Author Topic: Tyrant and ED have got to go  (Read 12780 times)

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
Re: Tyrant and ED have got to go
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2010, 07:49:04 AM »
To differentiate between "Enhancement Diversification" as a system and "Enhancement Diminishing Returns" as a part of that system suggests that there are other parts to the system, of which there are none.
Considering Taosin never said that EDR "is a part of" ED, that's wonderful. Taosin suggests that EDR is the "result" or "effect" of ED, which does not suggest thatt here are other parts to ED.

In any case, my stance is still pro-ED.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2010, 04:23:28 PM »
Nitpicking at vocabulary? Then let's nitpick at grammar.

Every effect has a cause; each is a reaction of something else. If Enhancement Diminishing Returns is the effect, then what's the cause? Enhancement Diversification doesn't mean anything by this definition, because the diminishing returns is the only tangible concept that even exists in all of this.

Diminishing returns is a cause, certainly, which results in diminished returns. But that still leaves "Enhancement Diversification" floating out there in la-la land where it doesn't have a meaning. However, I remind you that it does have a meaning in the minds of people: that it refers to Enhancement Diminishing Returns specifically.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2010, 07:16:18 PM »
"Enhancement Diversification" makes perfect sense if you were playing the game prior to the introduction of the system.  Until that point, you six-slotted Stamina with Endurance Recovery, six-slotted powers like Temporary Invulnerability with Damage Resistance, six-slotted Hasten with Recharge Reduction...

When the system was introduced, it forced players to diversify their enhancements.  Since it was a waste to use six slots for the same enhancement in each power, players had to start thinking more about what to do with those extra three slots.

Diminishing returns are just a mathematic mechanical component of the overall system.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2010, 09:35:49 PM »
There you go using the word "component." Now you gotta name the other component(s). (-:

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2010, 09:46:56 PM »
There's at least a major PR component to the system.  :)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Fleeting Whisper

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2010, 11:02:44 PM »
I get the impression that they don't like the term anymore.
Sucks to be them, then. They shouldn't have used 'ED' for five years.

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2010, 11:56:36 PM »
I agree!

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2011, 09:38:05 PM »
The Issue 20 Overview page makes reference to "Marauder" and "Mother Mayhem," but consistently uses "Emperor Cole," leaving "Tyrant" nowhere to be found.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Zombie Man

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2011, 08:54:24 AM »
The Issue 20 Overview page makes reference to "Marauder" and "Mother Mayhem," but consistently uses "Emperor Cole," leaving "Tyrant" nowhere to be found.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Because when our super-powered selves have to battle them, then they're called by their supers name, not by what the citizens call them. When the time comes to battle Cole, I'm sure he'll be called 'Tyrant.'

If this was a DCUO game crossing over into Marvel universe we wouldn't have pages detailing the supered exploits of Clark Kent and Logan, it would be Superman and Wolverine.

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2011, 05:02:19 PM »
When the time comes to battle Cole, I'm sure he'll be called 'Tyrant.'

I wouldn't be so sure about that one. I'm willing to put real money down on him being called Cole if and when we ever do fight him.

If this was a DCUO game crossing over into Marvel universe we wouldn't have pages detailing the supered exploits of Clark Kent and Logan, it would be Superman and Wolverine.

That's true, and unrelated. The point here is that "Tyrant" has been retconned; he's only called that in passing now, and it's clear the devs are going to be calling him Emperor Cole from here on out.

Sleepykitty

• The Napping Cat
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2011, 11:57:49 AM »
*lobs pillow*

@.@ can we at least wait till the issue's live before starting this again? We haven't even met the guy in the upper echelons recently to see what the new version of him will be once his bid for omni-dimensional conquest has started. With the power of the well and all, he might even have a new spiffier name, emperor is such a minor title for someone who's claiming to rule all of creation.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I am Sleepy! Hear me Yawn!

o.o reachable at: My Paragonwiki Page

Zombie Man

• Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2011, 09:16:56 AM »

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2011, 06:13:27 PM »
The whole "Cole" language is role-playing the name he uses for his own citizens.

That's an odd thing to suggest. I had no idea his birth certificate said "Tyrant" on it. I always assumed it was "Marcus Cole." You know... his name. His identity. The thing he is called.

But thanks to Golden Girl, let's review the history:

In each and every single thing you quoted, it's someone who doesn't like the guy referring to him by a pet name. I get it. You don't like Cole. You'd rather call him Tyrant.

You can make up names for people as often as you want. For example, I hereby christen you Bean Brain. And I can convince other people to call you Bean Brain too. In fact, I can even change your forum handle to Bean Brain. But would that mean you're not Zombie Man? Chew on that one for a while.

The character in question has two "official" names in the game lore, and by that I mean things that appear on legal documents. One of them is Marcus Cole, and the other is Emperor. Any other documents containing references to him simply call him T3H_DEV1L, but it's hard to take that seriously as what he should be called.

Zombie Man

• Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2011, 11:56:52 PM »
Your whole point was "but the Devs don't call him Tyrant anymore!"

I showed they do. In and out of the game.

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2011, 03:25:32 AM »
My whole argument is "we should call him Cole, not Tyrant"

Fleeting Whisper

• Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2011, 11:19:50 PM »
Why should we call him Cole, when the character has been called Tyrant in the game and by the devs for years, and continues to be called such today?

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2011, 12:04:22 AM »

Diellan

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • SG/VG Site
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2011, 03:43:27 AM »
I simply feel that Tyrant is a bit less ambiguous. Statesman is also Marcus Cole, so unless you use the full title of Emperor Cole, you'd have to determine from context which one you want (and that you may not always have).

Sleepykitty

• The Napping Cat
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2011, 04:59:39 AM »
o.o its more as, to be absolutely correct with the Marcus Cole issue, we'd have to rename at least 3 articles and possibly more later on as alt versions show. This change would require us to make: Marcus Cole (Statesman), Marcus Cole (Tyrant), Marcus Cole (Reichsman)...

>_> we should at least probably include a link on each of their pages to the disambiguation page for Marcus Cole though... We'll probably be seeing the Shadow Shard version before to long
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I am Sleepy! Hear me Yawn!

o.o reachable at: My Paragonwiki Page

WanderingAries

• Elite Boss
  • @WanderingAries /\ Mostly on Torch
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2011, 11:32:40 AM »
It may just be me (now living in the land of old people the last couple years), but reading the title made me wonder how Tyrant == ED?

Is somebody trying to say that Cole is shooting blanks? Should somebody call Bob Dole for a referal?
Find me on Homecoming:
https://www.homecomingservers.com