Author Topic: Badge count skyrockets on one of my characters  (Read 4912 times)

ResidentX

Badge count skyrockets on one of my characters
« on: June 30, 2011, 12:31:37 AM »
Lady Attitude is my oldest character. She had about 21x badges. Diva Attitude is my best performer and she has 210 badges. They have been neck and neck for almost 6 months. Today for some reason, Lady Attitude's badge counts jumps to 279 and I only ran the Eden Trial.

http://jumbofiles.com/ewvyigg95ajp/divavslady.png.html

Can you take a look at this?

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
Re: Badge count skyrockets on one of my characters
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 02:33:36 AM »
It looks like the last 50 badges that were "verified" were:

Code: [Select]
Boulder
Liberator
Protectorate
Acclaimed
Agent
Agent of Praetoria
Alarm Raiser
Behavior Adjuster
Big Dog
Cannibal
Civic Minded
Cluttered
Dean of Hard Knocks
Depths of Time
Do Gooder
Ear to the Street
Encourager
Escapee
Extractor of Secrets
Eyes of the Dark
Fungoid
Going Rouge
Handsome/Beautiful
Helping Hand
Illustrious
Impulsive
Infinite Lives
Judgement Unlocked
Knows He Knows Not/Knows She Knows Not
Knows the Truth
Laughs it Off
Lead-Follower
Locked Out
Loyalist
Marked for Death
Misunderstood
Motivator
Multidimensional
Never Learns
No Authority
Not On My Watch
Old-Timer
Origin of Power
Pain Killer
Persephone Supplicant
Philosopher
Praetorian of Privilege
Praetorian Professional
Primal Praetorian
Rail Rider

Except for those first three, all of these badges (and probably more) were added at 21:46:13 on June 27.  The first three in the list were added on June 29.

Is there any chance that you might have had Sentinel running and left your Info window open as you switched from another character to this one?

You can reset your character's tracked badges fairly easily by going to the character's Manage Badges page, clicking the check box next to "Badge Art" in the right column, and then clicking the "Remove Badges" button in each badge category.  This will bring your badge total back to zero.  You can then log the character in and open the Info window to add all of the correct badges back in.  That should straighten everything out.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

ResidentX

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 01:53:18 PM »
Heartless Attitude my other character jumped from 153 to 236 today.

ResidentX

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 01:54:38 PM »
It looks like the last 50 badges that were "verified" were:

Code: [Select]
Boulder
Liberator
Protectorate
Acclaimed
Agent
Agent of Praetoria
Alarm Raiser
Behavior Adjuster
Big Dog
Cannibal
Civic Minded
Cluttered
Dean of Hard Knocks
Depths of Time
Do Gooder
Ear to the Street
Encourager
Escapee
Extractor of Secrets
Eyes of the Dark
Fungoid
Going Rouge
Handsome/Beautiful
Helping Hand
Illustrious
Impulsive
Infinite Lives
Judgement Unlocked
Knows He Knows Not/Knows She Knows Not
Knows the Truth
Laughs it Off
Lead-Follower
Locked Out
Loyalist
Marked for Death
Misunderstood
Motivator
Multidimensional
Never Learns
No Authority
Not On My Watch
Old-Timer
Origin of Power
Pain Killer
Persephone Supplicant
Philosopher
Praetorian of Privilege
Praetorian Professional
Primal Praetorian
Rail Rider

Except for those first three, all of these badges (and probably more) were added at 21:46:13 on June 27.  The first three in the list were added on June 29.

Is there any chance that you might have had Sentinel running and left your Info window open as you switched from another character to this one?

You can reset your character's tracked badges fairly easily by going to the character's Manage Badges page, clicking the check box next to "Badge Art" in the right column, and then clicking the "Remove Badges" button in each badge category.  This will bring your badge total back to zero.  You can then log the character in and open the Info window to add all of the correct badges back in.  That should straighten everything out.

I always leave sentinel running. I change characters all the time with no problems in the past.  Do I just need to delete all of my badges and /infoself again?

edit: Can I get 47 badges in a day?

« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 02:45:20 PM by ResidentX »

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 02:42:10 PM »
I always leave sentinel running. I change characters all the time with no problems in the past.

Sometimes when they patch the game client there are subtle little changes to how long data persists in memory when switching characters - like the character name or the badges that were in the info window.  If the data persists long enough, Sentinel can sometimes get confused and think it's grabbing a list of badges for the character coming in when it's actually still looking at the list of badges for the character that just left.

I always leave Sentinel running when I'm playing and I've seen times where it'll get confused by the server data and accidentally create new character records for a character I'm logging in on a new server thinking that I'm still on the previous server.  And I've seen the issue you're noticing with extra badges bleeding through from one character to the next once in a while.  Those sorts of things are sometimes fixed by another subtle change in a future patch only to pop up again down the road.

I know, "that's not unusual" isn't a great answer.  I believe Guy's made some improvements in the engine for Sentinel 1.0 to make these thing a more rare occurrence, but (as I find myself saying rather often) we're still working on sorting out things in the back end of CIT so that we can roll out 1.0.

Do I just need to delete all of my badges and /infoself again?

That's the simplest workaround, honestly.  Alternately, we might be able to go in and remove any database entries for a specific character on a specific date if you knew exactly when the badge count got messed up (as you do in this case), but the /infoself capability in Sentinel makes it easier (and way faster) to just clear the badges and re-verify.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

ResidentX

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 02:50:32 PM »
First, I don't think we got the patch till Tuesday morning. I tried to run it late Monday but couldn't.  

Next, I have the same problem you mentioned in regards to my defiant characters showing up recently as Freedom after the GSM. I posted here for a solution but finally just canceled my EU account.

The only thing I can add to this was that I did run the /infoself several time monday and sentinel may not have caught it. I ran them because I was setting up for the WST.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 02:56:54 PM by ResidentX »

ResidentX

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 03:01:38 PM »
One more thing, I did purchase the SteamPunk Pack that morning.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 04:36:10 PM »
First, I don't think we got the patch till Tuesday morning. I tried to run it late Monday but couldn't.
Oh, I'm not saying it was this most recent patch that did it.  That's why I said it sometimes persists through a few patches.

Next, I have the same problem you mentioned in regards to my defiant characters showing up recently as Freedom after the GSM. I posted here for a solution but finally just canceled my EU account.
That one I'm not sure about (unless you were switching from a character on Freedom to Defiant, but I don't think you were.)  Guy Perfect would know more about that.  It might be that the server IDs for the EU servers changed in the merge and something in the Sentinel logic made Defiant's new ID register as Freedom, but I can't really say.

The only thing I can add to this was that I did run the /infoself several time monday and sentinel may not have caught it. I ran them because I was setting up for the WST.
That's probably it.  You probably verified badges on a character that actually did have all of those extra badges and when you switched to the new character that didn't have them, the game changed the character name but didn't clear the badge info that was in memory, causing Sentinel to think that the character you were logging in had all of those badges, too.

One more thing, I did purchase the SteamPunk Pack that morning.
That shouldn't have any effect on tracking badges, I don't think.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

ResidentX

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 10:56:15 PM »
I deleted the badges today. First, I thought I had a solution. Lately, I've been using the "hard" exit from the game instead of the "soft" exit to characters. I thought I fixed my own problem. Then I went online and /infoself two characters, Lady Attitude and Heartless Attitude in that order and I changed using the "soft" exit.

Here are the results:

Lady Attitude shows zero badges still
Heartless Attitude shows 241 when she only had 15x before.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 11:03:26 PM »
I deleted the badges today. First, I thought I had a solution. Lately, I've been using the "hard" exit from the game instead of the "soft" exit to characters. I thought I fixed my own problem. Then I went online and /infoself two characters, Lady Attitude and Heartless Attitude in that order and I changed using the "soft" exit.

Here are the results:

Lady Attitude shows zero badges still
Heartless Attitude shows 241 when she only had 15x before.

There's definitely an issue with Sentinel reporting badges incorrectly when you quit to the Character Select screen instead of the Login or Desktop.  The Character Select option was added after Sentinel was coded, so it doesn't handle that properly.  (Again, will be addressed in upcoming releases, etc.)

I know, the longer it takes for us to get CIT up to speed and get the new Sentinel releases out, the more painful it gets.   :-\
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

ResidentX

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 02:12:43 PM »
Are you sure? I had no problems with it until this week.

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2011, 03:59:15 PM »
Sentinel hasn't changed since December. (-:

ResidentX

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2011, 04:00:23 PM »
The badge problem started this week. I never had this before. I had problems with delayed logins with Sentinel but the badge miscounts just started this week.