Author Topic: When will Mids get Alpha Slot support?  (Read 7316 times)

Dyffwd

• Minion
When will Mids get Alpha Slot support?
« on: January 16, 2011, 02:53:35 PM »
Sorry if there is another thread, I did search.  And I'm not being demanding or feeling entitled.  I appreciate you bringing this superb tool to us for little more than thanks.

The question seems relevant to me with the announcement of the Rare and Very Rare Boosts being unlocked soon (early Feb?).

DeProgrammer

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • DePro Depot
Re: When will Mids get Alpha Slot support?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 06:18:46 PM »
Probably a bit more than a week from now.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 08:55:07 PM »
The last two posts in the Mids 1.91 thread (Diellan gives a little explanation on the delay):

Any update on the upgrade for Mids with Alpha slot capabilities? :)

Current Dev Build:
Alpha Slot works. The UI sucks and it doesn't save/import/export yet, but it works.

Once the UI is replaced and we get save/import/export working (within the next few days, likely), it'll go into QA.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 08:56:41 PM »
Probably a bit more than a week from now.
Bad DeP! I would think Titan would have realized not to give dates anymore. ;) After all, the last two releases for Mids (1.9 and 1.91) were both delayed after giving a specific timeframe.

However, "soon" rather than "soon(tm)"!
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Diellan

• Elite Boss
    • SG/VG Site
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 10:44:13 PM »
Yeah, I'm not giving any specific dates, because we are trying to be rigorous with bugfixing and QA and so such things can delay us a bit. The fact that I have been extremely sick the last 36 hours is also making me miss my personal deadline.

Fleeting Whisper

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 11:10:36 PM »
Bad DeP! I would think Titan would have realized not to give dates anymore. ;)
Aww, he didn't give a date. He said "a bit more than a week". Since a bit is either 0 or 1, it may be exactly a week, or it may be more than a week. So, "Release date ≥ 1 week"

Aren't inequalities useful? :)

velrahnkoon

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 04:49:56 PM »
Aww, he didn't give a date. He said "a bit more than a week". Since a bit is either 0 or 1, it may be exactly a week, or it may be more than a week. So, "Release date ≥ 1 week"

Aren't inequalities useful? :)

He also said "probably".  While I understand the human temptation to equate probably with definitely, it still remains a fact that probably != definitely  :)

I'm super excited about Mids supporting Alpha capability, but I can wait until it's tested.  Better to work right the first time and wait a bit longer.

Hydrofoil

• Underling
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 08:51:35 AM »

Probably sometime after the Judgment slot/power is released.

Diellan

• Elite Boss
    • SG/VG Site
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 12:51:47 PM »

Probably sometime after the Judgment slot/power is released.

Oh, ye of little faith...

Diellan

• Elite Boss
    • SG/VG Site
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 11:31:56 AM »
Weekly update:

Alpha slot is working fine on our dev version, and most of our bugs are fixed. There are a couple things left to do (forum import/export needs to be updated), and then we're done. Since the Alpha Strike Pack is already on Test, though, we are considering delaying the release until that goes Live so that Mids 1.93 can have the Rare and Very Rare enhancement. This will also give us time to throw in a few bonuses, like fixing PvP Set IOs.

Hydrofoil

• Underling
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 05:54:21 PM »
You ever considered releasing the beta version now?

Diellan

• Elite Boss
    • SG/VG Site
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2011, 06:25:42 PM »
You ever considered releasing the beta version now?

I have. It's a... pain. Once it's out there, people will save builds and whatnot, and if we have to change something that'll break those beta saves, it's problematic for the users: especially the users who got the link to the beta from somebody and didn't know it was a beta.

Hydrofoil

• Underling
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 02:32:02 AM »
You could disable the save function. That would solve that problem. And not having complete functionality wouldn't be surprising on a beta.

Diellan

• Elite Boss
    • SG/VG Site
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 09:21:40 AM »
You could disable the save function. That would solve that problem. And not having complete functionality wouldn't be surprising on a beta.

Maaaaaybe. If I were inundated with requests to release a partially disabled beta version, I might. Or a long petition list. I know that the demand for this release is high, so what I'm trying to do is spend enough time to have everything done right now so that the Strike Pack will have a version ready to go live the day it does.

Dyffwd

• Minion
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 04:40:25 PM »
"If you don't have the time and money to do it right the FIRST time, when WILL you have the time and money to do it right?"

"Fast, inexpensive, done correctly.  Pick two."

Having worked in various technical production fields for several decades, the above two quotes are the ones that stand out in my mind the most.

So I'll take it done correctly the first time.  And since it's free to us, I guess my two choices on the 2nd quote are spoken for as well.

Oh, and one more quote for the road.  Honorable mention goes to "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price has been forgotten".

I wish I could recall who to attribute the 3rd one to, I'm not sure if the first 2 are from anyone notable or not.

Thank you all here at CoH Titan for making a quality suite of products to enhance our gameplay.  If I can ever get my income back close to pre-Obama levels I'll be sure to tip.

Diellan

• Elite Boss
    • SG/VG Site
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2011, 06:36:12 PM »
"Fast, inexpensive, done correctly.  Pick two."

This one is the Project Triangle and it's one I use regularly (in fact, I was raised with it, so to speak, as my family was known to quote it). And you're right... You're already getting it cheaply, so it means you have to choose between Fast and Good - and I always write Good code, so Fast gets the boot (I'm also normally Fast at writing code, and I am NOT cheap - same with the other people volunteering at Titan; you guys are getting serious $ value ;)).

Diellan

• Elite Boss
    • SG/VG Site
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2011, 08:14:08 AM »
Looks like the Strike Pack went live a little sooner than I expected... We're implementing it into our Dev version of 1.92, so look to a release with the COMPLETE Alpha Slot soon.

Diggis

• Underling
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2011, 09:57:12 PM »
You are a champion Diellan!