Author Topic: Hero Planner for Ipad?  (Read 10303 times)

Anima

• Underling
Hero Planner for Ipad?
« on: February 02, 2011, 09:43:41 PM »
Has anyone put any thought into making a Mids' for the Ipad?
I know I'd like to have it, make it easier to reference when I'm in
game. As I'm not a programmer, I wouldn't know what would go
into making something like this, but I would hope it wouldn't be too
difficult. Any thoughts?

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
Re: Hero Planner for Ipad?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 09:52:18 PM »
The idea has come up once or twice;)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Anima

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 09:56:02 PM »
Thank you for the links.
I apologize for the redundancy of my question, new to the site.
I suppose those links answer my question too, in the negative , but its still an answer :)

Diellan

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • SG/VG Site
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 06:39:22 AM »
We would LOVE to have Mids on mobile and iPad, but that's simply way too much work to do. I'm as sad as you are.

Kragothe

• Underling
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 10:43:10 PM »
Hmm... Just wondering about this but would it still be too much work to make a mobile version of Mid's if a certain amount of donations were made?

I don't like the way I worded that, but I couldn't think of a better way to word it. Sorry.

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 12:17:03 AM »
Hmm... Just wondering about this but would it still be too much work to make a mobile version of Mid's if a certain amount of donations were made?

I wish I could be more optimistic about this, but having had a run-in with Apple, I can tell you that I'm certain that I personally won't be working on a iOS version of anything.  Android is a firm maybe, when I get time.

However, having said that...

I don't want to raise any hopes about this, because it's not going to happen any time soon, but we have toyed with the idea of making mobile-friendly web apps.  Android and iOS both support browser touch events, which means that while we have no plans on developing any native apps for these devices, we most certainly haven't ruled out making a browser-based app that will work very similarly to a native app on these platforms.

But again, I emphasize, this is a long-term goal, something on the backburner until we get revamps of our existing sites working right and stable.

While we're always appreciative of donations made for any reason, I don't want to overcommit us on that front.  It would inevitably lead to disappointment when we didn't have something to show for it in the near future.

Diellan

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • SG/VG Site
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 01:43:36 PM »
We all want to have a mobile version of Mids (I have both an iPhone and an iPad, and I'd love to be able to mess around with Mids on them). It's less an issue of incentive as it is an issue of time: Mids is incredibly complex and has suffered a good deal of software entropy as a result of the changing game environment, so much so that it'd be impossible to use it as a template for a new character builder - any new builder would need to be built from the ground up. This means that it's simply an issue of needing a lot of time. In that regard, the only thing that more donations would do is maybe give us the ability to hire somebody to do it, and that's got a whole lot of issues we don't have to deal with. :/

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 06:16:22 PM »
Well, it's not quite that gloomy-doomy. We've got some back-end projects in the works (in the form of a slick resource API and a utility to hash out reports like a mofo) that are there specifically to set the stage for updates to things like the online character tracking site, the tracking utility itself, a mobile-friendly build planner and a few other things we have in mind.

Talks about this amongst ourselves have spawned a lot of research. Recent investigations into the feasibility of our technical options (there's a mouthful for ya) have revealed that right about now is a prime time to develop applications in HTML5/JavaScript, which means mobile-friendly apps like a build planner. Like I said in the first paragraph, this isn't just theoretical: I for one am already working to make it happen.

Now, there's still some other stuff to take care of, like the next step of the system that drives the Sentinel tracker, but my current project is essentially a productivity tool that will help all of our work get done a lot faster. With City of Heroes: Freedom looming on the horizon, I figured it would be prudent (to say in the least) to get done all the fancy low-level stuff I've been thinking about, so make of that what you will.

Like Tony said, a mobile planner isn't something that will happen overnight, and donations probably won't be able to make it happen any faster. However, I do want to make it abundantly clear that not only is such a project on the table, it's already on the list of things I'm working toward.

cybermitheral

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 11:44:33 PM »
W00T!!!! - well as long as you dont only create an iOS app (and from what i read above this isnt going to happen).

As much as Id love to use Mids on my smartphone it seems it would be very difficult to fit all that data on such a small screen (I have the Xperia X10 which isnt a small phone) unless I did a LOT of scrolling (yuk). On Tablets however definately (just 1 more reason to buy one along with taking all my RPG pdf's with me).

Kragothe

• Underling
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 06:24:47 PM »
My apologies for the long delay in this reply, I completely forgot I had posted here.

Thank you for not taking my horribly worded question the wrong way. A much better way of wording it would have been "Are there any expenses that would be incurred from making a mobile version that donations might help covering?"

Anyway, thanks for the answer to my question. I absolutely LOVE Mid's and never even consider making a character until I have spent days making sure that the build would be good enough from the math. I don't think I would still be playing the game if Mid's did not exist honestly. I bought a clearance laptop from Micro Center for like $80 just so I could make builds while at work, hahaha. Thanks again!

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 08:15:29 PM »
Development on this has actually begun. We're still doing some feasibility checks, but the technologies at our disposal (both HTML and on our side) are performing well above our expectations.

Fleeting Whisper

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 04:09:04 AM »
Thank you for not taking my horribly worded question the wrong way. A much better way of wording it would have been "Are there any expenses that would be incurred from making a mobile version that donations might help covering?"
Registering as an Apple iStore developer costs $99.
Registering as a Google Android Market developer costs $25.

Our current plans DO NOT require either of those expenditures.
(Of course, you're still free to donate anyway ;))