Author Topic: What can I do to help further Mids??  (Read 12614 times)

Crytilis

• Minion
    • Legacy-X
What can I do to help further Mids??
« on: August 15, 2011, 11:21:16 AM »
What would be required of me if I wanted to help with the continuement of Mids Hero/Villian Designer? It's really a great program and wouldn't mind helping out if I could. I have some graphics design experience as well some coding and database knowledge. Mostly I'm more familiar with the LUA and Purebasic languages.

I think it would be awesome to be able to give back to the CoH community and help out where I can.

Diellan

• Elite Boss
    • SG/VG Site
Re: What can I do to help further Mids??
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 06:26:57 PM »
Mids was originally written in VB.net, and has since been partially ported to C#.  You can apply to join the development team, or the Titan Network in general, which has a variety of other projects, some related (City of Data, for example, does not have a dedicated developer).

The code of Mids is not open source, by request of Mids himself, so if you don't join up with the Titan Network as a developer, I wouldn't really be able to utilize you for much.

Crytilis

• Minion
    • Legacy-X
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 05:33:58 PM »
Can totally understand that where would I need apply?

Diellan

• Elite Boss
    • SG/VG Site
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 06:53:14 PM »
Uh... Usually, you contact TonyV and chat with him about it, and then you'll get access to the Developer Recruits forum where you can ask questions and whatnot.

Crytilis

• Minion
    • Legacy-X
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 07:11:17 PM »
Will do thanks Diellan

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 09:58:31 PM »
Say, how good are you at HTML/CSS/PHP/Javascript development?  The reason I ask is because we've been seriously talking about making the next major hero planner an HTML 5 web app, not a standalone app.  (Although as an HTML 5 app, if it's written right, it could function without network connectivity if need be.)

Crytilis

• Minion
    • Legacy-X
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 03:09:51 AM »
I would say I'm intermediate with HTML 5 as some of the new APIs I'm not yet familiar with. I'm better with PHP and Javascript, as for CSS to be honest I'm not that great with but I do get around and accomplish what I need to.

Have you thought about using LUA? It's a great language and very powerful it can easily accomplish what your trying to do as far as being able to function independently without network connectivity. Just a suggestion of course, mainly because I love the LUA language its so powerful and you can do just about anything with it.

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 04:41:50 PM »
Have you thought about using LUA? It's a great language and very powerful it can easily accomplish what your trying to do as far as being able to function independently without network connectivity. Just a suggestion of course, mainly because I love the LUA language its so powerful and you can do just about anything with it.

I understand, but egads, we're already swimming in different languages.  One thing I'm trying to do is encourage standardization on our toolset, and Lua isn't really on our radar.

Crytilis

• Minion
    • Legacy-X
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 05:52:42 PM »
I completely understand was just an idea I thought I'd throw out there. But I am definitely available to help with the project if you can utilize me.

I have been working on another project for CoH using LUA that allows you to have more autofire powers, but in a simulated way using simple keybinds and reading recharge data. But I am having a bit of a problem with it as without a better understanding of the C API and intercepting some DLL calls (Not to modify anything just to read certain data.) I am unable to obtain the results I'm looking for. It works, just not as well as I'd like it.

Diellan

• Elite Boss
    • SG/VG Site
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 11:42:27 PM »
The bigger issue is that not many people know LUA, so it'd be harder to find somebody to maintain the code when you moved on.

Crytilis

• Minion
    • Legacy-X
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 08:36:36 AM »
Point well said, it was merely a throw out to see what your opinions were on it. But as I said I am capable of doing other languages and various things includes GUI and Intermediate graphics design.

Jumpman

• Underling
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 07:44:56 PM »
If you are needing PHP/HTML/CSS/JS people, I may be able to help as well.  CoX really NEEDS an online (& ideally mobile friendly) hero/villain planner.  If there's something I can do, let me know.

JM

Crytilis

• Minion
    • Legacy-X
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 08:15:38 PM »
Once the online side is revamped I could easily port it over to an Android App =p

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 09:39:09 PM »
You mean the fact that Android natively runs HTML5 applications will be easy for you to handle? (-:

Crytilis

• Minion
    • Legacy-X
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 09:59:06 PM »
LoL Whatever man I know several different coding/database languages here's just some of the languages PHP, SQL, HTML5, LUA and a few others. But think what you like.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 10:09:28 PM by Crytilis »

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2011, 03:36:49 AM »
LoL Whatever man I know several different coding/database languages here's just some of the languages PHP, SQL, HTML5, LUA and a few others. But think what you like.
Don't get snappy, it doesn't help your offer to help. Guy Perfect was commenting that the new planner is going to be in HTML5, which doesn't require a port to Android. It doesn't need a port to iOS either; it can be used on most (all?) modern browsers, so it's usable on netbooks, laptops, and desktops.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

KAZMAICOH

• Underling
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2011, 04:42:17 AM »
Say, how good are you at HTML/CSS/PHP/Javascript development?  The reason I ask is because we've been seriously talking about making the next major hero planner an HTML 5 web app, not a standalone app.  (Although as an HTML 5 app, if it's written right, it could function without network connectivity if need be.)

This is a bit off topic but, what would be the difference in the standalone and a web app?

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2011, 05:00:05 AM »
Honestly, the main difference is that a web app is immediately portable across most platforms, including PC/Macs, Android, and iOS. Also, we don't have to worry about things like having to pay fees for developer licenses, app store distribution, etc.

The main downside is that programming in JavaScript/HTML 5 is a lot more low-level. There aren't any robust frameworks nearly as advanced as native app development frameworks and tools. So what you save in not having to develop on multiple platforms, you have to give back some for not having native libraries available for many features.

Also, it is very difficult to make a web app have a native app "look and feel," so it's usually not as intuitive or easy to use a web app for someone who is really familiar with a platform or device. In other words, a web app on a iOS device is going to work slightly differently than a native app, and if the developer isn't careful, those slight differences can turn into major annoyances for the end users.

Crytilis

• Minion
    • Legacy-X
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2011, 05:49:00 AM »
Don't get snappy, it doesn't help your offer to help. Guy Perfect was commenting that the new planner is going to be in HTML5, which doesn't require a port to Android. It doesn't need a port to iOS either; it can be used on most (all?) modern browsers, so it's usable on netbooks, laptops, and desktops.

I wasnt getting snappy, I already know that android uses HTML5 natively and that the new planner is going to be done in HTML5/PHP/JS. My point was although he was merely commenting he was also being a smartass at least from my point of view (I may be wrong but that is how I saw it). And as far as helping goes I merely offered to help you can either choose to use it that is up to you. And on another note TonyV is right when you use a language that you can easily cross platform with (which is usually a low-end language) such as HTML5 you lose alot of capabilities that other more powerful languages offer natively. And although I do see where I may have caused confusion in my previous post. I meant to say if you should ever choose to make it an actual web application not just a page that utilizes HTML5 and a couple other languages that I could help with the porting over to another platform. But personally if it were me (and its not) I would use JAVA or LUA...very powerful languages and easily used on multiple platforms. I understand this may not be practical either though since not alot of folks understand the JAVA or LUA languages, which is sad really the syntax of both languages aren't hard in any means to grasp LUA by far is one of the simplest in terms of learning and relation with other language syntax's. If you have prior knowledge of programming in just about any language you can use LUA it's really not hard at all. I urge you all to look at it...I'm sure you will be surprised how easy it is to understand.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 11:17:39 PM by Crytilis »

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2011, 04:42:16 AM »
...he was also being a smartass at least from my point of view (I may be wrong but that is how I saw it).

Guy?  A smartass?  I'm shocked;)

I think you may have confused what we mean when we say a "web app."  We're specifically talking about a client-side application that runs completely within the browser.  We can't use Java or Lua, because most mainstream browsers don't natively support Java or Lua.

I'm not saying that Lua is hard, I'm only saying that it's not really suitable for the purpose of building a client-side web app.  And while it may be easy to you, there's still a learning curve involved that everyone else at the Titan Network would have to go through if we wanted to use it for any back-end work, plus a learning curve I'd have to go through to get it set up and configured to process HTTP requests and make sure it's secure and efficient.

If it ever becomes more mainstream as a web platform, or if there's something that just screams out that it would be much more easy to implement in Lua than in one of our standard languages, I might change my mind.  But for now, I just can't imagine that it will happen anytime soon.  I might look at it at some point, but probably not as a server-side web language.  If anything, I might give it a glance-over to implement parsing functions in a native client-side app if we ever need to, for example, develop a scripting language or something.  From what I understand, that's where Lua is really in its element.