), but many missions are located in multiple zones, so would need to add optional extra zones ({{#if {{{zone2|}}} | [[Category:Missions in {{{zone2}}} }}, zone3, zone4, etc.).

{{{level}}} COULD be used to auto-populate categorization by alignment (would need an {{{align}}} option which doesn't exist as of this writing)/level, as suggested above by Sekoia.

edit: Created some example mission pages here.
edit2: Incidentally, the example mission pages shows a flaw in {{Mission Briefing}}, in that it doesn't properly float left and allow stuff on the right to adjust its width. However, my tinkering with float:left didn't yield any results (they all pushed the briefing text down as if using {{clr}}).

I R CONFUZT.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 09:53:53 AM by Aggelakis »

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2011, 03:27:20 PM »
I made a few change to the template. Most were minor. The only visible one is that I allowed the prev/mission/next parameters to use the full width of the infobox, rather than just the right 2/3. This will look a lot better on missions with long names.

I believe I've fixed the problem in {{Mission Briefing}}. I had to ditch the table and use a two-column div approach.

Looks good so far. /thumbsup

taosin

• Boss
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2011, 03:43:56 AM »
Noice!

I'll play with them (learn how they work!) and start using them on the Grand Wheel of Updates and Edits.

One thing: I would prefer to see Previous Mission, Current Mission and Next Mission left justified.

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2011, 03:58:20 AM »
One thing: I would prefer to see Previous Mission, Current Mission and Next Mission left justified.

They should be left justified. What are they showing as for you, and on what page? What browser are you using?

EDIT: Oh! Do you mean the titles for those sections?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 04:44:32 AM by Sekoia »

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2011, 08:09:29 AM »
Noice!

I'll play with them (learn how they work!) and start using them on the Grand Wheel of Updates and Edits.
Don't play with them just yet - they're not in official namespace (they're in my user space) and the bits and bobs haven't been pinned down yet. :)

That was one of the pieces I attempted to get. However, changing the style for those headers also changes the style for the "Overview" header, so I have no idea how to do it.

However, now that I've been playing around with it for a while, I don't think I would like them left-aligned; it looks a little weird having one header be in the middle and other headers be left.

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

taosin

• Boss
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2011, 06:56:21 AM »
Sekoia wrote:

> EDIT: Oh! Do you mean the titles for those sections?

Yep.

Agge wrote:
> Don't play with them just yet

Even better! <<Taosin=Procrastinate=1>>

> I don't think I would like them left-aligned

Ahh, must be my down-under sensibilities differing from you northerners. I'm happy with how they turn out.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2011, 09:24:13 PM »
Hey, the link in the first post here is missing, so I was wondering: what exactly is the reason for moving all the missions into their own articles?

Also, in this thread, someone mentioned an easy/fast way to flip back to the contact from each mission article - there is currently no way to do that.  I don't recall which one*, but a mission was linked to in another article, and rather than taking me to the contact's page, as I expected (and preferred), it took me to the individual mission page, with some more clicking to do before I got to the contact.

*I'm pretty sure it was a Maria Jenkins mission, but there's no easy way to find out which one, without going through every mission article's "what links here".
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2011, 10:06:21 PM »
I've created a rough Infobox for missions.  I've included it in the Mission:Common - Talk to the Security Chief (Atlas Park) mission as an example.  Thoughts?

Hey, the link in the first post here is missing
Yeah, that post was made on our old forums (pre-Titan).  The site Tony hosted for them has since been taken down.  I think Tony still has an archive of them somewhere, though.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2011, 10:19:14 PM »
Ah, right.  I'd forgotten about this:

For missions that are only offered by one contact, the category of the mission already indicates the contact.

reference

The only missions we should have to tag with the infobox are the ones that are "Common" missions like the Security Chief missions and missions shared by multiple contacts (like the ones shared by Sgt. Suzanne Bernhard and Karen Parker).
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2011, 10:34:13 PM »
So...  what is the reasoning behind giving missions individual articles?  Is it to reduce contact page sizes?  I guess if there's some sort of behind the scenes tech reason that makes sense...  but if it's an issue editing contact pages, I don't get it, since you can edit individual sections.

Or can someone give me a link to that archive?

Ah, right.  I'd forgotten about this:

For missions that are only offered by one contact, the category of the mission already indicates the contact.

That's true, but it's still extra clicking, or even typing, for an article that should be just one click from the individual mission article.

Anyways, the infobox looks good, although for most of the common missions, they're in a specific zone, or have a specific guy (Atlas Park chief, in your example).  Why not include the location/NPC coordinates required in the box as well?  Or is that redundant with the article itself?

Edit:  I should also note I use contact pages mainly for story, especially on TFs.  Sometimes, with a team, the dialog/writing gets lost, and I use the wiki all the time to read it (added since I noted some people mentioning what they use contact pages for in this thread, and it was definitely the opposite of me).
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2011, 12:23:51 AM »
So...  what is the reasoning behind giving missions individual articles?  Is it to reduce contact page sizes?  I guess if there's some sort of behind the scenes tech reason that makes sense...  but if it's an issue editing contact pages, I don't get it, since you can edit individual sections.
Partially (but not entirely), it helps maintain some of the low level hero contacts since each level range has about four contacts for each origin in each level range that all offer the same missions.  If you have to edit one contact, you have to edit four of them.  We were ending up with a lot of inconsistencies between contact pages that should look identical.  And when we went to add merits in the articles... well, things started getting complicated.

Or can someone give me a link to that archive?
Like I said, I think Tony has the archive.  I don't think it's anywhere on the internet.

Why not include the location/NPC coordinates required in the box as well?  Or is that redundant with the article itself?
For starters, the contact for that mission is not the Atlas Park Security Chief.  It's Azuria.  And prior to I21, the MAGI contact in Galaxy had the same mission.  So you'd have to give coordinates for both of the contacts that offered the mission.  (And that would only get worse when you ran into articles like "Be introduced to Jim Temblor".)

And yes, it's redundant to the information on the individual contact pages - which do include the contact's coordinates and zone.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

SaintNicster

• Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2011, 12:28:35 AM »
Like I said, I think Tony has the archive.  I don't think it's anywhere on the internet.
http://oldforums.paragonwiki.com/
Is that what you're talking about?

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2011, 01:35:18 AM »
Well, how about that.  (I hadn't had a chance to ask Tony yet.)

Thanks, Nicster!

Original discussion thread.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2011, 02:51:13 AM »
For starters, the contact for that mission is not the Atlas Park Security Chief.  It's Azuria.  And prior to I21, the MAGI contact in Galaxy had the same mission.  So you'd have to give coordinates for both of the contacts that offered the mission.  (And that would only get worse when you ran into articles like "Be introduced to Jim Temblor".)

And yes, it's redundant to the information on the individual contact pages - which do include the contact's coordinates and zone.

I meant the coordinates of the Security Chief.  If people are going to be looking at that individual mission page, it's be much easier for people to find the Chief if his coordinates are right there, rather than going to his page.  Same for people like Wincott.  Also, although the Zone is pretty obvious in that mission, "Talk to David Wincott" is not as apparent, so why not add a spot in the infobox for the zone (Hollows in that case)?

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2011, 03:04:15 AM »
I meant the coordinates of the Security Chief.  If people are going to be looking at that individual mission page, it's be much easier for people to find the Chief if his coordinates are right there, rather than going to his page.  Same for people like Wincott.  Also, although the Zone is pretty obvious in that mission, "Talk to David Wincott" is not as apparent, so why not add a spot in the infobox for the zone (Hollows in that case)?
If you're on the mission and in Atlas, the Security Chief is your waypoint marker.  If you aren't in Atlas, the mission location says "Atlas Park".  If the mission is "Talk to David Wincott," the mission location will say "The Hollows" and Wincott will be your waypoint when you enter the zone.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin